Stringing Tutorial with photos: Stringing on Serafil, Beaders Secret & Power Pro

Here is a detailed explanation. Directions may be hard to follow so once again check out the Jane Gordon YouTube video.

1. Measure out at least 4x string of finished necklace. BW uses 5 to six times but you can have more tangles with a lot of thread.
2. Mark the half way point with a pencil or sharpie.
3. Tie a big knot on one end.
4. String all of your pearls and/or beads and move them to the knot.
5. String 1/4 inch of French wire or gimp and move to to your half way mark.
6. String your clasp.
HELPFUL HINT: keep your needle near the other end of the knot with only a few inches of tail or excess string. You will be pulling three thicknesses through and this can be tight on some pearls. It significantly reduces tangling if your not working with a long tail.
7. Bring th first bead up to the clasp and thread it the other way through.
8. You are now ready to begin stringing.
9. Experiment with the type of knot you need with the hole and thread thickness to not have the knot pull through. Here is where you can determine if a simple square knot will do or if a surgeons knot will help. Sometimes you might find you need a larger thread as well
10. Knot the entire strand excepting the last three pearls.
11. Snip the knot and string those on the needle end.
12. Place the French wire and other end of the clasp.
13. Keep a small space between the pearls
14. Back thread through each pearl and knot.
15. I use a tiny bit of hypo cement and let it dry overnight but this is optional.

Hope this helps someone. It took me a LOT OF trial and error to come up with what works best for me. There certainly are many ways to do this that might work well for them!!

I was asked to repost this in the correct place under the read. Now that I found the correct thread, I see that you have covered all of this before in expert detail. Sorry for the redundancy!

Never too much info on stringing and knotting ... Thanks!

Can we please post good sources for clasps? I'll start:

Rio Grande
Bella Findings
Kimarie Designs
pearl vendors like Pearl Paradise, The Pearl Outlet, etc. also sell clasps by themselves

We must include Sheri for her Octo/Mermaid clasp.... IMG_1214.jpg

I sometimes encounter this problem of the two threads twisting around each other quite tightly. So much so that it becomes impossible to pull them through. They aren't tangled up, just twisted into a tight coil. It's only happened either at the beginning or end few pearls - basically following stringing on the clasp components. Any suggestions for me? Am I doing something wrong? It happened again today but I realised I can use my awl to hold the threads out taut to unwind the coil as I pull through so at least I have a fix now.

IMG_8260.jpg

IMG_8262.jpg

Last edited:
I find it necessary to spread out the thread like this so as to control the tendency to twist as it's going through the tighter space at the first and last few pearls, where there are 4 thicknesses of thread that have to fit in the drill hole. I pull the thread through slowly; that also helps.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Using fingers to spread the loop.jpeg
    Using fingers to spread the loop.jpeg
    38.2 KB · Views: 41
Yes! This can happen; the awl is a good solution. I do keep the threads parallel and untwisted as much as possible. I keep a straight pin handy to use to slip in the loop like you do the awl, Hanadama. (Those silver pearls are something else!!!!) For me it's always those tight ending pearls and I'm holding my breath~

Great photo, Pearl Dreams.

I have had that problem too but the awl helps in that I keep the two threads quite apart on the awl and pull very slowly. I also redrill the last three pearls so that the threads make it through firmly but easily. If it's hard to pull then it seems to twist the thread more or even separate the twist in the thread and then it can tangle. it's a pain when it happens. I run a needle through the tangle and slowly untwist it. I keep my finger on the thread while i'm pulling it through as well.

Yes! This can happen; the awl is a good solution. I do keep the threads parallel and untwisted as much as possible. I keep a straight pin handy to use to slip in the loop like you do the awl, Hanadama. (Those silver pearls are something else!!!!) For me it's always those tight ending pearls and I'm holding my breath~

Great photo, Pearl Dreams.

I basically follow this same process (and hold my breath!) But also by sure to test all of your end pearls before you string them & ream as needed. I also glued a smallish darning need inside a large oval agate, which I constantly reach for to undangle or unknot.

Thanks for the photo, Pearl Dreams. This is what I do too. Plus hold my breath, go slowly and pray a lot :)

This old embroiderer's trick has helped me with the twisting: Periodically when stringing and/or knotting, let the loose thread drop down and hang free, with the needle at the end, toward the floor. Allow the needle and thread to dangle for a minute or so, nudging if necessary, to allow the thread to unwind any tension and twist it's acquired. Do this every so often as you go along. Won't help with twist added as you go through the last few pearls, but it's amazing how much twist thread can gather even just in stringing beads.

This old embroiderer's trick has helped me with the twisting: Periodically when stringing and/or knotting, let the loose thread drop down and hang free, with the needle at the end, toward the floor. Allow the needle and thread to dangle for a minute or so, nudging if necessary, to allow the thread to unwind any tension and twist it's acquired. Do this every so often as you go along. Won't help with twist added as you go through the last few pearls, but it's amazing how much twist thread can gather even just in stringing beads.

Yes, I do this too, Cathy! It's amazing how easily a little twist can dangle your thread!

This thread is so interesting and informative! I have a question, although maybe there is another thread for this- I notice some pearl sellers ask what size hole to drill. How do you know what size?

Good question, Sue Bee. Mostly it depends on how you will use the pearl. Let's say you want to make a pendant. If you already have a bail, you can measure the thickness of the post and request the hole be drilled slightly larger; same thing when making a pair of earrings.

Most strands are matched and drilled before being offered for sale, so one has to work with whatever size the holes are, usually 0.70mm to 0.90mm. The stringer than has to adjust the thread size to fit the holes. Usually the larger holes are in the heavier/larger pearls, but it can vary.

Back