Australia unveils the unique 'Paspaley Pearl'

KAC

rr_2011_10_04.jpg

Dubai, UAE: Paspaley, the jeweller renowned for producing and retailing the most beautiful pearls in the world, has yesterday (October 3rd, 2011), unveiled the rare Paspaley Pearl during an event held in the Bridge Suite of Atlantis, The Palm resort. It is the first time that the 'pearl of pearls', which is on display for a full month in the UAE, has travelled to the Middle East region.

The Paspaley Pearl was unveiled by His Excellency Douglas Trappett, Australian Ambassador to the United Arab Emirates, in the presence of James Paspaley, Executive Director - Paspaley, among other dignitaries. Paspaley partners in the UAE with Damas, the region's leading international jewellery and watch retailer.

Nicholas Paspaley AC, Executive Chairman of Paspaley, said: "This is only the 3rd time this precious pearl has left Australia and the overwhelming response we got from the UAE is remarkable. The Paspaley Pearl was sent to Dubai as part of celebrations to mark the refurbishment and re-launch of the Paspaley Boutique in Atlantis, The Palm resort."

Harvested in 2003 from a Paspaley pearl farm on the Kimberley Coast in Australia, the Paspaley Pearl is among the finest natural or cultured South Sea pearls ever found. A rare white, round pearl with a strong pink orient, the Paspaley Pearl is more than 20 millimetres in diameter. Its combination of size, shape and beauty is so perfect that it is known as 'The Pearl of Pearls'. In 2005, the Paspaley Pearl was placed on display at the Smithsonian Institute in the United States of America as part of a unique, global pearl exhibition, showcased alongside some of the world's most famous gems throughout history - such as the Hope Pearl, the Pearl of Kuwait, La Peragrina - the magnificent pearl forming part of Elizabeth Taylor's private collection, and The Hope Diamond.

The Pearl is now on display for two weeks at the newly refurbished Paspaley Atlantis Boutique, before being moved to Paspaley's Mall of Emirates' boutique for another two weeks.

Serge Zaalof, COO of Atlantis, The Palm resort, said: "The United Arab Emirates has a proud and long pearling history and we are very honoured to have the remarkable Paspaley Pearl showcased in Atlantis. We encourage people to visit this unique Paspaley Pearl, because this is a once in a life time opportunity to be able to see one of nature's beautiful treasures."

Paspaley's Atlantis boutique has recently concluded a glamorous makeover, ranging from installation of marine blue carpet hand-loomed in Australia through to elegant custom-made walnut cabinetry and luxurious leather finishes from Italy. One of four boutiques in the UAE, the store's refurbishment and re-launch is testament to Paspaley's strong interest in and commitment to the Emirates. The boutique is open from 10am-10pm throughout the week and 10am-Midnight on weekends.

-Ends-

About Paspaley:
Paspaley's involvement in pearling dates back to 1935 when Nicholas Paspaley's father, Nicholas Paspaley Senior MBE, first collected mother-of-pearl shell in Australia's northern waters. He established a family concern that has evolved to become the world's leading South Sea pearling company. Paspaley nurtures its pearls on a remote network of farms, stretching more than 2500km across the pristine waters off the northwest coast of Australia - about the same distance as London to Moscow. Consistent quality and supply are the hallmarks of Paspaley - a reputation achieved only through an unwavering commitment to the pursuit of excellence and the principles of quality. These standards have ensured Paspaley South Sea pearls are much sought after by the world's leading jewellery houses and has made the Paspaley name synonymous with the most beautiful pearls in the world.

About Atlantis, The Palm, Dubai
Atlantis, The Palm is a 1,539 room, ocean-themed destination resort located at the centre of the crescent of the man-made Palm Jumeirah in Dubai. This US$1.5 billion joint venture project was developed with Dubai Government owned, Istithmar. Opened in September 2008, the resort utilises the 46 hectares site with 17 hectares of water park amusement, further marine and entertainment attractions and a collection of some of the most renowned world-class chefs including Nobu, Giorgio Locatelli, and Michel Rostang. Atlantis, The Palm offers an unprecedented entertainment centre, an impressive collection of luxury boutiques and shops and extensive meeting and convention facilities. It is home to one of the largest open-air marine habitats in the world, with some 65,000 marine animals in lagoons and displays including The Lost Chambers, a maze of underwater corridors and passageways providing a journey through ancient Atlantis.

Full Article: http://www.zawya.com/story.cfm/sidZAWYA20111004101312

Since Dubai is mentioned I can veer slightly off subject. The pearls that they have in the transit shopping area at the Dubai airport are rubbish - and expensive. I talked to an Australian woman who had just bought a really ugly strand of orange peaches with hardly any lustre for over $100.
I did resist the impulse to A) hand over my card B) Nerida's card c) unzip and display my carry-on (full of HK show booty)
#sigh

"In 2005, the Paspaley Pearl was placed on display at the Smithsonian Institute in the United States of America as part of a unique, global pearl exhibition, showcased alongside some of the world's most famous gems throughout history - such as the Hope Pearl, the Pearl of Kuwait, La Peragrina - the magnificent pearl forming part of Elizabeth Taylor's private collection, and The Hope Diamond."

And so were "Cortez Pearls" and "Mikimoto Pearls" and "Jewelmer"'s Pearls and Tahitian Pearls and "Eyris Pearls"...this paragraph is sooo "cheesy". I mean: we were ALL there.

And it is "La Peregrina" ("The Pilgrim" in Spanish) and not "La Peragrina" ("The Grinning Pear"?). Wish they had placed a photo of this "Pearl of Pearls"... can anyone share a photo of this pearl???

I have two versions of the book published by the Smithsonian ("Pearls: A Natural History)...but I could not find this "Paspaley Pearl" in photo nor in the text. The book is -of course- non-commercial so it does not really refer to pearls by their "brand" nor "trademark" so this is understandable...but are there any photos out there in the (net) "wild"???

Ok...found one site called InternetStones.com with a reference to this "Pearl of Pearls". The included image is of a white SSP with ros? overtone, perfectly round, silky luster...size cannot be gauged from the photo so I don't know if this is THE PEARL...
paspaley-pearl.jpg

And...I found yet another photo: one of Jeremy holding this prized pearl and you can see how large it is. Click here for Blaire's Photo of Jeremy AND THE PEARL.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Since Dubai is mentioned I can veer slightly off subject. The pearls that they have in the transit shopping area at the Dubai airport are rubbish - and expensive. I talked to an Australian woman who had just bought a really ugly strand of orange peaches with hardly any lustre for over $100.
I did resist the impulse to A) hand over my card B) Nerida's card c) unzip and display my carry-on (full of HK show booty)
#sigh

Wish you had done all of the above! I know you didn't want her to feel bad.

Yeah, You look like the Pearl King! Or maybe that claymation guy who sells hotel.com on tv?

Attachments

• hoteldotcom.jpg
    hoteldotcom.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Back