Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Silly question: can creamy WSS be bleached to white WSS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silly question: can creamy WSS be bleached to white WSS?

I guess the answer is probably "no", but I hope to confirm. Just out of curiosity as the other day I watched some Akoya oyster opening broadcast on Youtube and a majority of the pearls were cream or peach, which reminded me that most Akoya pearls were bleached (then many get pinked), which lead me to wonder can this be done to the WSS whose body color are not so white? I know WSS are not heavily processed and the high quality ones do not need this but is it viable to bleach? Does the thick nacre of WSS make this bleach processing less effective/not helpful at all?

What you saw were Chinese freshwater pearls, cream and peach, which had been implanted in the dead Akoya oysters.

Your question isn't silly at all, StarryPearl. There have been many "secrets" of the industry that have been revealed, and I'm sure some which haven't. My impression is that bleaching isn't done to WSS and there is minimal processing. Akoya nacre is much thinner and can be bleached, as you've noted. How are the darker WSS valued in comparison to bright white is something I'd have to research. I have heard that in a WSS harvest, pearls as dark as Tahitians can appear.
    Last edited by pattye; 03-05-2021, 06:10 PM.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Comment

Peach colored akoya pearls don't exist as far as I can remember. You must have seen the "pearl party" kind of show. Those pearls are inserted in the dead oyster and put in chemicals to prevent the oyster from decaying. There's a thread about that on PG.
      And as far as I know, wss pearls are not bleached. There are treatments to improve the luster. Some dull whites are dyed to make them marketable.

Comment

Thanks, Pattye and Paraltje. The video I saw was one from this channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAgT...l=ThePearlDude I doubted it as well because their blue "akoya" pearls looked nothing like mine, and some dark-colored looked like skillfully dyed. However, the oyster shells did look like they were tightly shut as if alive, and the relatively soft edge of the oysters looked intact and not like pried open before. Wondering how that could be done.

I learned on this forum that WSS are not bleached. I guess it will be very very difficult if possible at all to do that on creamy WSS pearls, otherwise the creamy ones can be processed and sell at better prices - again, just hope someone who tried or read about it can confirm.

Comment

Originally posted by StarryPearl View Post
          Thanks, Pattye and Paraltje. The video I saw was one from this channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAgT...l=ThePearlDude I doubted it as well because their blue "akoya" pearls looked nothing like mine, and some dark-colored looked like skillfully dyed. However, the oyster shells did look like they were tightly shut as if alive, and the relatively soft edge of the oysters looked intact and not like pried open before. Wondering how that could be done.

I learned on this forum that WSS are not bleached. I guess it will be very very difficult if possible at all to do that on creamy WSS pearls, otherwise the creamy ones can be processed and sell at better prices - again, just hope someone who tried or read about it can confirm.
          They are dyed freshwater pearls inserted in dead oysters. No natural akoyas found in live oysters look like those pearls.

Comment

Originally posted by Pareltje View Post
            They are dyed freshwater pearls inserted in dead oysters. No natural akoyas found in live oysters look like those pearls.
            Thank you for confirming that, Pareltje! I recall that I saw on this forum natural akoyas look greenish, grayish, or yellowish. Was surprised to see pearls in that video and thought of getting some. Now I won't.

Comment

There can be natural white (in reality a very very pale grey) but mostly natural colour akoya are grey to blue or pale to deep gold (you get a green pearl when blue and gold meet).
              I watched a bit of the video and those are all freshwater pearls from akoya shells. All fakeo razzamatazz.
              You can order specific sizes, shapes and colours via sourcing websites like Alibaba for around $1 a pop.
              Author:Pearls A Practical Guide published by Crowood Jan 2021
              www.pearlsapractical.guide

Comment

Too bad Donna and the others were scammed by this person. This should be illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by lilliefuzzysocks View Post
                  Too bad Donna and the others were scammed by this person. This should be illegal.
                  It should, but they "fly to low under radar" to be of interest to authorities.
                  The saddest part is that they build an illusion about something that is -in a way- "magical" (in a true sense), which is being witness to the birth of a pearl, just to make a profit.
                  Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
                  Follow Me!
                  Instagram
                  YouTube

Your Life evolves in the same way a Pearl grows: with continuous layers of experiences/nacre that add to the Story of your Life on Earth and make you Unique and Beautiful.
                  Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Comment

Originally posted by CortezPearls View Post
                    It should, but they "fly to low under radar" to be of interest to authorities.
                    The saddest part is that they build an illusion about something that is -in a way- "magical" (in a true sense), which is being witness to the birth of a pearl, just to make a profit.
                    Many of these scammers made themselves, and their families ill. Opening these night after night with the fumes from the formaldehyde floating inside in their homes and touching their bare skin. Some even had children involved with the openings.

Comment

Well, forget my "Silly question: can creamy WSS be bleached to white WSS?", does anyone know if AlohaHawaii on Etsy's vacuum packed south sea pearl oysters are also this kind of fakeo?

Comment

Well, forget my "Silly question: can creamy WSS be bleached to white WSS?", does anyone know if AlohaHawaii on Etsy's vacuum packed south sea pearl oysters are also this kind of fakeo?
                        While in a group from the UK looking into this industry I ran into someone who bought these pearls in the shell from this place. The woman was doing the reveal parties and bought tahitians and freshwaters from them. The tahitians were very low quality pearls coming out of the shell and after opening aprox 5 of them determined she couldn't use them for her business. She attempted to return the unopened stock but was told you had to return the whole lot unopened for your money back. She then showed me the ones she had opened, pitted and culls. By the way, do you really want to play with formaldehyde and its cancer causing chemical reaction in your home?

Comment

All pearl opening operations should be avoided.
                          That's it.
                          Author:Pearls A Practical Guide published by Crowood Jan 2021
                          www.pearlsapractical.guide

Comment

Originally posted by lilliefuzzysocks View Post
                            While in a group from the UK looking into this industry I ran into someone who bought these pearls in the shell from this place. The woman was doing the reveal parties and bought tahitians and freshwaters from them. The tahitians were very low quality pearls coming out of the shell and after opening aprox 5 of them determined she couldn't use them for her business. She attempted to return the unopened stock but was told you had to return the whole lot unopened for your money back. She then showed me the ones she had opened, pitted and culls. By the way, do you really want to play with formaldehyde and its cancer causing chemical reaction in your home?

I see what you mean. I never bought and will never buy pearls/oysters like those. Actually I don't even like white Akoya with pink-overtone anymore (no offense to Akoya lovers!) after learning they are bleached and dyed pink. I have quite low tolerance of un-natural thing in terms of pearls and gems.

I asked because I saw someone bought two from them and got pretty decent look of WSS and GSS, and I was skeptical but debating whether I should tell her vs. that would ruin her happiness, then I thought I should at least make sure those are what I thought they are first. Thank you for sharing the story, lilliefuzzysocks , I am sorry for that person. That return policy really sucks.

Comment

Yes, they are...all of these ventures are playing to a primordial need in us Humans...we want to find a treasure! Your only real bet is to visit a farm and harvest pearls with the farmers.
                              Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
                              Follow Me!
                              Instagram
                              YouTube

Your Life evolves in the same way a Pearl grows: with continuous layers of experiences/nacre that add to the Story of your Life on Earth and make you Unique and Beautiful.
                              Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Comment

Working...
                              X