Help! How do you choose the right color for your skin tone?

whicker

I have been impressed with your ability to choose the colors that enhance your skin tone. How do you do that from pictures on the computer?

I just bought my first PP strand and earrings, and I didn't get the right colors. They are quite beautiful- the exotic metallic peach strand and 2 pair of color changing pink gold earrings from the PP special August sale.

I'm darker blonde, brown eyes with gold flecks and warm gold tones to my skin. I can't wear white. I look best in rich "Autumn" color palette. An example of coloring is Catherine Denueve. She is a pearl girl, too...

Ideas?

My first strand was a Freshadama with silver rose tones...but I have cool pink undertones and it matched my skin a little too much. They look fantastic on my daughter, though-- she is paler than I am. The metallic whites work better for me because they stand out more against my skin.

Lavender/pink pearls also seem to blend in too much on me and make me look washed out. (Silver jewelry does the same, all the more now that my hair has turned mostly gray.)
Golder tones seem to work better for me. (But pale yellow golden SSP look terrible on me.)

So...my advice is to try colors that contrast with your skin tone. If there are any local shops selling colored freshwater pearls, go in and try a few on just to see how the colors look.

I haven't been able to find shops carrying natural color cultured pearls. Until I found Pearl Guide, I didn't know the rich variety available. What is available are the poor quality bleached generic white akoya wanna- be from China. Or costume faux. Even the up scale jewelery stores carry Mikimoto or similar.

That is unfortunate...it's best then to only buy from online vendors who have a good return policy (but I understand that wastes money on return postage.)

Are there any beading supplies stores in your area? They would carry inexpensive loose pearls.

Does the Intergem show come to your area or within reasonable driving distance? There should be lots of temporary bead strands you could check out. Bring a pocket mirror! But remember that fluorescent lighting is different from natural light.
see locations of upcoming shows here: http://www.intergem.com/shows/upcoming-shows/southfield-mi-2-days-only-march-2-3

Another option is to buy some inexpensive naturally colored freshwater pearls on eBay or Etsy, or from an online bead shop like Fire Mountain Gems, just to try out the colors. But of course that means more money spent....

Pearl Dreams, Thank you for the ideas.
Does anyone have a sampler color strand? The Mac air shows better color than the pc image, but it still isn't anything like the real pearls.
I'm taking the G.I.A. on-line pearl course, and going to the Washington, D.C., G.I.A. alumni group meetings. I'm planning on going to Tuscon with the P.G. group. Hopefully, I'll be able to fly out to meet Jeremy and Hisano Shepherd in late September. Can't wait to see the PP pearl vault!

There is a intergem show this weekend within an hour of me!
Please, tell me more about how to prepare to do this adventure. Do they just do lower end beading pearls? Are there particularly good spots to visit? Do they let you walk to natural light? (It's a big box convention center)

Get the coupon for $1 off admission by giving them your email address, if you like.
You can return the next day free if you get a pass stamped.

It's been about 5 years since I went, but I've been about 4 times. Chinese FW pearls have been improving in the intervening years so they may have better quality pearls now than they did before. I would say before they were beading grade.
There are also sellers of higher end finished jewelry.

Wear comfortable shoes! Bring not only your credit card but also checks in case some sellers prefer a check. Ask about quantity discounts.

Yes, definitely go to the show. Lay them across your wrist- you will know right away!

Ooo! I wish you could go with me! So Much Fun!
I've been holding back to buy for real at PP or pearl guide members. I need to learn more before I do quantity.. Hmmm... What would I get in quantity? What is a good beginner starter project?
Who has well made gold findings and clasps for future projects?
What is an easy clasp design for fingers that don't want to bend? (The day after heavy garden work or a pulling horse)
The only knotting I've done is braiding horses manes and tails.. Do you need any chestnut, or black mane or tail hair? It's stiff and strong.;)

I am Chinese and had my colours analysed a while ago, and was informed that orange/brown/beige/cream/peach/yellow metal do not suit me, which did not came as a surprise as I never liked those colours when I was being dressed by my mum!

I avoid pearls that are peachy in colour as they do not suit my yellow skin tone.

I prefer white with silver or rose overtone for white pearls, and blues/greens for Tahitians, as they go well with my hair which is 90% white.

I can wear lavender providing it is bluey and not peachy.

Having one's colours analysed should not cost too much, and it takes about an hour.

DK :)

I meant to say to lay the pearls across the inside of the wrist, because that is most like the skin at your neck. Betty Sue King had a Tahitian pearl station necklace with all the colors of pearls. The green jumped out as my color and the colors I thought would look best did not. I love peach pearls, but they don't look good on me. Sellers use peach and apricot almost interchangeably - another reason to see them in person! :)

Hmm.. I had my colors done many years ago, which is where I got the term, "Autumn". The clothing and colors that work well for me are warm russet, brick, cobalt blue, turquoise, coral red, coral pink, ocher gold, gold, deep orange, orange-gold, chocolate brown, amethyst purple, ivory. Black has to be far away from my face. So peach should have worked...

Back