Show Us Your Pearls In Action!!!

Wow! Some really beautiful things to catch up on! Karman I love that arrangement and so nicely done! BW--enviable collection to say the least. Sunseeker--gorgeous Chinese Kasumis!

And certainly not least CMD--that is one GORGEOUS necklace. Congratulations!

So beautiful! How long is your rope? I love the mix of WSSP, GSSP and Tahitians!

So pretty, I love the combination of different types of pearls and shapes.

It's so pretty I had to turn it upright for you!

IMG_8187.JPG

SunSeeker& BWeaves - I inadvertently missed your pearls!

BWeaves, I love the layers of akoyas! The druzy quartz nexkace is funky yet stylish. .

SunSeeker, your ripples are so colourful, they look beautiful on you.

Thanks hanadama and CathyKeshi!

BW - love your multiple pearl strands worn together
SunSeeker - I have a bracelet just like yours! I love the metallic lustre and all different colours. I should probably give mine more love.
cm2014 - this strand is drool worthy! I would love a mixed South Sea/Tahitian strand like yours!

I'm wearing some small Tahitian studs today, just about 8.5mm. I got them from a pearl supplier across Canada and has some great quality pearls for pretty good prices. I prefer larger studs in general (9mm+) because they fill my ear lobe better, but for Tahitians I actually like the smaller size. I also have my hair up in a bun today, so the studs don't get lost in my sea of dark hair :D

I love that these have a cherry/plum eye... I love colourful Tahitians!
IMG_0901.JPG

I wish my piercing was a bit more centered on my ear lobe so these small earrings can actually fill the space!
IMG_0898.JPG

Those studs are lovely!

Believe it or not, I think the earring hole can be too high, and they other types of earrings don't sit right.

old man reply

old man reply

I knotted this mixed size strand over the weekend with the Beader's Secret thread that just arrived from Pattye last week! Pearls are nothing fancy, just a few inexpensive strands from Wen on Etsy.

I didn't know a knotting thread could change my life, but it just did with this strand. When I was knotting with silk thread, I've gotten good and was able to get the knot right up to the pearl, but not without pulling very hard on the thread to make sure it's stretched out completely when I tighten the knot with tweezers (that's with pre-stretching the silk, too). That's caused quite a few "thread burns" on my hands and even blisters on my very first necklace!

Not with this stuff... now I know why it's so popular and why everyone highly recommends it! I will use up what silk thread I have, and never buy or use it again. I'm still glad I learned to knot with silk so that I can really appreciate how easy it is to knot with Beader's Secret. In total this necklace took me just a little over an hour, even with my first time messing with gimp and pearl glue!

View attachment 50207

More than likely it was expected that I would comment to the negative on using anything other than silk on pearls. We have done a few necklaces with the synthetics . I never have had blisters for soreness from using silk and I have, in the past strung and knotted all day for several days on end. But, be that as it may I don't and non of my stringers use any aids, tweezers, needles, tooth picks or what ever to knot..Only the 10mm plus strands require additional help because the weight of the necklace has a tendency to cause the knot to drop. The silk wound around a card with the needle attached isn't to hot or easy to use. As the picture shows your knots all seem to go the same way so there is no kinks in the finished strand, kudos. As I remember it is braided silk and not twisted. Even twisted in the wrong direction can cause problem. We were out of the most common weights, ( I can't relate the weight because it is in Japanese on the spool. We think it is in grams ) when our agent in Japan gave use a few spools each weighing couple hundred grams. Many places are switching to synthetics because silk is getting expensive as are all labor related products. I might have a video of either myself or my daughter doing a 18' without tools. Clean hands and clean nails are a requirement. My daughter is as good as my mother was who started our company in 1939. Our company had a little story about it and can be read here.
http://midamericajewelrynews.com/fe...colorful-past-of-his-treasured-gem?newsletter
Giod Bless and be well

Fakey, fakey. Mom's Majorica faux Tahitians.

IMG_2734.jpg

This is a gorgeous set of costume jewelry. But I kept feeling like I am cheating on my real pearls.
Plus, the earrings hurt my ears after about 8 hours.

I think I'll see if Sister wants them. I think she might be up for a swap.

More than likely it was expected that I would comment to the negative on using anything other than silk on pearls. We have done a few necklaces with the synthetics . I never have had blisters for soreness from using silk and I have, in the past strung and knotted all day for several days on end. But, be that as it may I don't and non of my stringers use any aids, tweezers, needles, tooth picks or what ever to knot..Only the 10mm plus strands require additional help because the weight of the necklace has a tendency to cause the knot to drop. The silk wound around a card with the needle attached isn't to hot or easy to use. As the picture shows your knots all seem to go the same way so there is no kinks in the finished strand, kudos. As I remember it is braided silk and not twisted. Even twisted in the wrong direction can cause problem. We were out of the most common weights, ( I can't relate the weight because it is in Japanese on the spool. We think it is in grams ) when our agent in Japan gave use a few spools each weighing couple hundred grams. Many places are switching to synthetics because silk is getting expensive as are all labor related products. I might have a video of either myself or my daughter doing a 18' without tools. Clean hands and clean nails are a requirement. My daughter is as good as my mother was who started our company in 1939. Our company had a little story about it and can be read here.
http://midamericajewelrynews.com/fe...colorful-past-of-his-treasured-gem?newsletter

Giod Bless and be well

I'm just a beginner knotting pearls for fun :) I'm a perfectionist so the tools help me get the results I want while I'm still not very good at it!

Thanks Pearly Whites and BW! And yes I agree, I have some very large costume jewelry earrings that I have no issues putting on my ears because there's so much space.

I love your Majorica set!

cmd: Actually, I think it looks great with that T-shirt. The color and neckline are perfect. Of course, I love pearls with denim. The necklace is stunning. Congratulations.

Sunseeker: Wow, what a great bracelet. That particular rope is 34 1/4 inches long. My blue akoya rope is 35 inches long, and my Hanadama rope is 36 inches long. They nest perfectly, but it was complete serendipity.

Thanks BW, how lucky that your ropes nest so well together! And your fakey, fakeys have beautiful overtones!

Thanks, hanadama and Karman. Karman, those earrings are precious and look great on you!

Trying to catch up here, wow, you all have been busy!! Going back aways, PD, I love your pinky-lavs; really big! Cool shapes too! Amazing how many shades of pink and peach pearls can be!

BWeaves, especially love the sapphire ring, my birthstone, very Diana with the diamond halo. The pistachio and blue akoya worn together, amazing!! Bet they vibrated; I'd never have thought of wearing them together. That Kojima keshi necklace, wonderful!

Wearing cashmere and Tahitians, so classy with the long ropes, JP and Karman and BN and others! I'm blaming the moths for ruining my style this year, grrrrr, holes in the old wool sweaters.

Charisyl, your GSSP ring is lustworthy and gorgeous deep shade!

Hanadama, loving the long Tahitians, your silver T's look so reflective! And great layered also!

Karman, your Wen pearls & silver beads look so summery! Glad the necklace went together easily!

Sunseeker, what a fun combo the Kamoka T and pink freshwater rope! And the huge ripple bracelet, love the colors!

CMD, fabulous Tahitian rope; that's one you'll treasure forever!

P-W so many opps to add a gemstone pendant or another type pearl to the keshi rope! I do like the dark pearl, but WSS will be lovely, too. Or Sea of Cortez, though they don't get really large as a rule.

Norm, thanks for sharing your story about your business and interest in pearls! Gudbrod stopped making silk thread about the time I started knotting, larger, heavier pearls became available; I then went on the hunt to find a viable thread to take the place of silk. and because I'm a freak about color, Beader's Secret developed. Thanks so much, Fans! What a truly creative bunch we have here!

Back