Name the Pearl!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BAS View Post
    I think of ripples as Edisons "gone wrong". Though I personally love metallic ripples. I wonder if ripple producers started out trying to produce round pearls, and then, perhaps to their astonishment, the ripples became popular? Despite the ability to produce glorious round lustrous bead nucleated pearls -- there's a real market for ripples, which are also improving rapidly -- look at the HG ripples a few on this forum own!

Jeremy, Kevin -- can you give us the history of bead nucleated freshwater pearls, or point us to an article about their history? I'm interested in the Edison/Ming and ripple connection.
    That is exactly what they were - Edisons gone wrong or pre-Edisons, if you will. The first strand I ever saw was one that Fuji Voll brought to the Tucson show in February of 2008. It was one of the first "in-body bead-nucleated" strands produced. Before this, all Chinese freshwater, even beaded production, was grown Chinese-style in the mantle and not Japanese-style in the body.
    https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2567

Here is an article a few years later:
    http://www.ssef.ch/uploads/media/201...from_China.pdf

Chinese producers were trying to grow large rounds. Ripples are not what they were trying to grow, and I agree that they were "surprised" when they suddenly became somewhat popular. They weren't even bringing them to the shows.

It's sort of the like blue baroque akoya. Most people in the states didn't even know they existed until just a few years ago because the producers didn't know anyone would want them. They weren't white or round.
    Jeremy Shepherd
    President and Founder
    PearlParadise.com, Inc.
    The PearlParadise.com YouTube Channel
    PearlParadise.com on Flickr
    PearlParadise.com on Facebook
    Some of My Favorite Pearly Finds on Instagram

Comment

Agree, Jeremy. If only because BNFP is just a mouthful to say or type. The name will have to be an organic success though - winning the competition won't be enough on its own. A good name will spread, like ripples or souffle, without any decision. but a bad name could win the contest then disappear'
      Also agree that Edison is a terrible brand name! The reasoning was sound (ish) but the end result was not good.
      Author:Pearls A Practical Guide published by Crowood Jan 2021
      www.pearlsapractical.guide

Comment

Would "cultured freshwater pearl" be confusing because there are bead nucleated and regularly produced ones (what are the non-bead nucleated ones called?). The term cultured pearl for saltwater pearls implies a bead nucleus, right?

Comment

The regularly produced ones are already called cultured freshwater pearls. Cultured just means farmed, not that the pearl has a bead.
          Jeremy Shepherd
          President and Founder
          PearlParadise.com, Inc.

Comment

I put in an entry. I would tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

Comment

I put in an entry too. Can we say our name ideas here or does that mess something up?

Comment

I would wait a while to be sure that they got it. Maybe they will set up a list of entries so people will know what has been taken.

Comment

farmed doesn't sound so posh. I remember a woman coming up to a display I had once, the friend clearly wanted to buy something but woman turned to friend and said 'of course I have proper real cultured pearls at home'
                  Author:Pearls A Practical Guide published by Crowood Jan 2021
                  www.pearlsapractical.guide

Comment

Must agree with Kevin on this one, dump Edison and keep MING. It sounds Chinese and is already associated with Chinese pearls. Easy enough to use Ming ripple, rippled Ming, smooth Ming.

From what I saw of Honora's offerings on QVC, they are already doing just that, with plenty of rippled pearls being called Ming. Yes, there will be a learning curve, but oh well, there always is.
                    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Comment

Originally posted by pattye View Post

From what I saw of Honora's offerings on QVC, they are already doing just that, with plenty of rippled pearls being called Ming. Yes, there will be a learning curve, but oh well, there always is.
                      The original Ming pearls were ripples: http://www.ssef.ch/uploads/media/201...from_China.pdf

Ming came before Edison, not after. Grace was the company that succeeded in getting rid of the ripple effect on the surface of the pearls and then started calling them Edison Pearls.
                      Jeremy Shepherd
                      President and Founder
                      PearlParadise.com, Inc.

Comment

Very interesting ! I knew the basics but it was great to read the article that you provided Jeremy. Thanks for that. I too think that they should just keep it Ming. Easy name to remember, people are already familiar with it and it's Chinese.

As to the name ripple ... I used to see the Chinese sellers on Ebay call them "Furrow" pearls. I thought that was quite an interesting word to use and that it had probably come up in 'google translate' from a chinese adjective for the surface texture. lol
                        https://www.instagram.com/pearlzaustralia/?hl=en
                        https://www.etsy.com/shop/pearlzaustralia

Comment

I agree with Kevin and Pattey for all the reasons already stated; they should adopt the name Ming and drop Edison.

Comment

Just curious, are Chinese Kasumiga-like pearls also the same as Edisons, Ripples, and Mings? ..same cultured process in the same mollusk?

Comment

Originally posted by jshepherd View Post

One of my closest friends in Hong Kong is also the president of the Hong Kong Pearl Association. He told me that during his tenure the biggest thing he wanted to accomplish is finding a name for beaded freshwaters made sense, was easy to understand and not owned by a company.
                              I believe I was there for one of the conversations about this, but my question would be is Micheal going to promote a name that the CPAA comes up with or vice versa? Given the cultural and language barriers I'm not sure both sides are going to agree on a name.

What is their objection to calling them "Mings"?

Originally posted by jshepherd View Post
                              Have you ever come across ripples being referred to as "ripples" in Hong Kong or anywhere off the Internet? I haven't. The term ripple was invented on the internet by CC of Australia I believe, and still lives on the internet as far as I know.
                              This is true, CC does deserve credit for coining the name. When I first brought ripples back in 2013 I called them "Kasumi-like freshwater pearls" because nobody was using the name "ripples" but CC and I didn't want to piggy back on her marketing. I later adopted the term when it was clear that the ladies in the forums were already set on calling them ripples and calling them anything else would just be creating confusion.

The name doesn't extend past a couple of online sellers and the various pearl related forums like pricescope, the facet lounge and PG. If you asked for ripple pearls at any jewelry store or trade show booth all you'd get it blank stares.

Originally posted by SunSeeker View Post
                              Just curious, are Chinese Kasumiga-like pearls also the same as Edisons, Ripples, and Mings? ..same cultured process in the same mollusk?
                              As I mentioned above this is partly my fault as I promoted the name "Kasumi-like" pearls in 2013, although there may have been other sellers doing so as well.

Kasumiga-like = Ripples, same thing.

Edison pearls = round bead nucleated FW pearls produced by Grace Pearl co.

Mings = Generic Bead nucleated FW pearls
                              Kevin Canning
                              Pearls Of Joy
                              www.PearlsOfJoy.com
                              Read My Blog
                              FaceBook Fan Page
                              1-800-451-1411

Comment

Kevin, thanks for the clarification!

Comment

Working...
                                X