Pearl rings - What's hot, what's not?

KAC

So I'm in the process of designing a line of pearl rings and since we have never carried a line of rings before I'd love to hear some member feedback on the issue.

What are your likes and dislikes when it comes to pearl rings? Do you like large single pearl "cocktail" style rings, or smaller more understated rings? Do you like other gemstones mixed in or do you think the pearl(s) should stand on its own? Akoya, Tahitian, golden & white South Sea pearls? - what types of pearls do you think look best in a ring setting?

What makes the perfect pearl ring to you?

HI:

Pearls are such glorious jewels that rarely beg to be accompanied--but if they must, only very simply; single round or baugette diamond set next to the orb.

In addition, I do enjoy high carat yellow colors (22k) next to golden pearls--elegant, rich, even 'exotic' in appearance.

JMO

cheers--Sharon :)

Have any of you seen a ring that has a removable pearl? One of the ladies in my office designed a ring for Reese Witherspoon earlier this year that had a "mystery clasp" setting which allowed you to basically unscrew the pearl and replace it with another. It works really well with South Sea (golden and white) and Tahitian pearls.

We have yet to market the piece, however, because I am nearly certain I have heard of a similar design before, and I am not sure whether or not it is a trademark design. It was hugely popular, though, and we have already sold a lot privately. It is just a simple (yet thick) band with no stones - just a big pearl.

I agree with Sharon. I like pearls set simply, without a lot of other stuff going on around them. I've also always been cautious about pearl rings, because I have been afraid of damaging the pearl.

Jeremy, that sounds amazing. What a great idea. Love to see a photo if you have one.

youngster

We have yet to market the piece, however, because I am nearly certain I have heard of a similar design before, and I am not sure whether or not it is a trademark design.

This idea, is also familiar to me, but from where....see if I can "find" what is trying to inform my thoughts.....

cheers--Sharon

I had come back from a buying trip and they were quite excited to show me this new design, thinking it was completely original. But I had a feeling about this one...like I know I have seen it before but I just cannot remember where, like that face in the crowd. I would really like to know as we would otherwise consider launching a whole line based on the concept. It is a great piece, but it might not be ours...

pearl rings

pearl rings

Usually pearl rings do not make justice to the pearl no matter how big or glorious it is.
Pearl ring has to have two supporting arms proportionally designed and filled with 1 or 2 points round diamonds.
Or using colored gem stones aside or with, will also add to the pearl elegance.
:( Sorry that's the way I see it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every one of my friends that had an akoya engagement ring, wore the ring out- and ended up with nothing but the bead. One marriage worn out about the same time as the pearl... You really do not want to wear such a ring on a daily basis- It can't take it for long.

Here is a picture of a ring my mom made from a baroque Bahraini pearl after she lost the other one from a set of earrings. I like the setting because it is very secure and protective. It would also look good with a round pearl.

This ring has been worn for about 32 years since it was reset. I don't wear gold, so it went to my elder daughter.

Attachments

• baroque pearl ring 008.jpg
    baroque pearl ring 008.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 36
pearl rings

pearl rings

Caitlin,
That is exactly what I had in mind. Round pearl is too standing out to be left alone free in "space". Any support, gold, diamonds, arms, gems, will add to the beauty of the round pearl. Things will be different with other shapes.

HI:

Very pretty! One in every color would suffice......

Still trying to find the origin of the "interchangeable" stone--the versitility of this old idea has made its way into popular jewellery styles/forms; but it's origin? Victorian jewellers had their way with brooches, but rings? Maybe Faberge? Cartier?

Anyone from the antique travelling jewellery show out there? Christies? Inquiring minds must know.....

cheers--Sharon

pearl ring

pearl ring

Jeremy,
I've seen that ring already in "Pearl Paradise".
It is simple indeed; the pearl is beautiful, the band is pure shape, but for me there are no proportions between those two. I just do not find it nice.
I see jewelry as a small sculpture ( harmony and proportions between its parts, balance ).
I forgot one important thing! Jewelry is not only a little sculpture but also something you use/wear, so it has to be functional too. The ring you showed will be just uncomfortable to wear.

You mentioned uncomfortable...can you expound on that a bit more? It has not yet come up here. Is it because the pearl is too high? No, that would not be the case because any setting would be the same with a larger pearl. Sorry, thinking and typing at the same time...

I don't think I like the Reese ring very much. The pearl just looks too vulnerable sitting alone up there! I do like Caitlin's mom's ring. I like metal woven around a pearl in some way, which serves as protection and as part of the design of the ring. Caitlin's mom's ring has an organic look to it which is very neat.

Jeremy
The metal woven around the pearl not only gives protection as Youngster wrote, but also, from the design point of view, adds to the balance; the round shape of the pearl is too big to stand alone.
No comfortable to use because it will bump in things, must be taken off before washing hands, dishes..... you know, we do those things.
I have a beautiful 2cm. coral ring and it's the same story, I can use it only on special occasions.
It is very difficult to find a nice pearl ring and I think that the reason is that good designers are not involved in the process.
Finally, I prefer pearls on necks, ears, pendants, BUT WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A NICE PEARL RING TOO !!! ( I have already 2 ugly ones..... )

pearl rings

pearl rings

I like simple bezel set mabe. I do not like pearls with diamonds it can detract from the beaduty of the pearl possibly use a colored gemstond to matceh the ticture such as a ruby with at "pink rose" I also do not like clusters they are big bulky and garish... but I do not like cliusters of any gemstone..... and teh i black and one white pearl combo is overdone... while these are my opinion alone.. these are all good styles to consider...

Ash

Ash,
Simple bezel set mabe can be just perfect, but I was reffering to round pearls. No diamond can detract from the beauty of a pearl, nothing can, as I see it. Gold, diamonds, colored gems will increase the elegance and the nobility of a pearl.

Pearl-Ring styles

Pearl-Ring styles

Hi, members of the forum!

I have a gold ring with a pearl. The setting is in the form of a crown so that the pearls sits relatively safe. Otherwise I do not like rings with pearls. They are either too vulgar if they are set with gemstones or the pearl is too large, it just looks cheap in my opinion. The Reese-ring is not nice to look at proportionally. Too large pearl, the setting too simple.

I agree with some of the members - pearl rings are too easy to damage, I prefer rings with diamonds or other gem-stones. The setting of Caitlin?s mums ring does look nice though!

To the other question about the designer ring, it is possible that the original is in Renee Newmans book " The Guide to how buying ...." I don?t remember quite well the title, however, there is a ring with a Tahitian pearl I think, that has two axels that could be just such a ring...

Inge Jernberg:)

I think that pearl rings are tricky, I've seen very few with big pearls that I really like. I think their size and height often make them reminiscent of big '60s "cocktail rings", and they're often uncomfortable because they are 'top heavy' and swing around on the finger too much.

I like the gold ring that Caitlin posted...I like its balance. But if that's a big pearl, then that's a pretty big ring, too!

For some reason, I do not care for pearls with colored stones...I'd stick with small diamonds, or nothing at all.

I've attached pics of my two pearl rings...one a crossover seed pearl ring from the turn of the century, the other (mabe or flat-bottomed baroque, maybe?) from the '20s.

Bogus

Attachments

• UntitledStitch.jpg
    UntitledStitch.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 35
I had not given a thought to a pearl ring until this thread came up. I had my daughter bring mom's ring over so I could take a picture.

I think pearl rings are risky jewelry for everyday wear because they wear out in mere years if you wash dishes or otherwise treat it like a diamond engagement ring.

I have known several Margarets, Ritas, and other pearl girl's names whose husbands picked an akoya pearl ring for the engagement. Don't do that. Give your Pearl-named girl a necklace or earrings-anything but a ring if you want the gift to last unless you pick a solid nacre ring!

Now my mom's ring is one that has been worn often- but never to wash dishes or hands, or to put on lotion. It is a natural pearl from the Persian Gulf, so ordinary wear and tear will not take off the nacre like it does on an akoya pearl ring. If it does wear, there is always more nacre underneath, so it can be worn for generations and already has been.

So, I strongly recommend a natural pearl if you want a high quality, expensive pearl ring to outlast you!

If you want an inexpensive solid nacre pearl ring, try cultured Chinese freshwater pearls. They are the cultured pearl closest to the original wild, natural pearls.

Jeremy,
Would you please ask Reese what those earrings she wore at the Oscar were? We have differing points of view on that represented in this forum!

Also- here is my critique of your design. It is very stark, clean, almost industrial or spaceship. On the finger, the pearl is what the ring is about and only the pearl. This is not a ring worn daily for sentiment, but as an occasional ornament, meant to be worn as part of an ensemble It would never be worn to do housework to to a job either- except a board meeting, maybe--- it is for public occasions-
Interchangeable pearls make it interesting and make me wonder what else you could use those pearls for- a pendant that you can change the pearl on? A singleton drop earring?

Back