Pearl rings - What's hot, what's not?

My husband's aunt has a pearl ring,similar to Jeremy's. It's a white pearl,perhaps 8mm,set in gold and it takes my breath away. I love it. I love solitare type pearl rings. I know pearl rings are impractical and not suitable for everyday wear,maybe for dinner out etc. I'd purchase one in a minute.

Karen

nlerner said:
how about this combination?

I love it! (taking back what I said earlier about colored stones with pearls:rolleyes: ) I like the muted, almost 'pearly' look of the gemstones.

Bogus

nlerner - that combination is great, those colors work perfectly together!

I think their size and height often make them reminiscent of big '60s "cocktail rings
You mention that as a bad thing, but cocktail rings are hugely popular in Europe right now, with Gucci, Erica Courtney and the likes all coming out with lines of these large rings.

I'm already seeing large fake gemstone cocktail rings around, so love them or hate them they are back "in".

I actually do like them, I think they're size and garishness makes them a fun piece of jewelry.

nlerner said:
Ash,
Simple bezel set mabe can be just perfect, but I was reffering to round pearls. No diamond can detract from the beauty of a pearl, nothing can, as I see it. Gold, diamonds, colored gems will increase the elegance and the nobility of a pearl.

My apologies, I must have mid-read something I was in a hurry....Forgive me... I am looking

Ash

ps. I am looking at some rings to see what to get for my mom for her B-day. Problem is she has never met a pearl she has not liked....

Back to hunting...
Ash

nlerner, until i saw your ring, i didn't think that colored stones and pearls look good together!

although i know that diamonds ang pearls shouldn't go together because of the risk of scratching the pearl, i think that pink diamond melees will blend together with pearls with rose overtones, or yellow diamonds with different shades of tahitian pearls. etc. etc.

since i design my own jewelry, i'll post a pic once i have one done so keep the ideas coming!

this new forum is really well appreciated not only by pearl experts and consumers, but artists and designers as well.:cool:

As I informed earlier, once I get something done, I'll post a pix so here it is.

I used tahitians interchanged with 18k matte finished gold balls. It also has a matching bracelet with the same clasp design.

Hope you enjoy the pix and tell me what you think about it!:)

Attachments

• tahitian set.jpg
    tahitian set.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 35
Perlas,
Pearls, diamond, colored stones will never scratch each other because they do not run free.....:) , they sit firmly in their settings.
Yes, I would go for golden pearls with yellow diamonds, grey pearls with aqua marine or blue topaz, but also with white diamonds, white pearls with white diamonds but also with other colored gems, as in the pic.
It all depends on the design.
The possibilities are infinite !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I happen to love pearl rings but find them really hard to wear! I hit my hands on everything. In terms of gemstone pairings, I really love the look of Tahitian pearls with light blue topaz as accents. Personally, I feel the best setting for a pearl ring is just the pearl itself. Pearls are so extraordinary that they really don't need sidekicks.

I just happened to stumble into these rings at Fairchildjewelers.com, designed by Michael Jensen...

I really really like them (especially the top one)...and I rarely find pearl rings that "speak to me"...

Bogus

Attachments

• Pearls26.jpg
    Pearls26.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 38
Someone earlier mentioned swag necklaces could be popular in the near future. This morning while flipping through channels I did notice a country singer star had on a jewelled swag necklace.

Love those large baroque pearls with the setting 'folded' around their shape - in any form they come from plain metal to anything but plain.

To me, the greatest thing about rings is that they inevitably show one or a few pearls up close, so their character and color gets appreciated without much consideration to matching (as in a strand).

The last memorable pearl ring I've tried on (and unfortunately stopped there about it...) was a very simple one from Paspaley. It looked much like the simple ring-on-band ring posted up this thread, only that the pears were relatively larger (some circle, button and rounds also) and the shank thinner (~2mm) round section, like a wire. I can't even say that the rings were truly eye catchers in the box - all one could see were the pearls. However, the effect of large pearls floating over the hand achieved with these on was something else.

Agreed that some tapering elements are useful for balance on large pearl rings... but frankly, nothing seems to help significantly with a large pearl! Better without, then?

Small, interesting pearls might seem allot more at home on rings - I always loved Widget's trefoil!

And pictures:

The funny 'Galaxy' rings mentioned first were from Paspaley Pret a Porter (bottom-left on the intro page for the collection). Can't link to the specific image on the Flash site.... The general link is THIS.

Not sure if he next is really 'second' to anything - the 'Sylphides' by Hubert Heldner (LINK) have been around for a while, always just as fascinating!

There are more (and less surprising, perhaps) pearl things at the same address. Including THIS...

The pearl rings by William Richey rung the wake-up call on freshwater pearls for me.

In rings, large button pearls rule... wouldn't you agree? ;) See this LINK.

Always wanted to have pearls set in a nautical design. And recently, a rope-like ring brought that idea up again. :cool: The combination seems so matter of fact, I wonder why it isn't a common choice. Is it?

I like so many styles really!
I think mabe pearls make great cocktail style rings and look great with white metals and yellow. With a big pearl i don't think you really need sidestones. I have one I love.
But I also like the idea of a pearl ring with a diamond halo or sidestones. My mother has a ring from the 20s that I think is an akoya ( it has a lovely rose tone to it) and it has small sapphire sidestones.

I saw something on Ebay that I liked by Robert Elliot. Very small pearl stackable rings and each freshwater pearl was a different color.

Oh nlerner, it's gorgeous!

Back