I want to know.. What started your Love of Pearls

Welcome, PurpleRose!!

As far back as I can remember pearls have been a part of my life. My mother and grandmother always wore pearl necklaces, bracelets, rings and brooches, often mixed with other gems. They wore only saltwater or natural, and said that freshwater and baroque pearls were not equal to Akoyas, SS or Tahitians! This was back in the 80's! That explains why they gave me the 100" baroque akoya flapper rope - my mom still won't wear baroque pearls! They gave me a few pieces while I was quite young, but I didn't really appreciate them until I reached my 20's. My mom has a lovely collection of pearls, but won't let me photograph any of them...she's funny that way... I, on the other hand adore all types of pearls, and since becoming a pg member I've learned to appreciate the love, hard work, determination and care that goes into the science and subsequent beauty of pearls!

I was a bit of a nerd, and was just a young kid when dialup internet became a thing. When kids were playing with toys, I was on the internet researching things I was interested in. I've always loved gemstones, so I did a research project on birthstones when I was in grade 5 or 6 and pearls were always my favourite (because I was born in June). I still remember using our horrible bubble jet printer to print all those photos of gemstones on a black background...the horror!

Around the same time, I was back visiting family in Hong Kong, and my cousins took me to a very fancy buffet at the Intercontinental Hotel, and they had a (now I realize dreaded) pick-a-pearl booth there. The only thing was, one oyster was included per table, so we didn't have to pay for it. I picked an oyster, had it opened up, and inside was a perfect cream pearl. I didn't care if it was worth anything (I was not even a teen), I didn't care if it actually came from the oyster, all I cared about was that it was pretty.... my cousins gave me a little glass jar and I put the pearl inside, and it stayed with me for years. It always reminded me of my time with them, and I would take it out once in awhile just to admire. I'm not sure where the jar is now, but I'd assume somewhere at my parent's house since I didn't pack everything up when I moved out after school.

When I was in my late teens, I got my first part time job and had lots of disposable income. I bought lots of things, one of them cheap pearl jewelry from eBay. I still have the pieces today and while they may not be the best quality, I enjoy wearing them, and they are great for every day wear. I was pretty much hooked after this. To this day, I still don't have very many pieces, I have a few good quality pieces from my now husband, and a beautiful Akoya strand passed down from my mother that i wore on my wedding day. I hope to expand my collection soon with some top quality pieces, and I can only DREAM about that amazing the $40k South Sea 36" strand that is on Blue Nile right now!!

My love of pearls began when I started working with Mikimoto pearls around ten years ago. I have been lucky enough to see some amazing high end pearl creations and unique pieces with stunning baroque and conch pearls. As a valuer, I have seen some amazing natural pearls with lots of age to them which are fascinating. Whilst visiting trade shows and studying with Gem-A, I have learned a lot and I spend quite a bit of time teaching about pearls and other gemstones.

I started to love of pearl when I first saw my precious one natural pearl from true giant clam called tridacna gigas last year 2016 month of August. I am working as cadet engineer and was assign to excavate the foundation of pump house for the electric power plant. The pump house is 20 meters more or less beside seashore residence said it was a consumptive sea area before long time ago. We excavate the soil using a heavy equipment "backhoe" 60 feet more of less below and I saw a giant clam weighing 5.9kg with something inside. I tried to hit with hammer and I was amazed because it doesn't broke. I was thinking of pearl inside but my mind struggled because it doesn't look like a pearl. I took it home and showed to my wife already seen the news about giant pearl from Palawan she said it looks like a pearl. At first I'm not convinced if it is a true pearl because ever since I've never seen a pearl before, all I know pearl in clam is spherical just like I've seen on television and computer game "feeding frenzy". We do some researched from internet, and send email to pearl expert kari-pearl, and finally i am convinced that it is a Natural Pearl from true giant clam tridacna gigas. I am planning to sell it but its very hard to. Can anybody help us about the price of these pearl.

i am convinced that it is a Natural Pearl from true giant clam tridacna gigas. I am planning to sell it but its very hard to. Can anybody help us about the price of these pearl.

What are your scientific qualifications? You've presented no images or lab reports.

Are you aware that trading in Tridacna gigas parts is illegal in North America and Europe without adequate certification?

I've seen countless fake pearls carved out of giant clam shells from the Philippines accompanied by ridiculous or unsubstantiated provenance.

Not a single authentic pearl in the entire lot.

I'm still new here, so probably haven't seen enough to make such a statement, but it seems like there are so many threads/questions about these giant clam pearls here. Did this all start after there was something in the news in August 2016?

Some of these posts come off as thinly veiled "for sale" posts...

As of now I don't have any reports or certification yet I'm still looking a trusted person and agencies who can help me to get the necessary documents, lab reports, and certifications.

Also, I am aware of trading Tridacna Gigas is illegal in America.

I have pictures before when it was not cleaned and after I have been removed the shell in my album.

I looked at your album. It looks much like other photos we have seen of these clam artifacts (pearls or shell). I personally find these items very unattractive and am not surprised that there isn't a market for them, as far as I know. Personally I think it is a waste of time to seek certification for it.

As of now I don't have any reports or certification yet I'm still looking a trusted person and agencies who can help me to get the necessary documents, lab reports, and certifications.

Also, I am aware of trading Tridacna Gigas is illegal in America.

I have pictures before when it was not cleaned and after I have been removed the shell in my album.

If the piece appears authentic, undamaged or not altered, we'll help you.

All photographs are important. It helps to support your claims by providing evidence of species, origin and condition.

When you say "removed from the shell" does that mean you've cut the piece? If so, please be advised the piece is considered damaged.

The pictures in the album are, I believe, the pictures of the shell of tridacna clam in all different stages of polishing. It is not pearl.
It's very clear in this picture that it is a SHELL.
IMG-20160823-06686.jpg

The pictures in the album are, I believe, the pictures of the shell of tridacna clam in all different stages of polishing. It is not pearl. It's very clear in this picture that it is a SHELL.

Agreed. The piece has no value, scientific or gemological.

Back