Mikimoto pearls white gold clasp??

CK2019

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and have been enjoying reading some of the posts already. I love, love, love, pearls!!! This is my first post.

I am hoping someone can help me - has anyone seen this 18ct white gold clasp on a strand of Mikimoto cultured pearls??

There are some pearls I was interested in described as "strand of cultured pearls by Mikimoto to an 18ct white gold clasp".

I haven't seen this clasp before myself, so thought I would ask the knowledgable forum members. MN.jpg

The pearls do look nice, but I have not personally ever seen this clasp from Mikimoto. I'm far from a Mikimoto expert, however. They do indeed make their clasps in 18kt gold though

You could probably call Mikimoto and ask them, too.

It does not look like a Mikimoto clasp to me. Their clasps usually have a pearl or a diamond on them and are a particular shape. The shape has changed over the years, but it is still a recognizable shape, and contains the brand logo.

It could be a Blue Lagoon or Sea Magic clasp (Miki's lower quality brands), although it does not look like one of those brands, either. Or it could be some other brand. If it is not marked BL or SM or have a logo on it, then the clasp may just be a stand alone clasp that is not branded with the pearls.

My mother restrung Mikimoto pearls with a fancier non-Miki clasp, but she still has the documentation and serial numbers of her pearl strands to prove they are Mikimoto.

Another photo showing the back of the clasp. The strand of pearls also has the M charm. The pearls do look lovely they must not have had much wear at all.

I just have never seen a clasp like this before?? That's why I am asking for your opinions.

Attachments

• p6.jpg
    p6.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 116
  • p4.jpg
    p4.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 103
No expert at all here, but I'll play ...

On the back of the clasp in the link below, it also has the "s" on it in the little box, like the one in your photo. The one in the link is listed as silver so I think that's what the "s" stands for. I saw another one that was listed as white gold and it said "WG" in the little box (shown in the second link below).

However, I see in the photo you posted that it also says "K18"- which means 18 karat, apparently. I saw that on other clasps too, with the "K" before the number (see second link below). However, "18 karat silver" doesn't make any sense.

As someone else mentioned, there is usually, but not always, a small pearl in the clasp too. I didn't see any other clasps that looked like the one in your photo, for whatever that's worth.

Also, I hear there's lots of fake Mikimoto out there. I would definitely not pay a Mikimoto price without more evidence that it's authentic. The suggestion of shooting Mikimoto an email and photo it is a good one, I think. If you do, please let us know what you find out.

We might be able to spot more clues if you post pics of the whole strand.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133139281745

http://www.antique-jewelry-investor.com/hallmarks-on-clasp-of-pearl-necklace-strand.html

Last edited:
Hi Pattye,

They are being sold as "Mikimoto" cultured pearls, and are boxed. However as I didn't recognize the clasp it made me think of how sometimes things aren't always what they appear or seem to be. I found the markings on the back of the clasp confusing also.

Thanks for your welcome. I have been reading more of past posts on the forum, and there are some very informative posts. Also, it so great to see how many people are posting and commenting, and willing to share their knowledge.

Hi All,

Just a quick update to say that I contacted Mikimoto by email, included a few photos and they responded, which I didn't think they would do.

Mikimoto said that although they hadn't seen the necklace, it seems their trademark is on the back of the clasp. I also queried the markings on the back of the clasp and they have let me know that the clasp body is silver, and that K18 white gold is used for the inner parts.

CK2019, did you end up purchasing the strand? If so, what do you think of it? What is the pearl size and strand length? The lustre looks lovely in the photos.

Wow, that is very interesting about the mixed metals in the clasp.

Unfortunately I didn't get to purchase the strand, as they sold them to someone else. Damn it!

I'm just now seeing this post and think the comments made by Mikimoto are interesting. Why would anyone want to cover up real gold with silver? Usually, it is the other way around. The logo looks right, but I have mostly seen Mikimotos write out 750 for 18kt. That is how it is on my mother's clasp. So, this could be a clasp sold in another country where people prefer silver (?) which could explain why you don't see many of them. The close up of the pearls show some surface level bumpiness. I don't recall Mikis having these types of markings. I believe those types of blemishes are not really considered a flaw, but I don't believe they are consistent with Mikimoto quality that I'm used to seeing. That said, this could be a real Mikimoto strand- the pearls look to be very nice, but I would not purchase for the M name, but rather for the pearls.

Wow that's interesting. I thought that was a Miki M logo but the S was confusing as most would say 925 . It's a confusing combination for the clasp. So I did find this info..

"All Mikimoto jewellery is marked either with Mikimoto or the trade mark M in an Akoya oyster shell and either a silver or gold mark. The silver marks vary from S, SIL, Sterling, Silver, 950. If it is not marked with a Mikimoto mark it cannot be said to be genuine."

K18 white gold is used for the inner parts.
What I've seen in particular is the "fish hook" piece or tongue of the box clasp made of white gold. The alloys make white gold somewhat stronger than yellow gold, and the resilience allows the clasp to retain its spring much longer than if it were made of silver.

Silver is a precious metal; historically sometimes valued more than gold. What has gold been worth since 1833? Check it out here:
Yesterday gold was #1905.15. Sorry for going off on a tangent!

Last edited:
Pattye, to go off on a further tangent, silverware was made of silver because, as a precious metal, it was thought to protect you from poison. Probably gold would work as well, but when was silver more valued than gold?

I'm just now seeing this post and think the comments made by Mikimoto are interesting. Why would anyone want to cover up real gold with silver? Usually, it is the other way around. The logo looks right, but I have mostly seen Mikimotos write out 750 for 18kt. That is how it is on my mother's clasp. So, this could be a clasp sold in another country where people prefer silver (?) which could explain why you don't see many of them. The close up of the pearls show some surface level bumpiness. I don't recall Mikis having these types of markings. I believe those types of blemishes are not really considered a flaw, but I don't believe they are consistent with Mikimoto quality that I'm used to seeing. That said, this could be a real Mikimoto strand- the pearls look to be very nice, but I would not purchase for the M name, but rather for the pearls.

Back in Victorian times, silver was the only way to get a white metal look on high quality jewelry. This is before they were plating white gold (which is actually pale yellow) with rhodium, or using platinum. They would often put silver over gold to get the white metal look, and then it of course tarnished. Which is why antique jewelry often has that "antiqued" effect. I think the silver over gold thing was still used much later in some places after rhodium and platinum were well in place as the white metal of choice.

Tangents - You guys make this the thrilling site it is because of tangents! Stimulating!

Back