Seeking some details about this Mikimoto Strand

There is quite a bit of variation in their hallmark over the years. Older clasps usually show a larger, less defined shell mark, like this one.

A quick Google search does show another bow style in sterling -

It would be really strange for a counterfeiter to create a replica in sterling when the value is in the name not so much the metal type - especially if sterling was never an option.
Definitely a thought I had as well. Why not use gold? Silver is cheaper, and easier for mass production. People make counterfeit shoes… for a $30-$200 profit, but the key factor is velocity.
If they’re making a lot it adds up quick. Idk like in China or something.

The one you found also appears to be fake. Look at how large the M is

Last edited:
Older clasps often show a larger, less defined shell mark. You can see it in a lot of vintage strands. The variation doesn't mean they are counterfeit.

But it does indicate that they could be a replica.

One way to find out… take it to a mikimoto store or contact them online about getting it authenticated, as they do authenticate their own items.

I would not consider it a replica but a counterfeit, if the Mikimoto shell mark were imitated. There can be no good reason to "replicate" a trademark.

In the case of this necklace, it seems to me Nancy could just list the necklace "as is" with lots of photos. Given that the clasp has the Mikimoto mark, I don't think it would be out of line to use the word "Mikimoto" in the title of the listing. And maybe a line in the description that it appears to be Mikimoto based on the clasp.

I would not consider it a replica but a counterfeit, if the Mikimoto shell mark were imitated. There can be no good reason to "replicate" a trademark.

In the case of this necklace, it seems to me Nancy could just list the necklace "as is" with lots of photos. Given that the clasp has the Mikimoto mark, I don't think it would be out of line to use the word "Mikimoto" in the title of the listing. And maybe a line in the description that it appears to be Mikimoto based on the clasp.
Replica and counterfeit literally mean the same thing.

They are not the same thing. A replica can be legitimate; a counterfeit is not.
Ohhh I stand corrected. :)

However,
If Mikimoto has not given the permission to duplicate the replica becomes a counterfeit or fraudulent…. Not authentic… imitation of a well known brand to gain profit from buyer….
It’s all in the details.

A replica is never legitimate, it is a representation of the original piece meaning it is not original.

Last edited:
Ohhh I stand corrected. :)

However,
If Mikimoto has not given the permission to duplicate the replica becomes a counterfeit or fraudulent…. Not authentic… imitation of a well known brand to gain profit from buyer….
It’s all in the details.

A replica is never legitimate, it is a representation of the original piece meaning it is not original.

There are legitimate replicas. Wikipedia has a page on the topic if you would like to explore the idea further. At this point I think we are off-topic so I will bow out.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replica

Confusion over trademarks does highlight the value of a proper system of hallmarking, where goods are assayed by an unimpeachable authority and then clearly marked, backed up by legal sanctions for fraud.
Our hallmarking system dates back to goldsmiths assaying precious metals an
hallmark.jpg
d coins since 1300 and carried on since by the Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths. This is my mark. No-one else can ever have or have had the same initials in that cartouche shape. Can you work out what the metal is and when and where this was assayed?

There's websites with info going back to 1300! It's the actual letter, plus the shape it is in, plus the typeface.

With only 26 letters to use a website is needed to keep track of the variations!

Confusion over trademarks does highlight the value of a proper system of hallmarking, where goods are assayed by an unimpeachable authority and then clearly marked, backed up by legal sanctions for fraud.
Our hallmarking system dates back to goldsmiths assaying precious metals anView attachment 466757d coins since 1300 and carried on since by the Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths. This is my mark. No-one else can ever have or have had the same initials in that cartouche shape. Can you work out what the metal is and when and where this was assayed?

When we lived in England in the 1960s, my mother had a booklet listing all the hallmarks, but I can't find it. I remember we had a burglary in England, and they took everything but the American sterling, because it was marked sterling, but had no hallmarks.

Back