Would like to know more about my pearl ear drops with screw backs

johnnagresham

Hello,

I have been trying to find out more about a pair of earrings my Great Aunt Carolyn gave me many years ago, if she were alive she would be 105 years old!
When she gave me the earrings she told me they had belonged to her mother's sister, and showed me a note written by "Aunt Gen, Mother's Sister."
The note reads:
"These ear drops belonged to mother's sister, Aunt Christina, who would be over a hundred years old." The pearls are approx 7.5 mm.

There is nothing on the c clasp to indicate the type of metal. I have had several people tell me they are white gold. The only print on the c clasp, or screwback,is on the outside of the screw which is a "C". To be more than 100 years of age these earrings are in mint condition. They have not been worn since given to me, I have kept them in a box in my jewelry box. I may wear them if they were pierced.

I tried to get a good photo of the C, it can barely be made out.

Thank you,

Johnna Gresham
johnnac3@cox.net Pearl Ear Drops With Screw Clasp.jpgP1010088.jpgPearl Ear Drops With Screw Clasp.jpgP1010088.jpg

Attachments

• P1010086.jpg
    P1010086.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 33
  • there is a C on outside of screwback.jpg
    there is a C on outside of screwback.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
From the pictures and the limited information available, I'd agree with pattye. They are probably Akoya pearls if they are real pearls. Do they pass the tooth test? You might want to soak them in some Pearl Doctor before doing a tooth test.

I just added a new photo of the C that is printed on the outside of the screwback.

Thanks

Johnna Gresham

The approx mm is 7.5, and although it is not printed on the c clasp, it is believed to be white gold. I have not taken it to a jeweler to verify that. I did post a new picture (not a real good one, tho) of the print on the outside of the screwback that appears to be a "C".

Thanks,

Johnna Gresham

Back