47.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 20150212_114425.jpg
    20150212_114425.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 20150212_172247.jpg
    20150212_172247.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Yes, apparently these are all regular-looking pearls, but there's a catch to this. Before revealing further, I encourage you to have a look at this and blast away with whatever thoughts you have in mind.

There have already been pearls that can be authenticated, so they would not be the first. :)

Hmmm... you are right, because there are already various methods that can authenticate pearls. Nevertheless, would you be able to tell where do these pearls come from?

Does the bead have some sort of location- or farm-identifier that can be seen on xray?

Still need to use technology, but don't need to use X-ray. Farm identifier, yes, but you can do more than just identifying the farm.

Nope. A chip is there, but I am not sure what you exactly meant by "attach". How exactly would you be attaching it? The actual method makes a lot of difference (e.g. labour effort and production cost). Although I didn't show you a 360-degree, you can believe my words that there are some really beautiful and round pearls.

Is the bead is not the usual shell bead-- it's some other material containing a chip?

Nope. A chip is there, but I am not sure what you exactly meant by "attach". How exactly would you be attaching it? The actual method makes a lot of difference (e.g. labour effort and production cost). Although I didn't show you a 360-degree, you can believe my words that there are some really beautiful and round pearls.

I'll take that as a hint and suggest a patch or sticker affixed to the nucleus made from a material with a known resonance or signature. I'll also take as a hint, the patch is visible below the surface for at least the juvenile growth term.

I like Pattye... Hello Kitty, but well, Japanese technology, nope. Jeremy is correct - embedded RFID tag. Freshly harvested on February 12, 2015. I suspect that with this information, Jeremy already knows where this might be cultivated.

Would this move to tagging pearls make them a lot more expensive?
Is the RFID sandwiched in the bead before it get to be shaped into a round bead (nucleus)?
I imagine that it might be a bit tricky to implant it along with the bead,...and if the RFID tag is stuck on the nucleus bead it might cause a bit of a ripple in the coating of the nacre, thus not making it a perfect round....

Wasn't there an article about the RFID pearls a year ago? Just how important is it to the consumer to know where their pearls came from? The key to making it pay is to find the right audience. :)

Back