Where to buy long lengths of silk thread?

Shan Merritt

Years ago I was able to purchase silk thread by the reel, or metre, but nowadays it seems possible only to buy it in little packets containing no more than 2 metres - not enough for many necklaces (I always use it doubled, so 2m is only enough for a choker).

Can anyone tell me where to purchase silk thread for pearl stringing in longer lengths, preferably in the UK, but over the net would be OK.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Shan

Gudebrod is an American company that makes spools of silk beading thread in many sizes and colors.

I found a few places in the UK where they sell it online, so I suggest you search for it over there by brand name.

I have bought it by the spool from Bella Findings House in LA, local bead stores, at the big Gem shows, Fire mountain beads, and more places.

Good luck

Hi Shan,

Cailtn mantioned Fire mountain gems, Abeada out of Detroit has some but they are wholesale only. other places are Jewelry Supply.com, Uticathread.com and many more I typed in Silk spools and ther was a ton listed.. takes time to weed out the embroidery stuff from the beading stuff.. Hope this helps!

Cheers
Ash

Back