Best Pearl Reamer

What a great topic!! Occasionally I use an electric reamer similar to this one (prefer over the battery one I had). This one goes to 18,000 rpm, mine is old and only goes to 12,000rpm.

Will definitely be getting the Irwin clamps, they look awesome. own an older dremel; badly need classes in how to use properly.

Thank you, all!

Thanks, Pattye, this looks really handy. I don't drill enough to justify the cost of a pearl drill. Definately going to pick up some clamps. Do you ever use your dremel to file gemstones? ..that's my next project

Oearl reaming. by Lloyd

Oearl reaming. by Lloyd

Thanks, Pattye, this looks really handy. I don't drill enough to justify the cost of a pearl drill. Definately going to pick up some clamps. Do you ever use your dremel to file gemstones? ..that's my next project

If Two or more beaders would like me to make a video. Let me know & I will do so. Say so & I Will.

Llloyd

Sunseeker, no, I haven't yet used the dremel on gemstones. It is corded and seems heavy and powerful. But I have used the dremel attachments in my reamer with success to file and smooth. I need to experiment more.

LLoyd, your videos are always educational and welcome, thank you for the offer.

Hi Sunseeker. My experience with smoothing edges and enlarging the nasty little holes on gemstone beads has been to get the finest possible diamond coated reamer and slowly, gently work it from both sides. Too much pressure often just causes the gemstone to shatter :( Seems like a dremel even on slow speed would be overkill…

Right, Wendy! I was only talking about enlarging the miserably tiny holes in some of the gemstone beads :)

I've never been game to try to drill/redrill the little gems - only pearls. My Dremel has a cord and is not the rechargeable one. It's got more power . I have, in the past, used the higher speed but for redrilling but now for Freshwaters I often use more of a mid speed..I feel like I have a bit more control but it's probably an illusion. lol I find those little gems shatter at the drop of a hat...you try to pull a wire through and 'pop' there it goes. You can't stress the drill hole at all in my experience.

Sunseeker, no, I haven't yet used the dremel on gemstones. It is corded and seems heavy and powerful. But I have used the dremel attachments in my reamer with success to file and smooth. I need to experiment more.

LLoyd, your videos are always educational and welcome, thank you for the offer.
You can get a flex shaft for the Dremel, fyi.

I've never been game to try to drill/redrill the little gems - only pearls. My Dremel has a cord and is not the rechargeable one. It's got more power . I have, in the past, used the higher speed but for redrilling but now for Freshwaters I often use more of a mid speed..I feel like I have a bit more control but it's probably an illusion. lol I find those little gems shatter at the drop of a hat...you try to pull a wire through and 'pop' there it goes. You can't stress the drill hole at all in my experience.
I've had success using very fine bead wire with teenie tiny gemstones. Rio has some small 14k twisted crimps that are great with that wire.

I've had the same experience with reaming small gemstone beads...by hand and very carefully, and even then it's iffy. I prefer to just use the finest beading wire and avoid the risk.

Pattye, Marianne, Katbran, JP, thanks for the comments - I'm ok with wiring gems, but I fear some of my gems may cut through Beader's Secret or PowerPro, hence the question about filing. Maybe that is a task better left to do by hand to avoid breakage :(

Hereis a video of my pearl reaming technique. Thanks to Pearl-White for suggesting Irwin gripper. I now will use nothing else. Dremel method and tips are in this video
For pearl (WEN) drills use this link:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/231888...search_query=pearl drill bit&ref=sr_gallery_2

for diamond tappered bit use this link:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/105927...eb044ad9b6c6a42e6cbcdbb021bdd5bb6ea:105927003

Note: Edit: When you use the tappered bit just drill outside hole to diameter you want, likely about 1mm then switch to pearl drill. A standard twist (HSS) drill bit will work if you don't have a pearl bit!! Happy drilling. -- Lloyd

Last edited:
Home page of the website, top right, videos

Stupid Question time: I can't seem to find the link to videos on the home page? I'd love to see them!
pearl-guide screen shot.jpg

The top of my page says, "Welcome Notifications My Profile Settings New Posts Logout"

Back