What is this pearl?

Bodecia

Pearl Designer & Collector
Hi all,

Saw this ring and wondered what it was. It is 8 mm app. although not round. Bit squashed on the bottom. Called a grey SS pearl which it does look like to me but it is about 70 to 80 years old or so they say. Design looks it. Set in 18 k with diamond chips. No big deal with the diamond chips :) Any idea of what something like this is worth?

Thanks all in anticipation. And I do hope I have posted correctly this time. I will learn how to do it all properly before long.

Bodecia

Attachments

• Greypearlin 18k diamond chips.jpg
    Greypearlin 18k diamond chips.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 38
Hi again,

Actually that was not the best photo to post so I have attached a couple more. Opinions greatfully accepted. It looks like a Tahitian to me but 70 or 80 years ago is this likely. Also one of the photos shows that is does not look like it is the orginal pearl in the ring. Opinions?

Still would like to know what it is worth app.

Thanks, Bodecia

Attachments

• good view.jpg
    good view.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Grey pearl side view.jpg
    Grey pearl side view.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 47
It could definitely be a natural marine pearl. It looks like natural oyster pearl to me. I am not sure on the valuation, a lot of that would be determined by the quality and the carat weight.

Hi Bodecia,

It looks like a really pretty pearl for it's age, and from the photos, not scratched up. Is there much wear on the mounting? Have you been able to examine the pearl in person? It's always so helpful when one knows the provenance, but many times that is not possible.
If it's already yours, congratulations!

Pattye

Hi Jeremy, Pattye and all,

Thanks Jeremy for your input on the pearl. The gold is actually 14 k which is a pity because I am allergic to lower gold Ks so will have to see when it arrives. I did buy it today. I was hoping for a price range from and to depending as I know it is almost impossible to give an accurate estimate from a photo. Still have done it now. I have many photos of it and there does not seem to be any damage to the pearl, no wear and tear.

Pattye, yes it is mine and thanks. I just could not resist the pearl with a good chance that it is natural as Jeremy said. It was made in Vienna during the 1920s. Called Art Deco but has the sweeping lines of Art Nouveau to my way of thinking, so maybe a little earlier. There is some wear inside the ring but at 80 plus years that is to be expected although pearl rings are not worn constantly like wedding & diamond engagement rings.

I do hope the Pearl is original to the ring and is a natural. How can I tell how many carats it is??? I know that blue/greys are not the most popular Tahitian pearls but I like the blue tones more than the green ones in pearls. Strange being that my favourite colour is green :(

Thanks and any other feedback would be still welcome.

Bodecia

Bodecia said:
It was made in Vienna during the 1920s. Called Art Deco but has the sweeping lines of Art Nouveau to my way of thinking, so maybe a little earlier.

I feel there might be a decade or so of delay between jewelry trends of the two ends of Europe until WWII... which would explain the style and timing this once too. Just my hunch based on walking and browsing antique shops allot all over the place; there is arguably more Austro-Hungarian jewelry around here and popular knowledge about it, hence the mention.

It could have been meant as a stack-able ring to be fitted next to a diamond one while two-stone rings with a diamond and a pearl would have been popular. 'Guess you could try it out that way too for historic reasons :) Plating with high carat gold might take care at least temporarily of the allergy part (same story here, at least for earrings), if you choose to keep the setting...

A vintage black pearl is such a lovely find! :cool:

Back