What is Most Versatile Graduated SSP Necklace Size?

cvanavi

Hi,

If budget is of no concern, what is the most versatile pearl mm size for a graduated SSP necklace? I would like to wear them with business attire from time to time as well as to semi/formal events.

(On a side note, considering the size of my face, my pearl jeweler has suggested I stick to pearl studs around the 10mm range).

Thanks,
Christie

I don't think there are any rules for sizes of pearls for either necklaces or earrings - pick the sizes which you like and which make you feel good rather than what some arbitrary self appointed person tells you. If someone who is under 5ft wants to wear 20mm studs, who is to say they can't. I certainly would not presume.

While I agree that there aren't and hard and fast rules for what one should wear, if you are going to be wearing something as a day-to-day piece in the office that would also be suitable for a semi-formal event, most would stick with a more conservative size like 9-11 mm.

While I agree that there aren't and hard and fast rules for what one should wear, if you are going to be wearing something as a day-to-day piece in the office that would also be suitable for a semi-formal event, most would stick with a more conservative size like 9-11 mm.

I second that!

Although depending on the body frame size, one could also look great AND suitably professional/semi-formal with 9-12 mm or even 10-13 mm.. :)

Just for fun, here is a little strand that PP put together for me to present to my wife on our 40th wedding anniversary. 9-11.3MM, app 20", 45 pearls, all AAA's or gem. The strand and earrings graded by the appraiser as AAA, but, personally, I think the pieces are GEM grade!

001-4.jpg

And with the 11.5mm studs
007-5.jpg

I kinda like the set and hope she will! What do you guys think??

Last edited:
Blustilang - Dreamy!

Cvanavi, welcome, and what did the jeweler mean by the size of your face? Is it tiny or broad or long?

Do you have a friend you trust to tell you when something looks great, so-so, or bad, who can go with you?

Last edited:
They do look like very high quality pearls with great luster! I hope you both love them!

Last edited:
Thank you , everyone for all your replies.

Lisa, I think the jeweler was considering the size and shape of my face (oval) when he suggested I stay under 10mm for pearl studs. My height and body frame as well as what he thought was my age could have had something to do with it. He originally thought I was in my late 20s. I'm actually in my late 30s.

Jeremy, thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I was looking for a size which would work for day and evening wear. I will use your recommendation as a guide.

Bustilang, those are gorgeous pearls! Congrats to you both on your 40th.

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions and comments!

Gorgeous pearls - they certainly look flawless in your close-up!

As for necklaces, if you have a slender neck, a smaller necklace that sits at the base of your neck would work with almost any kind of clothing. As you add length, some necklines interfere with the necklace. It almost needs extra (17" to 18") to drop below the neckline of your top, or go all the way with a long strand.

Back