What I learned in Tucson

Josh

Hi everyone,
I'm taking a minute after a great day in the Sea of Cortez to reflect on what I learned from the Gem Show in Tucson.
Lot's of things of course but one thing that really stood out was the natural pearl market. The hottest being the Conch (pronounced "Conk" I learned - thanks Sarah) pearls. Someone needs to write a screen play, Indiana Jones style about the people who risk their life and limb, traveling to far out places to hunt these rare gems.
I have been long entrenched in the idea that a pearl has to be pearly but I know now that it doesn't.

Josh, go to Amazon.com ASAP and get Hubert Bari's 'The Pink Pearl' where you will see some of the most amazing jewelery ever produced. And the full-page closeups of the flame structure in finest conchs are unbelievable. But as Hudson Valley matrons long ago discovered conchs on their vacations down to Nassau the settings?not to mention the pearls themselves?lend themselves to ostentation and not serious amateurism.

Here are two pieces that I passed on while on business in the Bahamas last year. The diamond enhancer was $18K, and the 12-carat loose 'pearl' was $15K?the pearl sold overnight to a vacationing couple on Abacos while I was 'considering.'

(I've got a good friend, owner of Nassau Yacht Harbor's busiest Bahamian restaurant, now peeking in every shell that comes in his door! Due to lack of awareness, he may have missed a few over the years?)

Steve

Attachments

• Conchs.jpg
    Conchs.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 40
The one on the right is the best illustration of the flame pattern I have seen yet. That is an "important" pearl.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caitlin said:
The one on the right is the best illustration of the flame pattern I have seen yet. That is an "important" pearl.
Caitlin, I actually passed on it thinking I would be overpaying for the diamonds (it's been a steep learning curve around here!). But the way the diamonds 'excite' the flame gives them a real purpose.

I have a life philosophy. We all can't be the star of the show. Someone must sit in the audience to appreciate and applaud. I love conchs. Gorgeous, rare and beautiful. Would I own one if I won the lottery? Probably not. If I have to worry about a pearl losing its beauty to sunlight and must hide it away, I think I'd rather sit in the audience and applaud.

I have a life philosophy. We all can't be the star of the show. Someone must sit in the audience to appreciate and applaud. I love conchs. Gorgeous, rare and beautiful. Would I own one if I won the lottery? Probably not. If I have to worry about a pearl losing its beauty to sunlight and must hide it away, I think I'd rather sit in the audience and applaud.

Hi Knotty,
exactly my thoughts even though the right one abaove is really a beautiful example to look at. I wonder how long it will take to getting it "bleached".:(

Last edited by a moderator:
Fortunatly or unfortunatly, it is not very sunny where I live in Paris....
So I like "winter" pearls ;)

Attachments

• conch.jpg
    conch.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 40
I think I'd rather sit in the audience and applaud.
My position as well?in fact, a puristic restriction to nacre (vs calcareous?yes, I am a NCN too?) has subsequently aided focus. As stated, conchs were discovered by old money long ago. My considerations on the two pieces shown were just serious enough to procure the offers. Can't say that I wasn't at least a little bit tempted?but let's just chalk it up to the satisfaction of overwhelming curiosity. At least half the fun is the discovery process.

Thanks Smetzler for those pictures and information. When I was in Tucson, Sarah of Kojimapearl introduced me to some friends of hers named Fred and Charlotte Ward. They co-authored a book called "Phenomenal Gems" that I imagine can be found on Amazon. Charlotte wrote the text and Fred took the photos, both of which are amazing. The incredibly round Melo pearls were a real eye opener for me as was the "flame" phenomenon you talked about. They were both delightful people and Charlotte gave a signed copy of their book which now sits proudly on my bookshelf.

Oooh Josh! I have Fred Ward's books. How neat to meet Fred and Charlotte and be given a book. Sarah really took great care of you and went out of her way to show you the ropes at Tucson. Many people take years to make the kind of contacts you made in a few days.

And you are blessed by having so many friends who want you to succeed. ;)

Hi Blaire!
I am totally, completely aware of how lucky I was/am and how wildly generous the people have been that I have met. Thank you, thank you, thank you...

Sorry for disturbing the thread but I would like to say something to Josh
I am jewrly desighner on a custom order basis. I decided to start out on my own.Going to china on the 17th to explore the pearl market. However in case I wanted to import from your farm what would be the proccedure?I have designed some beauteful pieces for tahitian pearls. By the way I live and work in Athens Greece
Thanks a lot

Hi Akoya,
It's against the rules of this board to do business on it. It's for the sharing of information and the linking together of a community of pearl enthused people. I wasn't clear on that either when I was first on so don't feel bad. I think the protocol is for you to PM me with your question.

Hi Akoya,
It's against the rules of this board to do business on it. It's for the sharing of information and the linking together of a community of pearl enthused people. I wasn't clear on that either when I was first on so don't feel bad. I think the protocol is for you to PM me with your question.

thanks Josh!!! I do appreciate your kind support.

Back