What does she have?

boomgardens

My wife has a strand a pearls that's been handed down to her and she's not sure what she has. Hopingpopping on here will help us find something out. We took them to a local jeweler but he said he didn't know much on pearls. He was able to tell us that it is a 16 inch strand with 6mm pearls on it. But that he didn't know what kind they were.

Hi and welcome,

The first thing you need to do is to gently rub two of the pearls together to determine if they are real pearls or imitation. If they feel gritty, they are real cultured pearls. If they feel smooth, they are faux/imitation. Let us know what you find :)

- Karin

I visited this site prior to posting and did a couple things that was said on here. They do feel gritty and the string is knotted between each pearl. I meant to mention that in the original post. LOL

We took them to a jeweler and they wanted 100 just to look at them. I figured we'd post on here first and get your opinions. No point in paying 100 to find out that it's worth 50.

A few more shots that we've seen requested in other threads. I think we did them right. LOL

Attachments

• 56.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 50 KB · Views: 42
  • 78.5 KB · Views: 42
Hi and welcome,

Is the clasp 14k or 18k? Looks like the clasp might be marked, the print might be very small and even on the piece that is inserted. They look like good quality round Akoya pearls to me. Very slight difference in the color and sharpness of the reflection from pearl to pearl. I'm not sure what the value would be, but over $100, others know more about vintage pearl pricing.

Thanks for posting pictures; Nice job!! Is this your first time photographing pearls, have you done it before? Is the white surface plastic?

Back