What color do you gravitate to that keeps your T's from getting "lost" in your hair?

FuzzySocks

What color do you gravitate to that keeps your T's from getting "lost" in your hair?

I have dark brown/black hair and am about to embark on my first pearl purchase ever in the form of Tahitian studs. For you lucky ladies with lighter hair, the Tahitian pearl color world is your oyster, and it seems like just about any color looks great next to blonde/red/brown hair! Does anyone with dark hair have experience with different Tahitian colors? Which colors tend to flatter you more? Medium tones? Dark? Warm/cool? Trying them on me would definitely be the best way to vet each color, but I'd like to hear from all of your experiences so I can narrow down my search better.

I wear my Tahitians as studs. For drops, I tend to wear my white South Seas, for the reasons you describe. Darker Tahitians get lost in dark hair, but studs will be visible against your ear lobes.

As for colors, I love the greens, the blues, the peacocks, my fancy natural chocolate browns, and especially my cherries. You can't have just one pair of Tahitian studs when you love Tahitians and stud earrings. I do have a dark blue green Kamoka pair that I probably reach for most often.

Edited to Add: Kamoka currently has a pair the color of my favorites, Dark Blue Green - They seem to go with everything I wear.

https://kamokapearls.com/products/dark-blue-green-tahitian-pearl-stud-earrings

Last edited:
Do you notice a difference in quality between Tahitians from Pearl Paradise and Tahitians from Kamoka? It seems like I can get a pair from PP almost $200 cheaper than Kamoka (if both had solid gold settings, whereas Kamoka offers pearls still slightly more expensive earrings than PP in a gold filled setting).

My opinion: Go with PP-- they have gorgeous Tahitian pearls! I have a Tahitian drop pendant from Kamoka and a Tahitian strand originally from PP (which I bought from the person who bought it originally) and IMO they are both gorgeous. Save money where you can.

You can ask PP to send you a few comparative photos of the color/overtone of pearls you want, and choose the ones you like best.

I feel it is a bit like comparing apples and bananas. With Kamoka you get the story. You buy from the people who have harvested the pearls. That kind of family operation will cost you more in terms of money but also give you a different experience.

- Karin

Good point, KarinK. It's the romance factor.

PP is able to offer Tahitans at lower prices because they buy in large quantities from multiple sources, while Kamoka is just one farm.
I don't think you will get in-any-way inferior pearls from PP, at all. But a different experience? Sure.

I do think if you see something you fall in love with, wherever you find it, get it. Because you may not find the same exact thing again.

Good point, KarinK. It's the romance factor.

PP is able to offer Tahitans at lower prices because they buy in large quantities from multiple sources, while Kamoka is just one farm.
I don't think you will get in-any-way inferior pearls from PP, at all. But a different experience? Sure.

I do think if you see something you fall in love with, wherever you find it, get it. Because you may not find the same exact thing again.

Good point. For me, something like Tahitian pearls have to be more unique in all its imperfections and colors. That's where Kamoka tends to appeal to me more, they don't stock their site with "choose an overtone: x, y, or z." They stock it with a myriad of pearls they harvest, each with their own character. PP will definitely be great for choosing a strand of freshwaters, since I value uniformity in more classic pieces of jewelry.

I'll update with pictures as soon as they come in to get some feedback on what I've ordered!

Hi Fuzzy, I am a pale skin/ruddy overtone cool colored person. I do great with the grey tahitians. The new black and white earrings I love, but with longer hair, the dark (almost black) tahitian would be lost. I think the lightest grey stands out the most. Your milage may vary.
earrings.jpg

bright green, blue green, peacock and silver! And definitely studs, not dangles unless my hair is up.

Honestly my Tahitians from PP are nice, but my Kamokas are spectacular. There is a huge difference in saturation and depth of colour. ETA: but then I do specifically pick out the Kamokas with intense, flashy colours!

Both vendors are wonderful. Kamoka operates their own farm and sells their own product exclusively; Pearl Paradise sources their pearls from others (maybe directly from a farm, or indirectly by way of a wholesale/broker), selling pearls from a variety of sources. Just to be abundantly clear, both have lovely pearls, and I would recommend either as a good place to look for quality pearls.

Are you fair or darker skinned? I think color depends more on skin tone than hair color. I'm very fair with near black hair. I do best in cool tones (blue green/peacock and very light silver). Intense green is ok too. Aubergine/cherry tends to go muddy on me. Darker studs and lighter dangles seem to show up the best unless I'm wearing my hair up, then dark is the way to go.

Are you fair or darker skinned? I think color depends more on skin tone than hair color. I'm very fair with near black hair. I do best in cool tones (blue green/peacock and very light silver). Intense green is ok too. Aubergine/cherry tends to go muddy on me. Darker studs and lighter dangles seem to show up the best unless I'm wearing my hair up, then dark is the way to go.

I've got a skin tone somewhere between Jessica Alba and Rihanna, but with a cooler understone. Sunflower yellow makes my skin pop, red makes my face look red/pink in an unflattering way, and bright cobalt/royal blue flat out looks terrible on me. Rose gold is the most flattering metal, followed by silver and then gold. So I feel like my coloring isn't cookie cutter 'warm vs cool toned'.

I've bought pearls from both PP and Kamoka, and I have to say that Kamoka's pearls are exceptional and worth the extra dollars. However, PP is excellent, too, and they can send you photos of different studs in their vault for same size and color. I've also bought beautiful Tahitians from Kojima. Kojima current has a pair of studs set it a diamond in the center that facinates me.

P.S. My solution to keep my pearls from getting lost in my hair? I cut my hair off. There's nothing like a short haircut to make sure your earring are shown to their best advantage.

I am blonde so you don't want my opinion. Kamoka is a small farm and their range of stock will be nothing like Pearl Paradise which is the largest internet pearl store. I do buy pearls at both stores and anything you do select at either place will be a great experience. If you are looking for something in particular PP will take your order and find just what you are looking for when they are on a buying trip.

I am blonde so you don't want my opinion. Kamoka is a small farm and their range of stock will be nothing like Pearl Paradise which is the largest internet pearl store. I do buy pearls at both stores and anything you do select at either place will be a great experience. If you are looking for something in particular PP will take your order and find just what you are looking for when they are on a buying trip.

I absolutely would love to hear your opinion! You might have a different perspective on what works on dark hair/medium skin since you're an impartial third party :)

I've bought pearls from both PP and Kamoka, and I have to say that Kamoka's pearls are exceptional and worth the extra dollars. However, PP is excellent, too, and they can send you photos of different studs in their vault for same size and color. I've also bought beautiful Tahitians from Kojima. Kojima current has a pair of studs set it a diamond in the center that facinates me.

P.S. My solution to keep my pearls from getting lost in my hair? I cut my hair off. There's nothing like a short haircut to make sure your earring are shown to their best advantage.

BWeaves I saw an earlier thread with your black and white Kamoka, they looked incredible! Have you gotten a lot of wear out of them?

I absolutely would love to hear your opinion! You might have a different perspective on what works on dark hair/medium skin since you're an impartial third party :)

Fuzzysocks, I didn't think a blonde could wear golden south sea pearls so I didn't buy them. I did get a strand and I thought wrong. Even though I have a green undertone to my skin, these look great in person. I wear multi color and cherry Tahitians most of the time, multi color pearls seem to go with anything.I have seen them on people of all skin colors and they never are not a winning combination. image1 (8).jpg

BWeaves I saw an earlier thread with your black and white Kamoka, they looked incredible! Have you gotten a lot of wear out of them?

YES! OMG YES! My Kamoka B/W studs go with everything. They match nothing, but go with everything. I've been wearing them a lot, especially when my ears feel too tired for drops.

They look terrific with my natural white Hanadamas, my baroque blue akoyas, and my baroque Tahitians which are completely different colors from the studs. The studs are round, but because they are different colors, they look good with baroque shapes, too. They look good with jeans or fancy dresses.

I actually have no desire to buy white Hanadama studs now, because I'm afraid they would be too boring.

My particular pair of Tahitian studs has a dark pearl with a very purple halo, and a light pearl that leans towards the color of a light blue akoya. So the pair really works with "my" colors.

For anyone else who has a B/W pair of earrings, do you find that you always wear the light color in one ear and the dark in the other? Do you feel lopsided when you put the wrong color in the wrong ear? I don't know why, but mine only feel right when the light one is in the right ear and the dark one in the left ear.

Back