vintage pearls

boo

I have a coworker who is from the Philippines. She has some jewelry that she inherited from her grandmother, and I am wondering if they might be natural pearls. She thinks (but isn't certain) that they are probably somewhere around 90 years old, and that they were collected by pearl divers, possibly in the southern part of the Philippines. Could any of our knowledgeable experts weigh in on the matter? If they are naturals, could they be valuable enough to be worth spending the money for certification? She has always thought they were not worth much (other than as family heirlooms) because they aren't snow-white spheres - yet another innocent victim brainwashed by Mikimoto :rolleyes:...

Unfortunately, the photos were taken indoors under fluorescent light (some had indirect light from a nearby window, but it was a very dreary day). She has some more pieces she will try to remember to bring in for me to see if these are indeed suspected to be natural.

One of the drops is very lustrous - the second photo shows reflections of the pearls in the adjacent ring as well as me leaning in with the camera...

Attachments

• ABall.jpg
    ABall.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 34
  • ABreflection.jpg
    ABreflection.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 30
  • ABsides.jpg
    ABsides.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 32
  • ABsingleER.jpg
    ABsingleER.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 29
more photos:

Attachments

• ABruler.jpg
    ABruler.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 43
  • ABring.jpg
    ABring.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 39
  • ABear.jpg
    ABear.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 39
Those pieces are beautiful. In my opinion, definitely get a lab certification.

Gail

These are stunning. Isn't it sad that when we start to read a post that begins like this we think - probably not? But these? Gail I am sure knows far more than me, but I would we whisking them off for certification, too!

and the goldwork? exquisite...

Last edited:
They look like they are old enough to be naturals, so it's a safe assumption. It is possible that pearls were replaced here and there -- that's pretty normal for antique pieces. I would only go to the trouble of sending them to a lab if your aim was to sell them. I like them very much. They look fabulous on the ear. ;)

Back