Using a bead reamer

Nicole

So, I'm using freshwater pearls with 22 gauge 14K wire. I used a bead reamer to make the holes a little bigger and then attached a few of the pearls. As I've worked with the pearls, the area around the hole has turned black, which alarmed me until I realized that it's from the bead reamer. A sort of black dust or something must have rubbed off and onto the inside of the pearls. As they have moved around on the wire, the black substance has been coming out. The reamer was brand new, never used, and is diamond coated. Is this normal? Should I rinse the pearls before adding them to the wire? Thanks.

Nicole

Where did you get the reamer? How much are you reaming? Are you going from a 26 or 28 ga wire hole to the 22? That's a lot. At least it would be for me. Some freshwater pearls are bead nuked. That would be my first guess, but, just a guess. I've never had a pearl react with a metal. Gemstones, yes, pearls, no.

Hi knotty,

I got the reamer at the local craft store. i don't think that I'm reaming that much. Some of the pearls fit fine on the 22 gauge wire, some needed to have slightly bigger holes, so that they would move around freely, which is what I like. Also, I just figured out that you're supposed to use the reamer with water (I don't know how I missed this!) The ones I used water with have less black stuff coming out.

I'm starting to think it's not from the reamer, too. On one of my pearls, I didn't use the reamer, but I twisted a piece of the 14K wire in it, and a dark gray dust came out. When I look at the hole to begin with, it looks white. It's really confusing. If it is bead-nuked, why would they use a dark colored bead? It looks like I'm going to have to smash a pearl. I chose freshwater pearls because, being nearly all nacre, I knew that they would last a long time. I'm not going through all this trouble to make something that's going to wear out in a few years.

Nicole

That's good, I was thinking perhaps you were trying to burrow small holes huge. I'm not a reaming expert, but I've only heard of water while reaming with gemstones to reduce friction and keep the gemstone from cracking. You shouldn't need water removing burrs from pearl drill holes. But it does sound as those your pearls are bead nuked. You're right, smash one. If it is, then decide what to do since you're dead-set against bead nuked. About the color, beats me. If there is no black dust when you don't ream, sounds like 24 ga would solve your problem all around. I know some untreated gemstones react with 14kt yellow gold and gold-filled. But I've never heard of pearls reacting. That's a new one.

Okay, I smashed two. No bead. It has to be the gold reacting with the pearls, or the pearls reacting with the gold. I have actually never even heard of gemstones reacting with gold. How strange. Why would this be the case? And which gemstones do this?

After being together for a few days, even the non-reamed pearls have darkened inside the holes. I'm going to clean off the stuff on the outside with plain water and q-tips, but that's all I can do. The pearls and the gold will just have to learn to work out their differences. Unless anyone has any other suggestions.

Nicole

Well, I'm at a total loss! Wash the reamer too. Untreated gemstones react with various metals. Turquoise reacts to 14kt, I learned that lesson well. Man! No bead. Bizaro! :confused:

Hi Nicole,
Here is my suggestion. I would use a dremel tool or a flexshaft either with a variable speed foot pedal and use regular steel twist drills. Diamond tools are not needed to drill pearls.

Dfrey

Hi D! Thanks for the info. I use my itty bitty dremel bits by hand to make holes ever so slightly larger (I've bent a landfill of reamers). I can just see me holding a pearl in one hand and the drill in the other. Welp, one finger gone!

You'd know, what other untreated gemstones react with metals?

beading reamer

beading reamer

Ni Nicole,

Part of the Problem is you are using a bead reamer not a pearl reamer, they are different interuments they do the same thing but are differnt instrumets, I too have bent a qute a few pearl reamers and broken bead reamers in the pearls, I too had the grey dust, it was from the wire, the wire is not real gold, but a gold plate,

As for bearing the pearls with wire, be careful wire will slowly cut through the pearl and weaken it causing it to fracture and break. that is what sounds like is happening to your pearls , when you do ream them be careful and gentle not rough, that to can cause fractures you can not se inside the paerl which will eventually break. Learned that lesson too...

I tend to stay away from pearls on wire unless for an occasional comission piece...

hope this helps some

Good Luck

Ash: You sure did help! I never knew there was a difference between the two. I've certainly bent my fair share of reamers, and cracked my fair share of gemstones. As far as wire wrapping pearls is concerned, I haven't seen that happen and there are so many designs out there which mix the two, but I'm going to take your word for it. My designs are so young they probably haven't had time to show the signs of wear you are describing.

Well, according to this guy,

http://www.allexperts.com/ep/689-18063/Jewelry-Gems-Minerals/Thomas.htm

the black dust is coming from minute particles of gold being worn off.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Jewelry-Gems-Minerals-689/gold-turning-clothes-skin.htm

He is talking about the fine particles of cosmetics acting like an abrasive, but it totally makes sense for pearls, which are actually grainy.

What Ash said also makes sense. I imagine that the gold wire will wear away the pearl in time, and the fact that I reamed the holes slightly because I like to turn the pearls on the wire when I hold it will make it wear out sooner. I don't always think things out. Oh well, what can you do?

Nicole

Actually, I think you've thought this out extremely well! Don't ditch your design! You want this for your wedding and you should have it! It's not going to fall apart in the next month! Make it as planned for the wedding if you get the dust situation squared away. Then, in a few years, remake it into a family heirloom to share with your family. You can make special pieces for the mothers, sisters, nieces, and of course, your blessed children.

Just read your articles -- interesting! My mother could never wear 10kt. We always thought it was a chemical reaction.

Last edited:
Hi Nicole,

I was just giving personal experiences and thougths, I am one of those girls who cleans up well and looks great in fancy Duds but I am a tomboy at heart. Never could resist wrestling with the dogs on the muddy ground... LOL

I do agree with knotty do not ditch your design either its your wedding for goodness sakes... can you get a thinner wire? will it come in time?

Good Luck Nicole! let us know how it turns out.

Hi Knotty,

there are people who are allergic to gold. It can be a chemical reaction wiht the metals and skin oils. possibly.

I can not wear anythig but 14kt and higher K gold .. and sterling silver. If I do the skin turns green, I have even tried the Clear nailpolish method that does not work with my skin either...

Cheers
All

SOOOOO----HELP--------PLEASE

getting back to the title of this thread, how the heck is one supposed to use a bead reamer? I already broke the diamond tip off inside a cute little star pearl, and can see no way of getting it out! I thought I would "practice" on a lesser pearl, before having a go on others. Don't want to start my good pearl necklaces without the ability to knot back through the last pearls. Doubt anyone would approve of my crimp method on even the better FW's!!!

Thanks very much in advance, I look forward to hearing from you proper reamers!!!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Hello Pattye,
Although just a beginner, I have already bent / broken the tips of several reamers.
The best one I have found so far is the Beadalon battery operated reamer.
This one hasn't bent or broken and I've used it and used it and used it. It's really fast, too.
I think that the tips of the previous reamers were broken and bent because I wasn't reaming straight, even when I thought I was.
Hope this all makes sense.

Attachments

• BEAD REAMER.jpg
    BEAD REAMER.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 45
Thanks Sueki,

I will order one right away!

Pattye

Instead of reaming out the bead or pearl, can you go down a needle size or a thread size? Usually if I just switch from the rigid brass needles to the flexible aluminium(?) (I don't know what they're made of) I don't need to ream. It's usually better for me if I work with what I have rather than trying to force something fit.

To be honest, I haven't started the knotting yet, because I thought the finishing and starting would be a problem. Most of my pearls that I plan to knot are pretty large, and I want to do some ropes. So I'm trying to anticipate all challenges!! Thank you all for the suggestions and sharing your experience with a beginner!!

Pattye

Bead Reamer "Bedalon"

Bead Reamer "Bedalon"

Sueki,

where can one order this reamer online? I have tried several vendors but no one had this batterydriven as far as I could see.

Back