Urgently need rough appraisal of what these pearls are worth!

emilypearls

I am going to leave in two days to try and get my pearls (set of earrings, necklace) sold in the city of Chicago. And I want to know if anyone can estimate how much they are worth based up on these pictures. I do not know if anyone knows Chicago's Jewlery Row but I will be going there and trying to get offers. I want to make sure I know what are fair and unfair offers.

Please provide any feedback on the type of pearls these are, if possible, and what they will go for.

They seem perfectly round up close, as in totally spherical and are quite shiny. After looking at websites on how to judge pearl quality I can say that they are probably A or AA quality. I can see my reflection in them, although not perfectly clearly. They do have an ivory tint when placed on white paper.

Thank you

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx213/emilyschick/1124092001.jpg

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx213/emilyschick/1124091859.jpg

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx213/emilyschick/1124091858.jpg

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx213/emilyschick/1124091843.jpg

The length of the necklace is about 14 in. The size of the pearls around is probably something like 1-1.5 cm. When I put a pearl in bewteen my fingertips it is about a 1-1.5 cm gap.

Hi emily,

As Pattye mentioned the pics are not good enough to give you any sort of info on those pearls. Also pearls are measured in mm not cm and I really do not think those pearls are 10-15mm, more likely around 7-8mm.

With the shape they look to be Akoya pearls and 10mm is right at the top of the size range for those with no such thing as a 15mm Akoya pearl.

Honestly I would not expect anybody to purchase the pearls from you, most jewelry stores are in the business of selling new pearls not purchasing old ones.

Good luck though.

I predict that you get few or no offers trying to sell these pearls to jewellery shops.

Not only is there little market for non-clearly-antique pearls but few jewellers would be confident enough of their knowledge of pearls to make an informed purchase.

You might have more success with an on-line auction such as eBay - though even for this sale route you will need clearer photos and accurate measurements in mm.

(I have never come across a 2.5cm pearl earring (apart from mabes)- 2.5cm is an inch in diameter)

emilypearls,

You do need to take really good photos for here and also if you try to sell online. Also the real and exact size in mm of them. One other thing is there anything marked on the clasp, give us exactly what is says. Also what is marked on the earring backs.

Try un-doing the clasp and winding them around in a wheel shape. Them crop you photo as close to the pearls as possible. Once you size the photo it should if clear and not blurred give a better idea of their quality.

To me they look like Akoya pearls but there are a lot of such pearls being offered on places like ebay and they do have to be special to get more than $100 and you may not get this for the set.

I sold a nice necklace of Akoya pearls a while back on eBay but they were vintage and graduated. Around 14 inches in length. I only got $125 for them. They were in excellent condition. The price of pearls varies so very much it is impossible to say what you will actually get and if you do find a shop that will buy them you will only get around a 1/3rd of what they could sell them for. That would not be a rip off either. Just business because they would lay out the money an then have to wait for the right buyer. Good luck.

Dawn dawncee333

Yeah, I tried to sell them in Chicago but was told they would go for extremely miserable prices, like $50. I don't know why but some "certified gemologist" had told me they were probably worth much more than that ($5000) and I believed them foolishly; I think they were just trying to lead me on so that I could get an official appraisal from them (for $50) and they would just get the $50 out of me and then give me a real appraisal of it which would be much less. I have given up hope on trying to sell them and will simply hold on to them until they become an antique/vintage item and the recession is over and hopefully I can get much more out of them. One thing I do know is I'm not the type of person to wear fancy jewelry so they are not for me to keep forever.

Thanks for all of your help, I really appreciate it.

Oh, and I was advised against trying to sell them online like eBay because I could encounter some sketchy scammer type people. I would be a first time seller and I don't want to be taken advantage of. Then again, if someone on here can give me some counsel as to how to sell something online smartly, I might consider trying it out.

Emilypearls:
This is not the time to sell most vintage pearls. If you can, hang onto them. You are very wise in reaching this conclusion yourself! Please come back someday and let us know!!

If you encountered the same necklace in a nice jewelry store, it probably would sell for that amount. The gemologist told you the retail value. Unfortunately, you don't have a store. The best price would come if you could sell it to someone you know, or, if you don't mind taking as long as a year, a consignment shop is the very best alternative. Good Luck! ;)

You could try your local Craigslist. There is no listing fee, and you can post pics and deal with it yourself. You need to be very clear that you will ONLY deal locally and for cash. Do the research listed above. Your clasp looks like a 14k fishhook, but verify that it is not gold filled, as well as the studs. Get an accurate measurement. 14" in length is too small for most people, more of a young girls' length, and you could certainly use that in your listing to promote it as a gift. Use the macro lens on your camera. Then be prepared to hold onto them for a while!

Emily, if you use local Craigslist and make a sale, do use caution when exchange takes place. Good luck!

"One thing I do know is I'm not the type of person to wear fancy jewelry so they are not for me to keep forever."

Dear Emily,

Before I wore my first strand of pearls, I thought the same thing, that pearls were very 'dressy'. I only want to say - the necklace doesn't seem too dressy for everyday to me. If the pearls fit around your neck, give them a chance, wear them everyday for a while... you might fall in love with the way they look against your skin.

If you aren't sure about wearing pearls, haven't done it much, you could play; why not try them out at home? It seems a shame to not wear them before getting them gone.

If you like them a lot but they're too tight, maybe you could add to the necklace; around the clasp is an easy area.

Actually, a lot of the contributors to Pearl Guide are creative -artists- and you might find their creations inspiring your own ideas. Try paging through the threads 100" Rope and Show Us Your Pearls, see what can be done.

Much respect to you, for researching on this site before you attempted to sell.

Good luck, I hope you'll try wearing them for a while and then write and tell us if you've grown attached to them,
Lisa C

Last edited:
Hello hope you are all well. I inheritance one akoya pearl necklace from my grandmother. The necklace has around 298 pearls. Is an appraisal a good investment for these? 20180812_155827.jpg 20180812_155846.jpg 20180812_155256.jpg 20180812_155539.jpg 20180812_155548.jpg

Hi iglitzi2309,

How wonderful to have inherited pearls from your grandmother! You have a nice rope of akoya cultured pearls.

Instead of an appraisal I suggest having them restrung. Silk absorbs skin oils and grime and becomes weak over time, so there is a risk of losing the necklace if the silk breaks.

Back