Unknown Project: big ole golden Southsea pearl.

asurazzy

So I still have 1 pearl leftover. It is a big golden Southsea pearl. Dunno yet what is the diameter because it was sold by weight. Probably about 19 to 20 mm in diameter.

Anyway...I would like to turn it into a massive flower ring with paved rubies ( I have 2 carat of tiny rubies about 100 rubies per carat)..or maybe a pendant or a brooch pendant. I am not sure yet...maybe I will make it into a bracelet. Can anyone give me ideas on whaf to make with this pearl? The photos of the pearls are attached. Maybe after Ill attach some drawings on ideas..I havent got any Ideas..anything will help.

Attachments

• received_1787813984618847.jpg
    received_1787813984618847.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 26
  • received_1787813457952233.jpeg
    received_1787813457952233.jpeg
    72.5 KB · Views: 29
Hi Gemgeek n Pareltje.
I think I know what to make of it. I would set it into my wedding brooch/pendant. There is this flower called Champaka, it was the fave flower of my late grandma. She died when my mum was young so I never get to see her. Everytime we visit her grave my mum always put this flower on her grave because my mum said she always put this flower on her hair.

So my golden pearl will be the central of the flower. Petals will be made out of 18 ct gold. Central part of petals will be encrusted in rubies that I already got. And there will be teardrop garnets or ametyst (1 big and 4 small) hanging from the petals. I havent got the garnets so need to source it out. Gold will be easy maybe need about 40ish gram for it. The gold will cost about 2000$, garnets or ametyst wont cost so much.

It will be months away so I can save up n but materials little by little.

I made a doodle of it so it will give rough ideas on how it suppose to look like. Also the Champaka flower that inspire me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180601-064454_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20180601-064454_Chrome.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 20180601_201025.jpg
    20180601_201025.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 26
Wow - if the pearl is around 20mm, then the whole brooch would be around 12cms. That is seriously large and heavy - stomacher territory! Make sure the goldsmith pays extra attention to the fittings, since using the correct findings to hold and distribute the weight properly. It is also going to need to be worn on heavier cloth, not a lighter silk or chiffon.

Are you going to make it convertible? It would be easy to add a hidden bail or chain attachments and it would be stunning to have a removable barrette or comb structure. That flower would be stunning as hair jewelry.

Carve it? If you can find a pearl carver of course. The bigger the pearl the better the carved pattern

Hi Gemgeek, Ladydisdain n nnguye.

Lady Disdain that is exactly what is going to be. A stomacher. Im Indonesian, we have this traditional national clothing called 'Kebaya'. Pareltje is Indonesian as well so she would know what I'm talking about. Kebaya have many styles mostly worn in formal occasions. For my wedding I will wear this particular Kebaya dress. Kebaya always have bustier inside then overlaid by a top usually beaded long sleeved and bottom of wrapped or skirt made of another traditional painted fabric called 'Batik'. Then I will have a long veil.

I attached photos of various kebaya styles that usually adorned with big stomacher, traditionally 3 drops about 15-30 cms long.

I was thinking the same about as hair accesories you know... but instead of comb I like wearing headband..I want to have a detached handband too it. So I can wear it with my less formal kebaya or any other dresses for formal occasions. I want it to become like a big choker pendant that you can wear with a ribbon but might be too big n spiky..

Uhmnnn I will not have my pearl carved, I like it this way hehe.

Ohhh the pics r tiny..but you can see the style of Kebaya n the stomacher in the middle??

Attachments

• images (56).jpeg
    images (56).jpeg
    10.4 KB · Views: 27
  • images (57).jpeg
    images (57).jpeg
    14.8 KB · Views: 26
  • images (55).jpeg
    images (55).jpeg
    28.4 KB · Views: 32
Traditional brooches

Traditional brooches

Here are few of Indonesian traditional brooches. Mainly wear as stomacher. Materials usually silver, gold, rhodium with pearls or simple crystals. You can just buy them at shops but some people like to have it custom made. My mum have one custom made and she always wears them in her nicest Kebaya outfit. She treasured them haha.
I mean I'll get marry in Australia but I still want to wear my traditional dress hehe.

Attachments

• images (62).jpeg
    images (62).jpeg
    11.9 KB · Views: 33
  • images (61).jpeg
    images (61).jpeg
    14.1 KB · Views: 31
  • images (60).jpeg
    images (60).jpeg
    6.3 KB · Views: 29
  • images (59).jpeg
    images (59).jpeg
    30.9 KB · Views: 27
  • images (58).jpeg
    images (58).jpeg
    23.6 KB · Views: 28
What remarkable wedding outfits ... fascinating and beautiful! Thanks for showing us, Assurazy :) What a unique piece you would have.

I love how you plan out your pieces so carefully. It will be amazing and you will be a beautiful bride!

Thanks everybody! Ill update about the brooch project on the same post.

Congrats on your wedding. Love your creativity. This pendant and the tourmaline and pearl earrings both will be terrific additions to your collection.

Back