Undrilled Cortez Keshi's

mausketeer

]Hi guys! Again, it's been awhile (I literally had to stop reading this forum, was spending too much on pearls!). Buuuut........ I couldn't resist when I saw some Cortez keshi's for sale, so I snapped them up! Of course, the pearling world being so small, when I Googled "Sea of Cortez keshi", one of the first hits was a post on HERE, lol. I think there are 24 in the lot? But they are undrilled. I was thinking of having them drilled, then making a tin cup out of them but, I'm wondering if it may be worth-while to just hang on to them as-is (the rarity factor?). I'm not sure if undrilled Cortez keshi's are so rare as to be valuable? Or do ya'll think I should just enjoy them and go ahead with the drilling? (odds are I will not have the money to buy a full Cortez strand in the foreseeable future, this could be my only chance to have some).

Thoughts? Advice?

Oh, also, could anyone here steer me towards where I might have them drilled? (if thats what I DO decide). I'd prefer to have one of YOU drill them for me than a random jeweler here in Vancouver. These ARE Sea of Cortez pearls after all! They deserve RESPECT! Lol

(and for whoever is keeping track, I recently broke my FOOT! Again, while on vacation...... gotta laugh.....)

Thanks so much guys! Oh, here's some photos to refresh your memory on the pearls..... (the second photo shows one extra pearl, I think that big honking one at the top! Must have been too good to let go of..... sad face :( )
Jodie

image.jpg

Superb! Definitely get them drilled. I'm sure you can find a jeweler there who can do it. Maybe we can ask Derek for advice.

Oh my god, it HAS been awhile! I forgot how to POST (accidentally posted this three times!). Forgive me all! (and GemGeek, my gosh I can't recall your real name! So sorry! I'm so embarrassed!).

Yes, they're just so TINY, it scares me to have them drilled. I DO think they would look so sweet hanging from a chain though. I think that would look better than tin-cup for these. Kind of a dangle, charm-style idea? I'm assuming silver metal rather than gold because of the colours.......

Ha! It's Blaire. I like the idea of them dangling like charms, too. Silver would be a great choice. How lucky for you to be able to get these gorgeous pearls. :)

I don't know what your cortez keishi look like exactly, but you said they were small and you wanted them set like charms with silver - so here, to help visualise, tiny pale pink fw charm pearlsbr pink keishi charm silver 3641.jpg

Ha! It's Blaire. I like the idea of them dangling like charms, too. Silver would be a great choice. How lucky for you to be able to get these gorgeous pearls. :)

Blair! Of course! Hello again, nice to talk to you! Yes, even though I said "NO MORE PEARLS!" I still let myself look for Cortez pearls after I got back from my trip to Mexico, right on the Baja - Cabo San Lucas - and I couldn't find any Cortez pearls there! Good story though, I went into a supposedly "higher-end" jewelry store and inquired about Cortez pearls (this place wasn't like Cartier or anything, but they sold gold and diamonds and expensive watches so I figured they were reputable. Not exactly a suitcase on the beach, you know?) The salesman showed me to a case that had what looked like inlaid mother of pearl pieces. I said "oh no, I'm looking for Sea of Cortez pearls, they're farmed right here in Mexico". He said these WERE made from Cortez pearls and that they actually SLICED up the pearl to make them! Lol. I just politely said "um, yeah.....okay, thanks" and left with a smile on my face.....

So after that, I HAD to come home and find some REAL ones! Lol. Plus the whole "broken foot thing" kinda ruined half my trip.....

Jodie.

Hi Wendy! Yah, that kind of thing, exactly! Although I'm thinking maybe just top-drill, and add a hanger, just in case I ever want to break it up into individual pieces (everyone says I should try to sell some things, I might try it......). I always think they look a little daintier if they only have the one hole to deal with......

I have to post a photo of Cortez keshi pearls, too. I didn't go home with them, unfortunately. They are the sweetest little pearls! :)

DSCN4268.jpg

I am working on a necklace with Kamoka keshis. Black diamonds with hanging top drilled pearls. I would do top-drilled rather than fully for a more expensive looking design and fully drilled for a fun design. I am still hunting for appropriate findings (always the biggest problem for me).

I am working on a necklace with Kamoka keshis. Black diamonds with hanging top drilled pearls. I would do top-drilled rather than fully for a more expensive looking design and fully drilled for a fun design. I am still hunting for appropriate findings (always the biggest problem for me).

I would love to see it when you're done. It sounds lovely and dramatic. :cool:

Hey Caitlin, Pattye, Ramona! Thanks for the good wishes! Yah, my bones don't like me much, they're always trying to escape! :p

Blaire, those are yummy! Too bad you didn't get them...... Black diamonds sound like a perfect pairing with Kamoka keshi's, yes, will have to see the photos....... the vendor sold these keshi's because she said she's making a ring with some other Cortez pearls..... the pearls she's using for that project look AMAZING. Love to see photos afterwards.....

I keep looking on Stuller's website for findings, but I don't know how I could buy them. They had a couple of nice "top rings" (not sure what a hanging ring is called when it doesn't have a bale attached. Or is the whole thing a bale? Hhhmmm)

If you are still stuck at the end of Aug let me know and I should be able to get something like that for you in Hong Kong

I contacted Douglas a few months ago and he didn't have any! He said they are really rare and in high demand. Hopefully he'll hve more this year!

Back