Tucson 2013

Wonderful that so many friends are coming to Tucson. I will be there Tuesday evening till Sunday and would love to join the Pearl Walk again. It's always a treat. Are you going to do it on Wednesday after Elizabeth's lecture? I will be at the lecture, anyway. The weather looks fabulous! It was 9 degrees this morning in Vermont and Tucson will be a wonderful change. Looking forward to seeing all of you.

I wish all of you a wonderful time being there, maybe a small thought to the ones that cannot go and maybe - if there is permission to - taking some pics of amazing pearls in exhibition.

I plan on taking photos with permission from the dealers, although they will just be iphone pictures. If any of them turn out I will share them.

Caitlin,
Daughter and I plan on Pearl Walk. Do we form up after Elizabeth Strack's lecture? If so, please let me know where. Really looking forward to this.
betty577

Caitlin,
Daughter and I plan on Pearl Walk. Do we form up after Elizabeth Strack's lecture? If so, please let me know where. Really looking forward to this.
betty577

I also promised my stand-in :D Simone to keep an eye out for details for her, though she did just join PG herself. She's just very busy.

- Karin

Wednesday, February 6, 9:00-10:00 a.m.

Pearl Testing: How to distinguish cultured pearls from each other MOHAVE ROOM
Elizabeth Strack, Gemmologisches Institut Hamburg
Intermediate-Advanced. It is more and more difficult to distinguish the different types of cultured pearls from each other. The naked eye is no longer enough. In this seminar you’ll learn about the main x-ray methodologies to recognize natural pearls, but the seminar concentrates on a systematic overview of the methods (x-ray identification and others) that can be applied to distinguish Akoya cultured pearls and South Sea cultured pearls from Chinese freshwater pearls. A systematic approach to pearl testing is possible because of the basic differences in growth processes of all those cultured pearls available on the market. The approach includes the distinction of Japanese from Chinese freshwater cultured pearls and cultured pearls from Mexico and other niche producers such as the Fiji Islands and the Red Sea.

For those of you who are first timer's at the Strack lecture, we generally sit near the front and talk to her afterwards, so come up to the front. :)

Just wanted to clarify - the pearl walk is now scheduled for Wednesday, not Thursday, correct? How long do they generally last? I will have to reschedule some things and would love to have a rough idea. Thanks!

!0:30 or so meeting at or after Strack in the Mojave room. The walk is Weds, but other things can happen other days, Let's talk after the lecture.

Getting ready to leave! I have 59 unread P-G posts I won't catch up with until tomorrow. I am excited. The pearl walk is one of my favorite days in the year!!!

I've been getting a running mail commentary from my stand-in :) Almost like being there...

- Karin

I just bought a pair of line-colored Tahitians from John Tu at Tuscon :D I admit now publicly that my stand-in wasn't just a stand-in. This summer at the Gem Faire in Portland I had seen lime colored Tahitians at John Tu's booth. But I needed darker ones at the time and that's what I bought. But... Lime colored? So I sent my friend Simone to do the Pearl Walk, instructions in hand for her and Caitlin who's been a peach and ready to help. I've just exchanged a number of emails with Simone while she was at Jonh's booth - real time. There's even a pricture:

attachment.php

Funny thing is Simone doesn't like pearls much - or so she claimed. She just sent me a shot of her wearing a strand of huge, baroque Tahitians, entitled "My Beauties". All my fault, I fear...

- Karin

Don't you just love John Tu's stuff? I hope I can get down to Pueblo and see him. :)

Back