Tuamotus "road" trip

Josh

Hi everyone, I recently had my dad visit me from NZ (he immigrated there in 2002) so we decided to get out to the farm to check on things and get hands dirty with the crew. The flight was full so we booked one to Rangiroa, a HUGE atoll about 80 miles south of Ahe, with the intention of hopping a supply boat that conveniently was scheduled for the next day. We arrived and booked into a small family hotel at the pass that night. This was the view from the deck.
IMG_2674-1.jpg

Last edited:
The boat showed up and we got ready to go but learned that it was all full and they couldn't take us. So instead we flew to Manihi, the atoll just E of Ahe and a place rich in Tahitian pearl history. Our plan was to find a speedboat going to Ahe from there. It just so happened there was an outrigger race the next day and there were a number of boats of our friends from Ahe there. My dad and I both have a lifetime habit of this sort of winging it so it was fun to conspire with him.
This is a "poti marara" (flying fish boat) - a Tahitian invention made for chasing down flying fish as well as Mahimahi. Just above it in the picture you can just make out a pearl farm. It's called SPM and is owned by Cyril Rosenthal who bought it from Coco Chaze, a pioneer in our industry.
IMG_2701-1.jpg

The next morning I got up early to hunt around for photos and took the following: The first is a lowlight (slow shutterspeed) one of the sunrise that I had fun with. The second is of firifiri (Tahitian coconut doughnuts) and taioro (grated coconut, lightly fermented with raw oyster muscle). These are breakfast delicacies that are enjoyed on Sundays mostly. The third is a group of friends from Ahe as well as a reveler who was still going from the night before.
IMG_2690-1.jpg

IMG_2694-1.jpg

IMG_2697-1.jpg

My dad hadn't been there for about 8 years and I hadn't for a couple either so every where we went we were getting greeted and invited in. It ended up being the best (not the shortest) voyage to farm I have taken.
Here's a pic of my salty pop. That's Kamoka farm manager Laurent in the background.
IMG_2722-1.jpg

Josh, that was cool to travel with you and your dad. It sounds like you had a blast. ;)

Josh your pictures are always breathtaking and your stories always entertaining. I think it would be a blast bumming rides around the tuamotus with you.

Josh,

I started my day with your magical tour. I got warm with envy. :)

Enjoy being with your father, he looks absolutely great !!!

Hi Josh -

What an awesome trip - thanks for taking us along. :)

Josh,

So fun hanging out with you--vicariously, of course! In the second photo the gold and white boat appears to be floating above the water like a balloon on a string! (To me at least, yeah, I had a little wine tonight, lol)

The boat really kind of floating above the water... even without the wine :D

Wendy, yup, the full story is on my website. He's of the oldschool, never-a-stray-compliment type and yet recently told me that he was pleased to see Kamoka's visibility on the web. Kind of a shocker out of the Pirate's mouth!

Wendy, yup, the full story is on my website. He's of the oldschool, never-a-stray-compliment type and yet recently told me that he was pleased to see Kamoka's visibility on the web. Kind of a shocker out of the Pirate's mouth!

Yeah, my 92-year-old dad is of the same fabric...those compliments can be hard-earned, but when they come, it's well worth it!

Keep up the stellar work and reporting, my friend! Wish I were there...

Sheri

Back