Trying to get educated

H

Howard

My girlfriend has her 50th birthday soon and she's requested a nice pearl bracelet. I've been trying to educate myself in search of a "good deal". For example, I've been looking at Akoya bracelets AAA in quality, and 7.5mm to 8mm in size. I've seen prices ranging from 300-1000 bucks. Of course, once ordered and received, I probably wouldn't have a clue to whether it was AAA or AA. Yes I've seen pics on the web etc, but not sure how accurate that might be. I've thought about going to a retailer to educate myself on the qualities so I'll have some clue of what I'm looking at etc. I also wouldn't have a clue on reputable online dealers as well. Anyway, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

by the way, I'm also open to other suggestions in regard to various types of pearls. I'm like to keep my purchase around 500.00 dollars if possible. I guess I just need to feel comfortable that I'm getting what I pay for.

First of all, I would say ignore the A-AAA ratings. You should based your purchase decision on the luster, color, and cleanliness of the piece. The A-AAA system is not universal (unfortunately), and without any guidelines AAA is used by many sellers to describe every piece they carry (i.e. nearly all sellers on eBay).
Within the $500 range you should be able to get a very nice Akoya bracelet, or 5-10 very nice freshwater pearl bracelets.

First of all, thanks for the response. However if I decided to buy online how can you really tell the luster and color by online photos?

That is very difficult to do. I would suggest purchasing from an online company with a good return policy so if the piece is not what you expect you may return it. There are a lot of good, reputable online dealers, and you will save a tremendous amount over retail. Examine the Sites, read the information available about the pearls, and go with the one you feel most comfortable with (granted they have a generous return policy).

Pearl Bracelet

Pearl Bracelet

Hi, Howard

as Jeremy Shepherd cannot really advertise for his company I will do it for him. I am a customer of Pearl Paradise and have ordered several pieces from them. I asked myself the same questions about quality and reliability when ordering via Online.

Anyhow - You can´t go wrong if You order from Pearl Paradise! Fine quality, low prices and brilliant service. Appraisals included of course and for this kind of money You should be able to get a fine Akoya bracelet.

Personally I recommend You to give freshwaterpearls a second thought. Solid nacre for much lower price, You could buy a necklace and bracelet plus earrings in top quality for the same price.

Let us know what Your girlfriend thought about the pearls.

Inge Jernberg

Hey Inge,

Thanks for the response, and I'm sure Jermey thanks you too!!...:) Anyway I did buy from Pearl Paradise, and I bought her the necklace, bracelet and earrings. She's worth the extra money, she puts up with alot..:)

Back