The Story of my Bahraini Pearls

Caitlin

This is about my third post and I want to introduce myself as I hope to stick around for a while. I am retired, and my favorite sideline has been bead stringing for over 38 years. I love beads and of course, pearls.

In my retirement, my passion for pearls is peaking and I am looking for pearls to string. I have come to appreciate freshwater pearls and will be doing some purchasing and stringing in the future. I will attend the Tucson Gem Trade Shows intensely this February.

I have a small cache of Bahraini pearls, which are truly natural pearls, real pearls. I want to comment on the history of these particular pearls in this History of Pearls section of this forum.

These pearls came from my grandparents, Max and Leila Thornburg (Max comes up with several hits on Google and more on Amazon for obscure book and periodicals) who spent 30 years in the Middle East, 20 of them on Umm a' Sabaan, their own island off the coast of Bahrain. (My grandfather was one of the original negotiators with Ibn Saud for oil rights in Arabia and he became quite good friends with Sheik Kalifa of Bahrain who gifted him with the island for services rendered- I believe he designed an oil refinery for the Sheik.)

Anyway, it was about the time of the death of the pearl industry in Bahrain, because divers would rather work the oil industry. I hear the pearl fields have been pretty much lying there for 70 years. If and when they decide to commercial pearl again, there ought to be some big ones! I may have this tidbit of history too short, so please add any additions or corrections on Bahraini pearls from those of you who do know.

In spite of this dubious distinction of contributing to the demise of pearl diving, my grandfather fully appreciated the original trade of Bahrain and acquired a passion for pearls. He even bought a pearl dhow which sailed the waters around Bahrain and dove around himself. He had an inventory of fine pearls from his participation in the pearl trade. He also kept the pearls he found himself, mostly tiny, baroque, and worthless, except as history. He kept all his pearls in squares of red silk, and opened them for many folks, including rapturous grandchildren, to see. He spoke read and wrote Arabic fluently and loved to haggle. He had jewelry made for my grandmother and his daughters from Bahraini pearls and he had his grandchildren, including me, come visit his island in the Persian Gulf the Christmas of 1954.

I received my own pearl necklace of Bahraini pearls graduated from about 2 -7 mm, from my grandparents, through my mother. I wore it once or twice to the opera and/or ballet, but didn't get possession of it until I was a mother.

The pearls, as strung, could not have been more out of style at the time (1968) and I was already 2 years into my career as a bead stringer. I have adorned several special necklaces with them for family members, as there are more family members than the short necklace. I have held these pearls dear and passed them out sparely and still have about 8-10" left. The gift necklaces go out with strong statements about the rarity and authenticity of these natural pearls!

Caitlin

Last edited:
Hi Jesse
Akoya pearls are cultured pearls, not natural pearls.

"Natural pearl" means grown with NO intervention from people.

"Nature" referring to pearls is not a proper use of the word.
Nature... is used for all the things in the world that aren't human or made by them (wikipedia)

I suggest you move these pictures to the "show me your akoyas" thread, as they will just confuse people looking at them over here.

Here are some natural pearls from the Persian Gulf, mostly Bahrain, but 3rd from right looks Qatari

Attachments

• Mickey%27s%20pearls%20first%20line%20croppedmore%20008.jpg
    Mickey%27s%20pearls%20first%20line%20croppedmore%20008.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Since we had a person who was playacting a false role on this site and made a lot of false claims, I have decided to go ahead and post some actaul pictures and links that support my highly unusual claims about my background with pearls.

My grand dad was a public person to some extent and can be readily Googled. He has a list of entries at Amazon as well, of books and articles he wrote and ones that mention him.

This is my favorite picture of my grandad sitting by a scale model of his pearling dhow. He is holding a cache of pearls in the red silk cloth in his hands. The pisture was taken at his Umm A Sabaan office's library.

Note the flag of Umm A Sabaan on the model.

Attachments

• max w pearlbag and dhow small.jpg
    max w pearlbag and dhow small.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the article that goes with above picture. It was in the National Petroleum News (British, I think) in May 1942. Just check out the bold- the rest is not about pearls.
Oil Advisor Thornburg: In Umm A Sabaan, a King

Petroleum Advisor to the US State dept is the official title of Max W Thornburg in Washington DC, but out on the blue waters of the Persian Gulf he’s ruler of a romantic island, Umm A Sabaan, whose history dates back to Sinbad the Sailor.

Umm A Sabaan meaning “mother of seashells” in Arabic was given to oilman Thornburg by his highness Shaikh Hamad bin Issa Al Kalifah, ruler of Bahrein. Umm A Sabaan flies its own flag and is similar in design to that of the independent principality of Bahrein, except for a figure of a seashell woven into the pattern. A reproduction of this flag may be seen on the stern of the pearling dhow shown on this page.

A Dhow is an Indian coasting vehicle, Mr. Thornburg explains, and has been used on the Arabian Gulf for thousands of years. As the name “pearling” implies, Mr. Thornburg’s dhow is used for pearl hunting. In fact, just recently, he received a shipment of pearls from his island.

The oilman came to the State Dept last fall from the California Texas Petroleum Co and Bahrein Petroleum Co where he was vice-president in charge of operations for both companies and which he had held (text missing)

(text missing) 1936 he’d worked for California Standard starting in 1922 as draftsman at this company’s Richmond refinery. He was later chief engineer of refining, then refinery manager. For 5 years he was chairman of the refinery board.

In Washington DC Mr. Thornburg keeps the state department advised on all oil matters, is Chairman of the Foreign Petroleum Policy Committee, and a member of the Foreign Operating Petroleum Committee and the Petroleum Supply Committee for Latin America. He is also a special assistant to Under Secretary of State Sumner Welles and a petroleum advisor to the Board of Economic Welfare.

Mr. Thornburg was born Oct 23, 1892 at Rancho Alamitos, near Long Beach Calif. He is a graduate of the University of California has an AB and BS in civil engineering and did a year’s graduate work at the University of Grenoble in France. He is married and has 2 daughters and a son.

In world war I he entered as a second lieutenant and became a captain, spent three years abroad with the army of occupation.

Since world war II broke, Mr. Thornburg has been to London four times. No stranger to this city, Mr. Thornburg is a member of the Atheneum and Royal Thames Yacht Clubs. He is also a member of the Pacific Union and Metropolitan clubs.

In Mr. Thornburg’s high ceiling office, he has part of his own large library on Arabic history and folklore. He reads, writes and speaks this ancient romantic and difficult language.

Last edited:
Here is a recent image of Umm a Sabaan island. It is about 1 mile by 1/4th mile about 100 acres. (not sure hoow one translates to the other, but I have heard both.

Attachments

• google earth image of Umm a sabaan small.JPG
    google earth image of Umm a sabaan small.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 47
This is the first of the only 2 photos I could find of my grandmother wearing pearls from her husband's dhow. 25th aniversary in 1943

Attachments

• 1943 Mexico Max & Leila aniversary cropped.jpg
    1943 Mexico Max & Leila aniversary cropped.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 52
Here is the second taken about 1953- after a couple of decades of pearling....

Attachments

• 1945ish Max & Leila w pearl cropped.jpg
    1945ish Max & Leila w pearl cropped.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 55
These are from my strand. They were dirty when I took this picture clearly showing signs of wear.

Attachments

• dirty pearls.jpg
    dirty pearls.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 46
Here is a shot of them after a salt slurry bath, several rinsings with untreated water, patted dry, then left in a shell in the bathroom to rehydrate.

Attachments

• Mickey's pearls on white small.jpg
    Mickey's pearls on white small.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 51
Here they are strung up with some of my childhood small hand carved natural coral beads made by a Navajo craftsman in the 1950's. Also Navajo carved drilled turquoise from another necklace from my childhood in the 1950's. I think this version has too much coral, so I am going to add more turquoise and pearls and make it as long as it was originally. Soon

Attachments

• Bahraini pearl necklace small.jpg
    Bahraini pearl necklace small.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 42
Here is a third picture and a third strand of pearls. This pic is also from Mexico 1943

This is the strand my mom got .

Attachments

• 1943 barge Leila wtih pearls cropped small.jpg
    1943 barge Leila wtih pearls cropped small.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
People sometimes ask me if I ever went to Umm A Sabaan. Yes I did for Xmas of 1954. I was 13, in 8th grade. My litlle sister and 2 cousins and I traveled alone from NYC to Dahrhan Arabia. Here is a picture from our stopover in Rome. I was amazed at the VIP attention we got. This picture was in a newspaper. We spent the night in Beirut, alone, no vip treatment there.

Attachments

• 1954 xmas Rome Airport cropped.jpg
    1954 xmas Rome Airport cropped.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Here we are on the northern most tip of Umm A Sabban. I don't have any other pix of this trip though I know there are many of them.

Attachments

• 1954 xmas umasabaan small wind.jpg
    1954 xmas umasabaan small wind.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 51
Caitlin,

What an interesting history and documentation of grandmother's pearls along the way. I just found this post and loved it. Just like all "newbies" I am reading all the back posts I can when I can.

Thank you for sharing.

What a rich family history. I missed this series of posts for some reason because I have been a lurker for more than a year before I joined the forum. I do know of the deceit you speak of. I guess it all worked out for the best because we got to see and hear a great story.
Thanks Caitlin for sharing!

Persian Gulf Natural Pearls

Persian Gulf Natural Pearls

Caitlin Williams said:
Hi Jesse
Akoya pearls are cultured pearls, not natural pearls.

"Natural pearl" means grown with NO intervention from people.

"Nature" referring to pearls is not a proper use of the word.

I suggest you move these pictures to the "show me your akoyas" thread, as they will just confuse people looking at them over here.

Here are some natural pearls from the Persian Gulf, mostly Bahrain, but 3rd from right looks Qatari

I am getting conflicting information about the existence of any NEW Gulf pearls, which most people report died out in 1930 or so. The major natural pearl sellers in Bahrain seem ambivalent themselves, and advertise "Bahrain Guinean pearls", which my investigation suggests may be new natural ocean pearls imported to the Emirates from New Guinea. Please point me to some reference that documents any significant number of quality Gulf pearls coming today from the sea, not from existing collections. Many thanks. Tom Stern,MD

There seems to be a little bit of pearling going on around Bahrain, but it is not commercial.

Maybe there is a bit of a black market going on which would explain the hedging you experienced. Don't you think if there were a "natural New Guinean pearl" market, it would be news? It would be quite a story how the Bahrainis sewed up the market without a peep. I would like to hear more about that!

Those pearls pictured above are from the thirties, maybe forties. My grandfather took a great interest in the Bahraini pearl life when he lived over there from the thirties thru the fifties. He "owned"/ran a pearling dhow, which he kept going as long as he could, but it was over by the late forties. I don't think there were enough people left who wanted to, or were able, to keep the pearling life going. If you are interested, I wrote a bit about it elsewhere in this forum, but you can find it by searching for Bahraini pearls..........

I just had to add that I just had to move that other thread to a non-public section. And put His Royal Highness' post here. (That is what HRH stands for right? :D )

Most of that thread was a classic case of Zeidian fantasy. Those were not Siberian pearls, and they don't glow in the dark! they are just more more freshwaters, albeit very pretty ones.

She even mentioned the Lop Noors again in that thread. Don't get me started on those!!!!!

I am so sorry for all the pollution in pearl knowledge she caused and I am trying to undo it as I find it. I was a major feed into it and I regret not following the little voice that kept saying, "What! What? This is unbelievable!" sooner than I did.

Caitlin Williams said:
Most of that thread was a classic case of Zeidian fantasy. Those were not Siberian pearls, and they don't glow in the dark! they are just more more freshwaters, albeit very pretty ones.

She even mentioned the Lop Noors again in that thread. Don't get me started on those!!!!!

I am so sorry for all the pollution in pearl knowledge she caused and I am trying to undo it as I find it. I was a major feed into it and I regret not following the little voice that kept saying, "What! What? This is unbelievable!" sooner than I did.

Oh man, while I was re-read the part about HER(Her Exaggerated Refabricator) buying up all the Siberian pearls over a certain size, I was eating a tangerine and I almost choked on it with laughter. It was a fine tale....greedy rich Moscovites, MOP handles on cutlery...yah, a might fine tale.

Slraep

Back