"The KJM Collection" - Andrew's Mom's Pearls

For the Miki that was priced around $50k, did it have a diamond in the clasp, and was it the traditional scrolled bow clasp?

For the Miki that was priced around $50k, did it have a diamond in the clasp, and was it the traditional scrolled bow clasp?

It was the normal Mikimoto clasp, but with a small diamond in the center, serving as the release for the clasp.

How fun to get to play with such fine pearls! The luster is just breathtaking!

I believe the AAA Miki's always have the diamond in the center of the clasp, whereas the lower grades (AA, A+, A, etc.) have the pearl in the clasp.

I think someone here once found a diamond clasp Miki strand at a consignment shop for $100. I want to shop where they're shopping.

I believe the AAA Miki's always have the diamond in the center of the clasp, whereas the lower grades (AA, A+, A, etc.) have the pearl in the clasp.

I think someone here once found a diamond clasp Miki strand at a consignment shop for $100. I want to shop where they're shopping.

No kidding.

Just for clarification however -- not sure if it's new/changed -- but the AA strands also had the diamond in the clasp. Only A and A+ strands had the pearl in it.

Andrew and Mom visit Mikimoto in Las Vegas at the Shops at Crystals!

First and foremost, for presentation and display as well as just general luxury feeling in a store, Mikimoto cannot be beat, hands down. Of course, that's also why their prices are what they are... :)

We had the chance to look at some truly extraordinary pieces, including a WSS strand that was big -- "Wilma Flinstones" as my mother said:

View attachment 69038

I didn't get a neck shot of that strand, but it was truly spectacular, and my mother absolutely rocked them, even though she didn't like them.

Next up, we got to see some beautiful Tahitian earrings that my mother tried on:

View attachment 69039

My mom has always most loved the beautiful Akoya pearl, though, and that's what she enjoyed looking at most.

We brought her Natural White Hanadama strand from Pearl paradise, and it was quite informative to be able to compare what PP has to offer with Mikimoto.

This was the beautiful (regular, not natural white) AAA strand from Mikimoto that my mother tried on:

View attachment 69040

My cell phone photos can't do the strand justice, honestly. They were truly spectacular, beautiful pearls. I haven't seen anything like them before in person.

Here's the AAA Miki strand next to the PP NWH strand:
View attachment 69041

And a great comparison photo to show the difference between what pinked and non-pinked strands look like:

View attachment 69037

Truth be told, the Mikimoto strand was certainly more lustrous, HOWEVER, and that's a big one, I would certainly expect it to be for the price -- an eye-watering, soul-bleeding $56,000.

Beautiful, absolutely. But an absolute unfathomable cost.

Still, it was quite cool for mom to try on such amazing jewelry, and the salesperson at Mikimoto was by far the kindest and most generous of any jewelry store we went to in Vegas. He was more than happy to let us compare with the PP strand and ask as many questions as we wanted.

So, while we won't be buying a AAA Mikimoto strand anytime soon, it was sure cool to see and hold one in person. And, so far as prices go, PP wins hands down for value. You could have a car's worth of cash to spare, buying a PP strand -- that's more pearls ;)

So, all in all, kudos to everyone involved -- kudos to Mikimoto for the most lustrous pearls I have had the chance to see. Props to Pearl Paradise for having very high quality pearls at very not-ridiculous prices.

Please feel free to ask questions about pearls we saw or anything else. Mom would love to relive it, and I enjoy sharing. :)

Andrew, thanks for all the lovely photos and comparisons. But my heart belongs to those Tahitian and diamond earrings. Do you recall the price on those, by some chance?

No kidding.

Just for clarification however -- not sure if it's new/changed -- but the AA strands also had the diamond in the clasp. Only A and A+ strands had the pearl in it.

Hum, I wonder if that has changed. My mother's double strand of Mikis were AA. They came as single strands, and Mom had a custom clasp put on them. I have the original 2 Miki clasps and they have pearls in them. I also have the documentation that they are AAs. My sister got the pearls and I ended up with the clasps and the documentation.

Even though they aren't quite "value for money," I just couldn't let our awesome memory of the Mikimoto store in Vegas go ENTIRELY unforgotten.

So, on its way in the mail for Mom are a pair of Mikimoto 7.5mm Akoya studs in AAA quality! :D They weren't exactly cheap, but I know they'll look incredible.

Can't wait to share some photos with you all!

You really do take great care of your mother. Every mother would be trilled to have a son like you. She will treasure those earrings for ever.

Your mom's ears will be properly adorned, Andrew! Looking forward to seeing photos!

I'm terribly behind on posting, but here are Mom's Mikimoto AAA studs to commemorate our visit to Las Vegas! They certainly aren't cheap but they have an undeniable appeal to them and they are really gorgeous. :)

mikiaaaearring.jpg

I've found a lovely pair of gem quality loose gold south sea pearls that I've picked up for Mom, even though I have no idea yet how we will set them or what we will do with them. They are a little larger than she normally wears, at 11.9mm, but they were such a lovely pair I could not pass them up.

They are quite light, but boy do they have some personality! They can actually turn very sunlight-gold in harsher side light, but given diffuse light they look nearly cream and very buttery.

They have a wonderful tone and fantastic luster, however. Excited to draw something up or come up with a cool project to make!

GSS1.jpg

GSS2.jpg

Back