the fighting to find Akoya pearls at the September Hong Kong Fair

Cees

Never seen so many buyers of Akoya pearls during the September 2015 Hong Kong Fair. Saw buyers occupying the places of sellers behind the counters.

I was looking for small 2.5- 3 mm and 3-3.5 mm strands, which I found of Mikimoto quality.

Love the luster and roundness.

Cees
www.amsterdampearls.com

Attachments

• akoyasmall1.jpg
    akoyasmall1.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 29
  • akoyasmall2.jpg
    akoyasmall2.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 27
  • akoyasmall3.jpg
    akoyasmall3.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 27
Absolutely lovely! Interesting that akoya was so popular this time. I wonder why...?

not easy to make close ups, but here are a few. I think in real they are a lot more beautiful

Attachments

• akoya1.jpg
    akoya1.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 33
  • akoya3.jpg
    akoya3.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 33
  • akoya4.jpg
    akoya4.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 36
  • akoya5.jpg
    akoya5.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 30
Thanks Cees; really beautiful! My heart goes to those tiny buttery colored ones :)

Yes, that side of hall 1 was pretty busy compared to the freshwater aisles which were quieter. There were fewer multi akoya strands than March, but prices were a bit more sensible. I found some natural light golds and some fantastic Vietnamese multi 'greys' . Metres and metres of whites as always.
Lots of demand for SS and tahitians too.
I suspect some of the throng was simply due to freshwater shopping being done before the show in offices (which is what I do anyway as it is calmer) while Akoyas only appear at the show

Beautiful little pearls Cees ( but you always have beautiful pearls :) very sweet ! Why do you think the Akoya was so busy? Have those prices not increased as much as the SS and Tahitians? I know nothing about Akoya and have never bought them so no idea as to prices . And at Mikimoto quality ! One that note I will say that in NYC on Monday I walked into Mikimoto to take a look and get an little Akoya education. There was a Columbus Day parade on so all the stores were pretty empty...no one in there...so I took the opportunity to ask a very lovely saleswoman about the pearls. She brought out a stand of 8-8.5 AAA AA A and laid them out for me so I could see the difference in lustre... Fascinating. Prices to stop your heart though lol )

Wendy you should post a photo of the ones you bought..I'd love to see them.

Okay, your wish is my (etc) these are the Vietnamese greys. n grey round viet grey4440.JPG 6mm to 7mm

natural shades of blue and grey. Some pearls with a pink or green overtone.Strong colour. metallic lustre.
Not photographed the others yet

Back