The Ethical Pearl Consumer

And that is exactly why I posted my original question - "What's the right thing for a Tahitian pearl lover to do?" And I can extend my internal arguement by removing the descriptor "Tahitian" from the question to take in the issue of pollution caused by FW cultivation. I'll drive myself crazy before I buy any more pearls!

Maybe I'll start a new thread called "The Philosophers' Pearls."

All types of pearl culturing is an intrusion on the natural ecosystem. If you are disturbed by this then buy your pearls from farmers who you know are using the least intrusive methods of culturing and are actually doing something to offset the intrusiveness of their pearl culturing. For instance, designating areas for wildstock and aquatic life to flourish under protection. Essentially to give back just as much as is reaped.

I've yet to hear of anyone in China that cultures pearls in any ecological way. I would discourage the Chinese farmers from producing sub par pearls by buying CFW high quality pearls only. Their problem is that they've buried the treasure under tonnes of cheap garbage. It's the mass production of all the cheap garbage pearls that is the main problem at the moment. The government should not allow anybody who lays claim to a body of water to pollute it with the culture of rice crispy pearls that will be dyed a neon green colour and sold for .50 cents a strand on e-Bay.

Not sure what 'the consumer' - whoever they might be, should take up as a general rule of conduct.

Does anyone feel good being called that? [i.e. 'you, the consumer']

It might be just a quirk of language getting lost in translation, but I can't quite get used to that. [not from you right now, Anne, very much in general]

sorry Ana, I am at fault for the consumer term, however I think it is both apt and correct in this situation.
Slraep, I am sure that every pearl farmer in China would love to produce such high quality stock, but the reality is that there are many, many farmers who are constantly improving their quality. but of course no chance that they will open 25 oysters and find 25 beautiful lustrous 12mm and over semiround pearls for one strand. No, there is still a lot of waste at even the best farms... the piles (read mountains) of empty shell that line and litter the roadsides near Zhuji are truly frightening for the ecologically aware...

No, there is still a lot of waste at even the best farms... the piles (read mountains) of empty shell that line and litter the roadsides near Zhuji are truly frightening for the ecologically aware...

Oh yes, I am well aware of the mountains of shell. I posted pictures of them in a thread a while back. I just think that at the moment the two biggest problems in China are the enormous amounts of pearl culturing going on in proportion to other pearl producing countries, and the absence of quality control. Only once those two things are resolved, can we push for more ecological culturing methods.

"What's the right thing for a Tahitian pearl lover to do?"
That depends on right for whom? for you, for the pearl farmer, for the pearl seller, for the planet, for the local environment...etc
About what are we most worried...the shellfish or the people who are making their livings from the pearls.
If we wanted a perfect environment we would not have pearls at all.
And China produces more pearls than anywhere else because they can and they do. They may not be the finest pearls (yet) and they may not be the most environmentally sustainable (yet) but huge advances are being made in both ..probably at least in part because at the moment there is still much room for development.
there will always be producers everywhere who strive to be the best at all aspects of what they do, while others will only want to get rich easily and quickly. That is human nature.
If you really want to support ecologically sound Tahitian pearl farming for example you have to go to named farms and not buy from bulk sellers, especially after the recent market glut.....Hence the dilemma as identified by Nerida. Put your money where your mouth is?

About what are we most worried...the shellfish or the people who are making their livings from the pearls?
Good concept. Wendy. In this case the shellfish are cultivated by humans as an agricultural crop. So the ethics of raising shrimp would be similar to raising shellfish and also similar to other crops like chickens, beef, etc. There must be people involved in culturing pearls at every stage. I think some people balk at the entire concept of having crops that need to be killed.

I'm musing on the nature of a farmed pinctada's life. I'm tuning in...ah yes, they do have a pinctada consciousness, a fairy or deva or what ever you call it...... I find I know a bit; it is just changing to the oyster's perspective......

Pinctadas came from spat, the newly hatched stage. The spat may have been wild-caught in the beginning years of pinctada cultivation, but the example we are following may have come from spat grown on the farm. There is still a place for wild-caught spat, who are then given a perfect place to grow safely. I am sure that far more of the spat would not have survived in the wild. So these guys were given a good crack at having a well feed and less stressful life. They are fed and and also groomed so parasites and other marine growths would not stress them or slow their growth.

When it is time, they are "grafted" a word which means they have had a human open them slightly and implant a MoP bead with a piece of mantle tissue into them, then return them to the water where they continue to be fed and groomed until humans open them again and take out the pearl. Grafting by humans is hopefully the only real stress in their lives so far.

After the pearl harvest, there is a food harvest and a shell harvest. Some few pinctadas escape the second two harvests. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the majority of deaths are not due to the pearl harvest. For most of the pinctadas, their deaths come at the food harvest. After a few years of a pampered life most of them would not have had- if not cared for in a nursery. After death their shells provide every mother of pearl need for human industries based on it.

The pintadas experience stress in their cells when their environment is not ideal, but do not have memories, they just are. Whether on a farm or in the wild, when they die, they die without pain or regrets because they aren't very brainy- a bit brainier than a plant. Maybe they are one of plants' first experience in fleshiness?

If we wanted a perfect environment we would not have pearls at all.
Another chance to say that so few wild pearl oysters ever get physically injured in a way to produce a pearl explains why natural, wild grown pearls are so super rare. The cultured pearls are cut (injured) and the nacre bearing cells introduced along with a bead. This human intervention produces pearls in abundance compared with nature.

>Hence the dilemma as identified by Nerida. Put your money where your mouth is?

Quite seriously, I think that's the best advice given by far. And while I admit to being a cynic (or even a pessimist) regarding many of life's subjects, on the issue of bargain hunting, I have a lot of faith that there are *many* people who aren't just going to go for the lowest price.

Navigating this thought process in regard to pearls does not feel foreign to me by any means, quite probably because that I've spent the last few years putitng my grocery lists through the same type of test. I do pay more for organic foods, especially meat and dairy. It's been the 'family project' for quite some time now, and we've had to examine our feelings on everything from environmental impact, to animal husbandry, to health. We had to research these things, figure out where/how to source them, and even addressed the whole topic of if, or more accurately 'how far', we would ever want to go vegetarian. Where we seem to have landed is in the realm of preferring organic farming, especially on meat and dairy; we buy 'certified humane' when given the option (a whole nother label and a whole nother topic, but I only mention it to point out that, yes, it does cost more), and local/small-scale-farmed products. Yes, it costs more. No, we're not rich. But we will, and indeed often have, passed up supermarket 'bargains' in favor of those benefits we feel we gain (ie. benefits to our health, the environment, the local economy, and yeah, even the health of our karma).

That's where my head already was when I began researching pearls. And yes, hubby and I are going through the same thought processes in these purchases now, as we do with our grocery list. Not overly long ago, we made a few purchases from druzy. They were auctions and the items were in high demand -- the prices reflecting that. They were a few josh pearls, and the very reason we were willing to put in such a high bid in the first place was because yes, every dollar *is* a vote. A conclusion we've been coming to for a number of years now. When one auction ended pretty high, hubby even said, "Well, it speaks well for josh's farm, right?"

Currently, we're in the process of getting a very nice strand of kamokas from another vendor here. We were offered a few choices, and we went for the more expensive strand. No we still haven't hit the lottery, nor is hubby one of those AIG execs pulling down the big bonuses. But a bargain is *not* the most important factor to us. ...... I tell you, in so many cases I'm an absolute pessimist, and probably one of the biggest cynics when it comes to people's motivations. But on this topic, I just can't muster that cynicism. --- I know so many people in my everyday life who determine their grocery lists based on similar parameters, and I have no doubt that once they did their research and knew the score, they would buy their pearls in much the same way.

(And I really, really want to emphasize my disclaimer ... this has nothing to do with the vendors here, and everything to do with the sources of the pearls. I think this board is an amazing resource in that so *many* vendors here *do* stock pearls from a whole variety of farms, including those more environmentally friendly. :) :) )

That depends on right for whom? ...About what are we most worried...

That's pretty much what I was trying to say with the previous post: what is 'right' becomes rather personal when it comes down to what anyone can be asked to do. Even among buyers.

Caitlin that was brilliant and thanks for beating me too it.
It's important as well that people understand that on some Tahitian pearl farms, like mine, the fish populations near the farm have actually increased and returned to pre-human inhabitation levels. The oysters collect fouling which includes all sorts of different organisms from algae to oysters to crabs to anemones, etc. There is a variety of fish for every kind of fouling so the food is distributed throughout the different groups of species, keeping the natural balance that nature prefers. I wish I could better describe to the world how positive Tahitian pearl farming can be to the ocean, the oysters, the people, etc.

I wish I could better describe to the world how positive Tahitian pearl farming can be to the ocean, the oysters, the people, etc.

You know, in all this discussion, I think I need to say that when I am choosing which supplier to use, one who demonstrates obvious care for their staff and for the social fabric of their community, along with their industry's place in that community, will win for me every time. Yes, I care about the oysters, and very much about the ocean - but the people? You betcha! And maybe that's what is the omnipresent thing in this discussion as it relates to the Tahitian pearl industry - what is best for that community and its socioeconomics... and that has to be the preservation of the industry.

Here, here Nerida! I agree, and I think that if the info is available, I'd like to have the choice. I'm not kidding myself about the Chinese pearls, but I do try to buy them from people that have some soul about what they are doing, and who will be open to making the right choices as they become more available with the CFWs. I take pride in buying and selling Kamoka pearls, and I'm willing to pay the extra price to be able to tell my customers about the farm and Josh. I also believe that what goes around comes around, and maybe that's one of the reasons that Josh's pearls are so amazing. When I was in NYC I went to Gemorex to purchase gemstrands. I was so impressed by the Lashkery family's commitment to not only fine gems, but to their philosophy of responsibility to their workers in India and their commitment to not using children. Their stones are beautifully cut, and I tell my clients about them with pride. Not surprised to learn that the owner's son, who I dealt with, is a friend of Sarah's from Kojima! I also like getting pearls from the big guys here (PP, PO etc.) , because I know they are concerned, and approach the business as more than just a product. So all that being said, will I pass on a good deal on Tahitian if it falls in my lap? Hard to tell, I'm human and far from perfect. I'm lucky here that a lot of what has come my way is coming from smaller family farms. I guess if we all try to do the right thing as much as we can, it's a step in the right direction at least.

There is no doubt that pearl farming in China is not green. They are figuring that out by themselves.

http://www.china.org.cn/english/environment/220656.htm

Misuse of the rat poison kills many people .... The easy availability of rat poison also gives devious people ideas on how to use the poison to knock off people they hate or who's death they will profit from.......

Slraep

This makes me so so sad. Human kind really hasn't changed much in 10,000 years. Individuals rise above the morass, but there are so many who do not.

What I love about this forum is that so many here think about things and then do something about it.

Thank you to all of you who have posted your concerns here.

I am very concerned about the state of the environment in China at this time but more than the mussle fertilizing and rat poison, I am concerned about the tons and tons of poisons we cannot dump here in the U.S.A. that we send over there. It makes me sick.

Like a lot of you, I think we should live by the light that we each have as individuals. But remember: if you have an opportunity to purchase Tahitians, or Freshwaters, for that matter, this year and you purchase them from ethical vendors, you are supporting the industry.
If we do not purchase any pearls, the industry really will collapse.

PearlA: You are going to drive yourself nuts. Your questions are great and your concerns are valid. And I thank you for your voice as it gives us all a chance to think this through in greater detail. If it was me (and it's not so please don't shoot the messenger) I'd buy my little girl a necklace from her 'home' of origin. Maybe I wouldn't give it to her now, until I made peace with myself about it. But algal blooms killed off many of the freshwater lakes in Japan. If China goes that way, you may have lost your opportunity. The Chinese are very smart and pretty flexible so maybe they will save themselves.

Give your little pearl a hug for me,

barbie

Just to be the devil's advocate:
If we are talking about choices and what is right and wrong. You have to be sure how deeply you believe in something. If you really believe it is wrong to purchase a Tahitian while there is no tax on them because there is dumping on the market, then maybe you shouldn't purchase this year.

If you will forgive the example:
I have some dear friends who are Jehovah's Witness and they live in Greece. A son has been in prison for 10 years. Why? He refuses to join the army and kill believing it forbidden by Jehovah.
In Greece and several other countries it is lawful to sentence such a person to one year in prison. There is also a law which allows this person to be released from prison after 11 months. On the 12th month they re-incarcerate him and make him serve again. The law allows this repeatedly because he has not yet served 12 months consecutively. There are a number of men, no longer young, who have been in prison over 10 years in this way.
This is an extreme example of course but my point is: How strongly do you feel about it?

Would call that by another name then 'strong conviction'... but I am of a different Church and not quite aware of the intricacies of theirs.

Speaking of which...

As a general rule (which is allot said, but this one time, I'd take the risk), I do not equate the extreme quality of acts taken in support of a view with its merit. [somehow, in straight English this statement sounds a tad extreme by itself!]

This has only little to do with my religious convictions and there are many sources for similar statements - Kant's moral imperative is a fairly flashy non-religious one (taking that completely out of its context - I am not enough of a fan for that). Then, there's the story of the fox and the badger that Berlin must have picked from folk tales - the faster the media, the more significant, that.

Of course, this reasoning implies certain attributes of acceptable statements of one's convictions... Well, not sure what that is; experimenting.

All too true Anna.

Iim not sure if it's reprehensible. Maybe. But I've kind of given up working so hard at worrying every little decision to death. If I can afford Tahitians this year and can get them from PP or TPO I probably will. If I can't I won't. I didn't bankrupt Perles de Tahiti.
Heck, if I could send the money straight to Josh and purchase from him I would .
Really I wish I could afford to just go in person, take a vacation and pick out what I want while wading in the lagoon.
The economy sucks.
Next year does not look good either.

barbie

I console myself with the thought that at least we are all able to afford ethical behavior, which some say is a luxury the poor do not have.

Those Tahitians! Would rather need an excuse FROM buying them, not TO buy! Beautiful ;)

In any case, would feel better about the world if charity is not all of the tax-deductible kind. Just one possible take...

...least we are all able to afford ethical behavior...

Apparently, morals are getting more and more expensive. Darn!

Just read the last ever independent issue of the International Herald Tribune :eek: ... recounting a huge FASHION conference they organized in India just with that concept (approx. <<the sustainable luxury of the 21st century is knowing where stuff comes from>>).

I mean, if it takes buying off the runaway to do the right thing, I'm as good as damned!

Doesn't even feel like a joke....

Wonder if an official representative of 15 century luxury wouldn't agree with them, though! ;)

I mean, if it takes buying off the runaway to do the right thing, I'm as good as damned!

(Sorry, I was waiting for any excuse to post this!!) Some Jewelmer runway fashion...

http://www.ameinfo.com/189822.html

Being as good as damned actually sounds better than someone making me wear this outfit! The scarf makes the poor girl look like her head is inflamed and has broken out in zits. Oh Jewelmer, what the hell.

Attachments

• 75070-JEWELMER.jpg
    75070-JEWELMER.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
To me it looks more like a heartfelt tribute to the Amanita muscaria mushroom - it gives off a "beautiful (?!) but deadly" vibe that will surely be the hot trend next season...

Yikes!

I think I can put up with Valli's pearls :) ... but that's about the limit.

;)

Taffin%20Ice%20Bucket%20002.jpg

... those should have been pearls...

Last edited:
Back