The designer's corner

awesome! how are the pearls secured? (if you don't mind my asking...if you do, that's fine too!) if worn together do they nest nicely? are you starting a new line of stacking bracelets? :)

They're set like stud earrings - drilled and glued. They aren't meant to be worn together and perhaps you could, but the idea is really the simplicity. I'd done this before, but not with the FW.

Oh those are gorgeous! I especially love the Kamoka pearls, their colors are so beautiful!!!

Hot off the press (in fact I see I need to clean the scotch tape mark off the silver!). These were shot with my iPhone. Kasumi Chinese mmmm. Found these on a cafe table at Bacara Resort near Santa Barbara. Who knew! :rolleyes: Forgive the wrinkly wrist shot! The Tahitians are from the batch Josh brought to the wedding. It was a custom order.

Beautiful, sleek, and well designed bracelets! Your choice of pearls was excellent.

I'm learning to solder this weekend, which is exciting, and I made this cuff bracelet and ring set. I made it out of the local paper to enter in a contest they're having for newspaper art. I'm kind of smitten with it actually. It's completely wearable and lightweight but sturdy. Wish me luck!

0906131841.jpg

Thank you, Pattye and BAS. It's a bit tedious uploading the pics from my phone, but here are a few of the making of the cuff. The ring is just an extremely miniaturized version of the same design. Since I can't solder yet, I used the second best thing - duct tape!

0905131001.jpg0905131823.jpg 0906131002.jpg 0906131012b.jpg

Last edited:
wow, that is really creative! and actually quite beatiful - can could imagine doind something similar with burlap or rough linen or somesuch. love it and good luck! you have to win with that!

bluebirrrd I agree with the others ~ so creative and fabulous! Good luck!

bluebirrrd I agree with the others ~ so creative and fabulous! Good luck!

Thank you LitGeek, as follow up I didn't win but was given an honorable mention and chosen for display at our fair. Meh, I was really hoping to win one of the cash prizes so I could buy PEARLS!!! Got my eye on some, as always.

A little feedback would be appreciated on this chain maille tincup (2.5mm jumps!). How do you feel about the copper accent wire? I was really just drafting it to prevent wasting silver wire, but I kind of like the contrast.

1016131229a-1.jpg

Oooooh I love that! I was thinking of trying to learn to do chainmaille, I love those Byzantine chains you can do with it. Is it difficult?

Oooooh I love that! I was thinking of trying to learn to do chainmaille, I love those Byzantine chains you can do with it. Is it difficult?

I would say tedious, especially with small rings. I like to think I'm pretty dexterous with my hands, but it's not super fun or easy opening and closing hundreds of micro jumps. I haven't worked out the exact math, but I estimate this necklace will use between 700-800 jumps if I do a length that will double around the neck like I'd like to.

Thank you Lisa and Pattye :eek:. Here's how it looks on a bust. I wanted it to drape and not be too stiff, which can be an issue depending on the ring diameter and wire gauge. Each weave prefers a different aspect ratio, which can throw a wrench in things if you miscalculate.

1016131710a-1.jpg

Back