Tahitian Stretch Bracelets

I've been stringing elastic bracelets for years, and only after extensive wear do they come back in for repair. Elastic is so easy to wear, and many of my older customers live alone, and need something that they can put on easily. Which often translates as meaning "no clasp, or those magnetic things". Those magnetic things are a little unpredictable on bracelets, cos they get attached to supermarket trolleys, frig doors etc ...! The extensive wear is often bracelets worn 24/7, with all the chemical and physical abuse included! But for added security ... I begin or end the stringing at the bead with the largest hole, so that the knot snuggles inside the bead, if possible. Finish with a square knot, and dab with nail polish or any other glue apart from superglue (NO!) But all this you probably know already :rolleyes:...
And I love those bracelets above :)

Kat,those are gorgeous bracelets! How lovely!

Softnsunny, thank you for giving this newbie some very helpful hints and experience with elastic bracelets. I've been afraid of trying / wearing them but I am going to string some up and wear them to get more familiar with what works and the durability of them. It will help me be in a better position to design good looking, long lasting jewelry.

. Finish with a square knot, and dab with nail polish or any other glue apart from superglue (NO!) But all this you probably know already :rolleyes:...
And I love those bracelets above :)

Why? I whipped up several stretchy experiments after seeing this thread, and used the superglue version of Vigor because that's what was handy. No ill effects yet. Does superglue cause damage to/hardening of the elastic?

What kind of elastic do you use? Can you specify brand, thickness or a link here? Thank you.

As I understand it superglue dries rigidly ...and you need a certain flexibility in the knot glue. (which is why it isn't optimal for silk knots either)

Will do. Also left some without glue, no beads on the run so far...

Hum, "Beads On The Run", sounds like it could be a song-----------no, no, no---no haiku allowed!!

A little iambic pentameter, perhaps?

Alas the strand is parted at the knot
by traitor glue that doth not flex and curl
I bend toward the carpet in distress
to seek on hand and knee the furtive pearl

:D:D:D

Boo, oh how true!!

I used 1mm Stretch Magic for my tahitians, thinner diameters for smaller pearls like the silver akoya baroques.
I double knot, then melt the ends and tuck into a spacer bead.

Superglue often eats the elastic (yoicks) depending on the type of elastic you use, The lycra elastic especially dissolves into the glue (the flat fine very stretchy stuff often found in ready-made jewellery, also often multistranded). I find it is far safer to use a slower drying adhesive, and its much easier to keep the glue at the knot, not everywhere else al over the beads, or leaving pieces of you behind with the bracelet. Superglue does give a more rigid bond, and doesn't seem to last. I find my repairs are more successful with a slow curing adhesive, the ones that you mix the adhesive and hardener together. Jewellery seems to prefer just a little flexibility, maybe? Or the Hypo-cement for when you need that very fine needle dispenser ( and it takes the visually challenged me an extra 5 minutes to get the top back on, lol). I'm sorry that I don't have scientific reasons for this, I'm just relating my experience, and multiple experiments with different adhesives. And if my customers are d-i-y, then nail polish seems to be something they have at home somewhere, glue they often don't. (I don't get that, either, but so it goes!)

Thanks for your reply! That makes sense, based on the melty/cracky plastic-superglue reactions one sees from time to time. I think I've not had any issues with the superglue because I only put it on the knot (using Vigor's pushpin top), but I wouldn't want to rely on replicating that technique. :)

I'm finding that Stretch Magic knots hold quite well without glue. Also have some Hypo I can try... I know Stretch Magic can be (gently) crimped after the knot. Might be worth a try, to get away from glue entirely.

Lots of stretchy bracelet pages out there recommending super glue! :eek:

Here is a weird one - the needle fine tube on my hypo cement has broken off. It broke off, but I am still using the cement (half a tube left!) so then I put the needle bung back in the big hole and the tube stuck back on!
I've had the bung come off the cap too.
And watch when you finish a tube and roll it up to squash it and squeeze out the last bits. If you put the cap back on then it can poke right on down through the needle tube and out of the body of the tube so that glue leaks everywhere.
It's great stuff, but tricky!

I must chime in here. I love the hypo-cement too. I think the bit of flexibility gives its bonds staying power. I end up wasting some or wearing it, but its still my favorite. ;)

I talked to the stringer at Tahiti Pearl Market about stretch bracelets. He said he has been using Zap-A-Gap for a few years. He showed me the bottle and, from memory, the lettering looks like this one. There are green and pink versions on the internet. I haven't had time to research the difference but I think he uses the green label.
http://www.amazon.com/Zap-A-Gap-1-2oz/dp/B0006JLLB2

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0001158310684a.shtml

http://www.supergluecorp.com/zap/zap-glues/zap-gap

I also examined the stretch bracelets that he did. He hid the knot inside one pearl which has a larger drill hole on one side only. The other drill hole is the same size as the rest.

Hey,I love the idea of the bead with a larger hole one side to tuck the knot in ...

I've found out recently that Beadalon has a product named Elasticity http://www.beadalon.com/elastic.asp.

It comes in clear color. For Tahitian pearls, I would think the drill hole has to be .9mm to be used with .8mm cord diameter. It's thick and therefore stretches less than Stretch Magic .5mm (which I doubled and knotted b/t pearls). I would think there is no need to knot in b/t pearls if you use Elasticity, or maybe knot every few pearls (to prevent pearls popping on the floor should the elastic snaps).

Last edited:
Back