Tahitian pearls or dyed freshwater? - plz help

tribal

Dear Experts,

I have recently purchased 2 strands of perals in a lot of tribal jewelry. One of them is in grey color - beads 9 mm - 12 mm - with clasp (probably with diamonds). I checked it only with quite famous-brand mossainite tester (so there are at least synthetic diamonds). I could not find any hallmark however it looks lite made of white gold. The second one is in peacock color - beads 14 mm - 15 mm with magnetic clasp. Please see my photos. I would be grateful for your help as I am layman in this area.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

Regards

Bernard

I agree you, BWeaves and Simply adorned. May I add that lustre of second pearls seems to me higher than any tahitian pearls. Only one time, I have found this special iridescent colour of oil on water effect inside a pearl, but never seen outside. That makes me think of metallic glass beads.

Last edited:
I have a faux pearl strand like your second strand here at my house. They are heavier than real pearls and I assume they are glass with a gas in water covering.

Hello, yes they are very heavy. Thx a lot for all respones. Now is everything clear. :)

Regards

Bernard

The second strand has to be imitation pearls which have an iridescent final coating that produces the peacock effect.

Top stand could also be imitation. Rub one pearl gently against another...if they slide easily, they are fake. If they feel a bit gritty, then may be real nacre but probably dyed because they are very uniform.

Bernard,
I agree that the 2nd strand is imitation pearl. With the 1st strand, it appears there are a number of pearls that are slightly off round and oval, though it could be the angle of the camera. Good possibility they are dyed freshwater, if irregularities are noticeable. Check the edge of the drill holes to see if it looks "sharp." This would be a sign of cultured pearl.

Back