Tahiti Pearl Market farm in Fakarava

Hanaleimom

Hi,

A friend sent me some photos that he took in October 2008 at Tahiti Pearl Market farm in Fakarava. Fakarava island lagoon was elected Biosphere from the UNESCO. I was told that the number of pearl farms will not increase, which is excellent news to keep the lagoon safe from excessive production. Some island in the Tuamotu Archipelago are over exploited like Takaroa. See UNESCO link here http://portal.unesco.org/en/ev.php-URL_ID=35389&URL_DO=DO_PRINTPAGE&URL_SECTION=201.html.

I also received a youtube link of the only 3 stars Hotel in Fakarava, the Maitai Dream Fakarava. When you see the hotel beach, TPM farm is on the right about 800 meters.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UWlR51VnWs

The farm can be visited. However, they don't organize tour visit and are not advertised on the web. But if you are interested, you can do a free tour and see the grafters working. Just ask to visit Mr. Francky Tehaamatai Pearl Farm, the locals will show you the direction. The farm director is Jean-Claude. He runs all the 7 farms that TPM owns and speaks English. They are closed Sat & Sun. Maybe one day I will get to see a pearl farm, any farm. :D

In the photos, you can see various grafting stations designated by colors which did not show in resized pics. Notice in one photo the grafter just harvested a deep, emerald green pearl; and there is a container of keishi next to her right hand. The keishi are small and are sold only in Tahiti at the moment, not the Honolulu store :(. There are pictures of the cleaning process which is done every 2 months. I realize that Sarah of Kojimapearls and Sheri have posted some photos of Josh's Kamoka farm, which show the cleaning process. But one of the photos here shows a wire cage going through a machine that (I think) the oysters get a "shower" after the manual cleaning. :)

By the way, he also told me that he saw street vendors who sell loose pearls for US $8- $10, without x-ray papers.

Enjoy. The color of the water is beautiful!

CORRECTION 6-27-09: Cleaning is done every 2 months.

Attachments

• DSC00097_1.jpg
    DSC00097_1.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC00110_1.jpg
    DSC00110_1.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC00113_1.jpg
    DSC00113_1.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC00122_1.jpg
    DSC00122_1.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC00129_1.jpg
    DSC00129_1.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Two more pictures:

Attachments

• DSC00131_1.jpg
    DSC00131_1.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC00140_1.jpg
    DSC00140_1.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 43
Cathy - thank you. Gorgeous photos, and now I have just added to my 'must-visit' list...

Very informative, wouldn?t it be great to swim in such clean waters?

Its been so cold, wet and rainy here it's a pleasure to see something so warm, inviting and informative at the same time. Thanks!

By the way, he also told me that he saw street vendors who sell loose pearls for US $8- $10, without x-ray papers.

Anyone care to comment on this? Anyone? Anyone?

Sure:

50 pearls = $400.00
Airfare = $2,000.00
Bragging Rights = Priceless! ;)

The hotel video looks dreamy! Certainly cushier accomodations than Marutea Sud. All of a sudden, I'm feeling the need to return to French Polynesia!

Thanks for the great post Cathy!!

Back