Stringing with silk

pearl-man

We subscribe to "threads" a magazine for quilters and other fabric art folks. My wife does fabric art and that is where i came across an article on silk. About two years ago. I thought i had the year and date in my iphone but no and i already started typing this. Conclusion japanese silk thread is the best because of the length of the silk worm threads.

silk thread

silk thread

I use it most every day. but at 10pm the exact spelling eludes me. It is "tire"
just checked... there are several web sites. I don't buy from any of them. My agent
in Japan will send me boxes of my needs or when my agent in NY goes there monthly he'll buy some for us. When I do this at home I don't have the issue that features the silk article. sometime I'll get my act together.

Pattye,

Waiting to see what you find.

Silk thread article

Silk thread article

we subscribe to "threads" a magazine for quilters and other fabric art folks. My wife does fabric art and that is where i came across an article on silk. About two years ago. I thought i had the year and date in my iphone but no and i already started typing this. Conclusion japanese silk thread is the best because of the length of the silk worm threads.

i finally have the article and the computer at the same time
for the difinitive article on silk read......threads magazine..
February/ march 2011 pages 60-67...

Norm

Norm, Thank you very much for the info. I was able to order some of the silk thread. Just received, but haven't had a chance to look it over and compare with the other silk I am using. I will make a detailed report in a few days on the Lowly Beaders Thread.

thread now sizzors (sp)

thread now sizzors (sp)

Sizzors are more of a problem than any other tool in stringing. We have one
made in Japan that is great. But the pakistan mexico et. al. are all junk
I think we ordered it through a chrochet site. Comment. I use nail clippers
alot for unknotting.
N

Hi Pearl-man nice to see a fellow rethreader, I was taught on the Tire brand many moons ago I now use an Australian product, as someone on the forum calls it my beloved" kaybee" thread :)

As i have mentioned before the silk was very hard to obtain and through trial and error I ended up with this product Kay Gee.
I find it quite pliable (I use more often than not, four strands) I could not do this with full on nylon, I use stiff needles and it would be near on impossible to put 100% nylon on to this kind of needle. It also wears well and is stretch resistant.

I have also mentioned in previous threads that I use micro serrated scissors, marvelous for cutting synthetic thread. Especially when the thread wasnt sized for the hole correctly and the knot gets "sucked" into the hole (Boy can that be a pig to work with - patience and the serrated scissors are a god send)

Have unclosed a picture of the silk thread(would be classed as vintage) at least twenty years old.

Tire-Japanese-Silk-5.jpg

Hi Bernadette
To sort when a knot gets stuck inside a drill hole use a drill. You would usually need a 0.7 bit but it makes very short work of any stuck knots.
Cheers
Wendy

Hi Bernadette,
Do you have a picture of the broach or the item number of where you got it from? Thanks.

Hi Cathy,
They come in sets and Rio Grande stocks them. Just use care as the plastic handle ends seem prone to breaking.

Hi Cathy, those from Rio Grande are the type that I use.

I hold the broach close to the bottom of the handle and ream very gently in an "in and out motion' and go back and forward to both sides of the pearl. (the Key thing is to have a light touch and not really force it)

Mariane, I get good use out of them before the handles give at the top. (when the handle eventually does go. I shave what's left and put the broach in a pin vice).

Hope this make sense and helps

Imagine chatting with a guy about threading. Our agent in Japan or some other dealer will pick some up for me when they go to Japan and I get a box
Silk is kept in the dark will not rot in a reasonable time, 5-10 years. We have equated the number with weight per __________ something. The diameter
thickness is more importnant than knowing the reference numbers and applying it to a job. We never use 4 threads and with over 100 years of experience
didn't need to unless the thickest is not thick enough to fill the whole. Two threads is plenty and easier to string. I use a stiff needle and a ultra fine needle
for genuine pearls. Most of the time I use a leader which is either 1lb mono ( ultra light weight fishing line).I like blue for contrast and easier to see to thread
in the needle. OK here is the tip of the age! Plug the hole with. and must be this, bristle of a whisk broom, must be natural fiber, not synthetic. check junk
stores, rummage sales for a hand broom that is all worn out. Cut or break a piece off ...pearl on...knot...bristle peace and another knot. viola !
-10 degrees F here tonight.... 7-10 cm snow tomorrow .
ps you can stiffen the end of threads ( thinned with dull single edge razor blade) with bees wax or gum arabic.

reaming.....Tapered reamer works well....watch repair tool....7 works but it should be a chisel blade and not a twist drill. The chisel blade should be tapered left to right or visa versa
about 3 degrees. and sharp. You can sharped with 1500 wet or dry paper on plate glass.

Hi Pearlman,love talking stringing with ye,

Like you I use a different thickness of thread for each job, but this is where the similarity ends. I was taught on the two strand method but evolved to what I do today(started in 1983).

I have found using this method it gives me more control on the pearls/beads and rarely do I have to plug the hole or double knot.

Have put a picture in of a strand of Tahitian pearls that I had to knot. The last three pearls had been drilled excessively on each side (wire was used to string).
I did not have to plug the hole using this method and there was no end shake (wee clock makers term) or for the stringers amongst us - slackness or movement of the pearl and visibly the knots appear the same.

Big-Hole-Pearls-1.jpg

Re the watch repair tool - are you referring to a Pivot Drill? - If so I agree, they are really useful

Last edited:
Bernadette,

Eavesdropping on this conversation, as I've been doing a lot of stringing lately. Thank you, everyone, for sharing all the tips. Would you please tell us more about your technique, Bernadette? Thanks so much in advance. Those holes look really huge, what size are those gorgeous pearls? I've not run into anything this extreme yet, but in combining strands find that drill hole sizes can vary. A few times I've had to use 4 strands to use the best color silk for the job.

Back