Streamlining a bit - Battah's bead babies

Is that a Pokemon! Lol! How cute!!!

I love seeing everyone's creations and it amazes me how anyone can come up with so many beautiful designs! I'm always in a rut for designs. You are so creative Battah, and I just love the Octo necklace! Are the octo babies detachable from the ends? I have to confess, I looked hard to find your mistake in the coral necklace and could not find it. I favor yellow clasps too. And I love the look of the braided necklaces! Your rosebud braided necklace came out really nice too!

Thanks, amti! (Side note, "amti" in Arabic means "auntie," so every time I see your name I feel like I'm chatting with one of my aunts!).

Re: the octos, yes, they come off! I used little hinged rings instead of jump rings to make little bails for them, so they can be attached and removed easily. I'll try to get a picture of the missing bead tonight, it must have been face down when I took that picture. It's not a huge error, but it would drive me bonkers if I left it and I'd rather correct it before gluing on a clasp.

Also, BWeaves and Lady_Disdain, my fellow kumihimo-ers - I thought you'd enjoy this. So lately, since I've been using pearls etc, my kumihimo thread of choice is Beader's Secret. Which is very silky and doesn't want to stay on my marudai - every time I bump it or the tama get too unbalanced, it slides off and I have a tangled mess. I think my husband got tired of hearing "thunk... SON OF A ..." coming from my crafting spot, so he attached some surplus table bumper material we had (from babyproofing tables) to the edge of my marudai. It's nice and grippy without being snaggy, so hopefully that'll solve my problems. Looks ridiculous, no?

20160720_222254-480x640.jpg

What ever works!!! I think it is genius! And if there is ever a little toddler around, you're safe!

My toddler would find a way to trash it in seconds! I can't do this kind of stuff while he's awake...

Hey, if works, use it. It doesn't look weird.

What does look weird, is that it looks like you don't have a counterweight on the finished braid to pull the braiding area down to the middle of the hole. Was that just for the photo, or do you really not have a counterweight? Are the beads heavy enough that the finished braid becomes its own counterweight? I was just thinking that if you had a counterweight, it should prevent the braid from moving if it got bumped.

Also, when I step away from my marudai, I put a chopstick under the "mirror" (round top with hole in it) and through the top of the braid and back under the "mirror." Then I take the counterweight off the braid. This also prevents everything from moving if it gets bumped.

Aren't the bumpers great, JP? They've saved my little guy from a few nasty injuries.

BWeaves I always use a weight, right now I'm unbraiding this piece so I took the weight off. Plus it's actually pretty heavy at its almost full length. Good reminder about the chopstick though, I forgot about that...thanks!

brilliant solution! Those bumpers didn't exist when my kids were little as well. We used whatever we had in the house to cover the fireplace, braided rugs, quilts...

Thanks, SS! We initially just used painter's tape and sponge to try to pad things, then my husband put slit foam pipe covers on everything. Then we found these bumpers online - they look so much nicer, and are really easy to use. Of course my toddler has ripped them off of everything, so now I use them to MacGuyver my crafting stuff ;)

Thanks, amti! (Side note, "amti" in Arabic means "auntie," so every time I see your name I feel like I'm chatting with one of my aunts!).

I'll be happy to be your auntie! :) AMTI is actually initial of my two children and our last name. My daughter is AnnMarie and my son, Tommy. I wanted something unique but easy to remember. I haven't forgotten this one yet. ;)

Amti <3 <3

For your consideration, gang, I finally put a clasp on this one and I officially love it. I might do a bigger clasp if I do another one like this, but this little guy from Gem packed is cute.

Excuse the filter but my skin has been so red from this heat...

IMG_20160725_174347.jpg

Thanks, Marianne! I'll measure them tonight, I think they're around 6-7mm?

Very very nice. I'm still in awe at how u managed to weave them all together

Back