South Sea Pearl Question

Hi Lyra,

This does look like a South Sea strand from the picture. It would be easier to be certain if the resolution were better, but it does appear to be a real piece.
If so I would have to say I think it is a very good deal.
If you can get the seller to correspond regarding the piece this is what I would ask:

What is the coloration of the strand?
It is difficult to see the actual coloration from the picture. Even a baroque strand can be very valuable if the coloration is dark gold. With Golden South Sea pearls a dark gold drop is much more valuable than a very light (champagne) round. But many of the light strands are enhanced which will also affect the value.
How is the surface quality of the strand?
Where is the strand from? The auction states the strand is from Tahiti, but I would presume it is from Indonesia.

If the strand is indeed a South Sea strand (and again, it definitely appears to be), it is a very good price for more or less any quality in that size range.

If you do decide to purchase the strand let us know. I would like to hear your reaction when you receive the piece.

South Sea Pearl Question

Jeremy - thank you so much for looking at this auction. I emailed the seller with those questions you posted and hope to get a reply. Whether I get a response or not, I am very tempted to bid on this and if I do so, I will definitely come back and let you know how it went.

Thank you again.

Well, I won this necklace at $380. Although I asked the seller the questions, their answer was three words ie "it is as pictured". LOL. I expect that these pearls will be light golden and not darker golden. So far I've had good results with South Seas (one dark golden ring and one baroque white pendant) and Tahitians (tin-cup or rolo style) on ebay, but have been disappointed with several vintage akoya strands (although I've also won in the past some beautiful vintage strands as well).

The pearl necklace turned out much better than I expected. The colors are much more vivid than the picture they used. There are also more pear-shaped ones than what was shown and I'm satisified with the purchase for the price.

Thank you Jeremy for looking at the auction.

Back