Something for Nacre Nerds ...

jshepherd

... like myself to appreciate.

This Tahitian pearl from Rikitea is more than 50% nacre.

The minimum standard for export is 0.8 mm, but nearly every pearl we slice has between 2-4 mm. They are growing these outside the lagoons and getting incredible deposition, but still growing them for the full 18 month. This is the sort of nacre that would make Mikimoto proud!

Thick nacre Tahitian pearlTahitian pearl cut in half showing 2-4 mm of nacre

Outstanding Nacre thickness! It would also make C. Dennis George proud :)
He was probably the first outspoken voice commenting on the lowering of nacre thickness that I can remember.
Are these pearls going to be used for a "Geode" setting?

Wow, Thank you! I love looking at the adorable little 'pip' at the top ever since Hisano called it to our attention - um, when was it? During Barb's interview? Anyway, this is wonderful to see!

Hisano is going to turn it into something, I'm sure. This one has an extra layer of conchiolin and some miniature voids near that top that gives a sort of discoloration she doesn't like, but I'm sure she'll find a way.

I sure do learn a lot about pearls watching her work :p

It looks like it was a round pearl first, and then the baroque layer was added on.

Very cool! We are lucky to get to see things like this as the highest quality pearls would never be "sacrificed". Of course, in Hisano's case, the cutting creates dreams come true!

So interesting ... thanks Jeremy! Hope we get a follow up photo of what lovely creation Hisano makes of it :)

Love seeing this Jeremy, thanks for posting and keeping us informed.

Well that's a very pretty pearl - is this typical of the Rikitea pearls or perhaps just from this supplier? I remember you had quite a batch of them a while back. They were so lovely - the colour is beautiful.

The pearl is about 12 mm.

This much nacre is definitely not typical, but with all the circles and drops Hisano has sliced the thickness has been far beyond the minimums. I don't think 0.8 mm would work in her Geode designs so it's a necessity for what she is doing. She has had a much more difficult time finding the right circled South Sea and Chinese fireballs.

Wow, Thank you! I love looking at the adorable little 'pip' at the top ever since Hisano called it to our attention - um, when was it? During Barb's interview? Anyway, this is wonderful to see!

That little "pip" on top is what makes this pearl a "Tokki" pearl. Basically when a cultured pearl and a keshi come in contact and then "fuse" into a single pearl.

There's an article somewhere about this... yep! https://www.ssef.ch/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/SSEF_Tokki_pearls.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your scholarship, Douglas, to infinity! and for the link. Sadly, I probably wouldn't have known how to find the article without it.

Last edited:
Back