Some random pearls I picked up--what are they?

s3rndpt

I snagged these on ebay for what I thought was a great price ($20) because I just loved the way they looked. They badly need to be restrung, especially since they aren't currently knotted. Using what I've learned here and on the Pearls as One course, I knew they were real pearls, but I am just not sure what kind. They have the mirror-like surface and pinkish overtone that I've come to associate with Akoyas, but they are obviously baroque and I thought most vintage Akoyas were round. Are they just especially shiny freshwaters?

They are in 3 strands, about 30 inches long, and the pearls vary between 5.5mm and 6mm. The clasp is marked as sterling, though I haven't tested it. I can't find any identifying marks on the clasp. I took these pictures in artificial light, but I can take them outside and get pictures there if that would be better.

Even if it turns out they are worthless, I just love them--they look so elegant on!

pearl1.jpgpearl2.jpgpearl4.jpgpearl5.jpgpearl3.jpg

Akoyas....baroque, and as many look milky, I think the nacre is rather thin.

Knotting would make the strands a good bit longer. That would allow you to eliminate some pearls if you find any with peeling nacre. Figure 0.3-0.5 mm (0.03-0.05cm) per knot. If none are peeling and all they need is a good bath and restringing, you could leave restring without knots, except neat the clasp.

You certainly did well on the price! A 30" triple strand means quite a lot of pearls to restring. I agree with PD, you can cull out the less than perfect pearls and likely still have enough to restring. Your last photo shows a pearl with what appears to be some missing nacre (pearl on bottom center, left). I'd remove those similar. Since they are all similar in size and are baroque, you won't have to worry about them being graduated. I'd suggest moving the less desirable pearls toward the back of the necklace, and put the best pearls front and center. And of course use Beader's Secret, I'd suggest Ivory since the pearls have a lovely cream color to them.

I guessed right! It appears I *am* learning something, haha!

Thank you for the suggestions--there are definitely a few where the nacre looks like it's gone, so I'll pull those out.
And yes, the clasp area looks atrocious--I've got some silver french wire I'll use to make it look decent. I needed more Beader's Secret anyway, so these will be the perfect excuse to get more.

Thank you both!

You got a great deal. Wash, restring and enjoy!!! Oh, and we require neck shots. Before and after would be really cool to see.

$20 you can;t complain. There is a G after sterling & from the look of the endcaps it could be 50's 60's.
Still many pearls seem to lack luster & are milky & they are not round but look acceptible from afar.

You got 3 strands of 30 inches so alot of pearl there & certainly worth the money. You can't buy faux pearls with what looks like a nice large old clasp for $20.

Thanks, read a thread where it said the endcaps were older...& I have seen them on old strands but I was not basing my judgment upon the endcaps alone. They are even cutting new "old" european cut diamonds now so they all of them may not be old anymore. Other things can point to age like the size & quality of the clasp. Cheap modern pearls are not going to use alot of silver even if silver is cheap because they want to keep the cost down. That looks like a big clasp & guess I'd like to peek in the drill holes & check the nacre thickness. then again clasps can easily be switched! :cool:

They still have screw on non pierced earrings too but I still think there were more common in the older days .

The old days are gone & now we can't even trust gold hallmarks.

I still think the strand is older though but for $20 however old it is its going to be fun to wear..

Last edited:
Back