Small size mm akoya rope

starfish

Community member
I'm wondering if anyone has pictures of a small size akoya rope? I am considering one in the 6.0-6.5 range. I really like the look of small pearls in a long rope, and I already have other ropes in larger sizes. Visuals would be very helpful!

I think I answered you on the other forum? Anyway, first, I would worry about knotting an akoya rope, if that's in the plan. That's what I like to do with my ropes. I checked my smallest mm rope and it's 7-8mm, but I think I could definitely go a little smaller. I might try 6.5-7.0, though, not quite as small as 6.0-6.5. But I'm sure that's personal choice. Of course if you go with one of the companies we know on here and you don't get any special order stuff, I'm sure you could always just return whatever you decide to try if you don't like it. :)

Yes Sea Urchin, Thank you twice! I'm thinking of 35-36 inch to wear long, so no knotting in the plans. I suppose I should just order while the sales are on and see if it looks as I envision. My other ropes (aside from my tahitian) are larger, freshwater pearls. I'm wanting a very high luster, smaller look.
I wish I had looked in Tucson, but way back in February I didn't know I "needed" this.

I have a rope with round FW size 5 and it's knotted. It drapes better, looks better knotted and I don't have to be afraid of loosing 72" worth of pearls if it breaks :)

- Karin

72-Inches sounds DIVINE!! What a great length - I bet you can wrap that 4xs around your neck, yeah? I want one now lol.

There was a wonderful thread on many ways to knot a 100" rope...I can't seem to find it, otherwise I'd link it to this thread. I love mini pearls worn flapper style. I have so many strands of 6-6.5 mm akoya pearls and I am definitely going to have them restrung as a 100" (or as close to it as I can get) rope. Isn't it funny how 6mm seems small...they didn't when I was in my 20s, but now that I'm in my 50s, they are teensy to my eye.

JerseyPearl, the thread you referenced is stickied in the Show Us Your Pearls forum:

Yes, that's exactly what I can do :) I love the relaxed and tossled look. I made a 35" at the same time with even smaller pearls and one of the 5 mm for every six of the smaller ones. It was thought to be possible to wear along with the longer rope but I find I mostly wear it as a bracelet.

- Karin

Back