size matters (WRT knotting)

SunSeeker

I suspect this question has come up before, but I was wondering what everyone thought was an appropriate minimum size for knotting individually between pearls vs just stringing all of them together?

I think it depends on the size of the thread too. I've seen some knots as big as the pearls and at that point, I think it is best to knot between every fifth pearl or use wire. I personally don't like to knot anything smaller than 5mm.

I agree with amti. If the pearls are smaller than 5 mm then either don't knot them, or knot between every 5 pearls.

If the pearls are graduated, where the smaller ones are 5 mm or smaller, but the bigger ones are larger than that, don't knot, either. I think that's how those types of strands were usually strung.

The smallest pearl strand here is 3-4mm and knotted using the thinner beader's secret. Size 40? I think they look good knotted!

IMG_7904.JPG

IMG_7905.JPG

personally I think the shape of the pearl makes a difference as well. I'm not a fan of knotted tiny round pearls ( say less than 4mm) just because the knots (using two strands) have appeared obvious and distracting. However the oval shape puts a bit more distance between the knots and if the knot is small then great, it obviously works well because your strand looks wonderful.

Wow Hanadama, those are small knots. I can't even see them. Good job!

Thanks, BW. Hanadama, your tiny pearls are very sweet. Great job! Thanks, Katbran, shape does makes a difference as well. I don't like to see the knotting out of proportion with the pearl size. ...off to order Beaders Secret!

That's a great example of pearl shape and knots being in proportion and looking good, hanadama!

Agreed, amti, those oval pearls look great knotted! Thanks, JP, I've been buying Pattye's needles and thread for several years now, but just recently discovered that Pattye now offers thread in 3 sizes. I plan to experiment with the other sizes.

OMG I just realised that those photos were taken BEFORE knotting so please disregard my comments above lol.

BUT I will say that it's a great idea to experiment with different thread sizes.

I just did a 5mm strand yesterday with single size 4 (I think that's 0.60 mm?) Griffin silk thread. I tried to use size 2 (0.45 mm) but it didn't look great double knotted, and the hole was sliding over single knots.

In addition to what has been mentioned already, I think it also depends on YOU. I personally like my knots to show, so I don't mind bigger knots as long as it doesn't look ridiculous! I have some necklaces made by others where the knots are so small the holes seem to cover them partially. I'm actually not a fan of that (and who knows how secure the knot actually is if the strand does break).

35in multi CFWP 5.5mm.jpgI just made this 35" strand yesterday using 5-5.5mm multi-color CFW pearls and Pattye's Beader's Secret (#30), while binge watching Frankie & Grace, but I digress. I plan to try knotting some slightly smaller pearls using the #40 size thread and see how that goes.

OMG I just realised that those photos were taken BEFORE knotting so please disregard my comments above lol.

BUT I will say that it's a great idea to experiment with different thread sizes.

HAHHAHAHA! Well that explains why I couldn't see the knots. I was really impressed for a day.

I am working on a small keishi strand now (an obvious plagiarizing of Baby Nurse strand for a pendant). What I have really found is that the size of the hole in the pearl drives the size of the thread and knots. 8/10 mm seems to be the standard for even very tiny pearls. A size 40 readers secret knotted slides right through the holes. I went back to the size 20 and debating whether the knots overwhelm the tiny pearls. I may try a size 30 to see if that holds the knot.

I hardly get it right on the first try!

Aah...the trials and tribulations of creative endeavors!!

Karman--that is a beautiful fresh water pearl rope! Gorgeous colors and great job on the knotting!!

Back