Show Us Your Pearls In Action!!!

What kind of pearls are these?

What kind of pearls are these?

Hi,
I am new on this forum and I would like to know your opinion on my newly purchased black pearl necklace.
They weren't expensive and the lady who sold them couldn't tell me more about them except that they are black. The necklace was a donation and I bought it. I guess that's why she didn't know much about them.
The size of the pearl is around 7.5-8.5mm, in my opinion. I've attached some photos taken in natural light and using the flashlight.
I would like to know, what type of pearls are they? Any other details will be useful to know too.
Happy to provide more pictures if needed.
Thank you all,

Adelina

Attachments

• IMG_20200103_094608802.jpg
    IMG_20200103_094608802.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, Adelina!

Those are dyed cultured freshwater pearls from China. They have no bead inside to make them round, and are solid nacre. The dye is permanent. They are not valuable pearls, but they are durable. Enjoy!

Welcome, Adelina :) Your new pearls will be a lot of fun to wear; congratulations.

AzFlyGirl, you got the GSS and the dark multi Tahitians projects perfect! That's an A-list of helpers, from Hisano to Cees to our own Newberry and Red ... impeccable and generous advice always! I owe many of my pearl finds to that team, and it's always a delightful surprise to hear their insights ... often ones I'd never have considered! Hope to play with pearls in person with our pearl friends in 2020! And I do hope you get a few days off somewhere along the line to rest that voice and put that lingering illness to rest as well.

Thank you both!

Thank you so much for the quick reply!

Wow! It is really impressive how you could tell only by looking at the pictures.
How to recognise if the pearls are dyed or not? or have a bead inside or not? Now I'm curious. :)

Thank you both!

Thank you so much for the quick reply!

Wow! It is really impressive how you could tell only by looking at the pictures.
How to recognise if the pearls are dyed or not? or have a bead inside or not? Now I'm curious. :)

Welcome, Adelina. Hang around here for awhile, and pretty soon it will become obvious. Those pearl shapes indicate Chinese freshwater pearls. The natural colors of these pearls range from white to pinkish peach to a sort of light lavender. Those dark colors are always dyed.

Red, Do not know where those photos disappeared to after an hour of being posted and seen? Just uploaded strand pics again ! Funny they showed up for while, then pooff. Hope this time they will stay !

I appreciate the time you and Newberry took to help me with my pearls. The info you gave me on GSS color was spot on. Having adorned me with a beautiful Kojima GSS, and seeing how the color was not becoming, was a great lesson. I ended up purchasing the CFW metallic necklace Newberry adorned me with, when at Kojima. I call it my Newberry strand, as a compliment to Newberry's exquisite taste :D

Stay warm in the 'cold white north', and safe as I hear it is icy. I look forward to seeing more of your beautiful pearls in post.

We are having a mild winter so far, with highs in the 30s most days. The ice melts if you are not impatient about leaving early in the morning.

As for the "Newberry strand", I have several of those myself. :rolleyes: Enjoy your beauties.

Thank you for the kind sentiments Marianne and Red.

Red (and Newberry) I promise someday soon I will take a picture of my 'Newberry necklace' and post. It is lovely metallic necklace I adore wearing !

CathyKeshi, I so agree, the insight and knowledge of this group of 'pearl-girls' is truly amazing. I value their time and kindness in helping me. You included my dear !! Love your pearls (still drooling over your Fiji pearl necklace). Hisano was wonderful in picking out my GSS strand, and I hear she went through quite a few to find this one strand. So appreciative! And of course Cees...love his lovely array of pearls, and have a couple of strands I adore from him. I too am excited to meet up and play pearls with the girls in 2020. Always a joy with this amazing group! Thank you for the kind words......I am trying very hard to take care of myself and get better. The voice is still sounding deep and raspy....like 'Kathleen Turner' in her BodyHeat days. lol

jeg- you look wonderful in that swing coat , it's such a fabulous shape and I love the movement they have.. The feather pearl necklace is very cool and of course all of Kojima's pieces have great design.

AzflyGirl- That's a really lovely GSS strand. I too prefer more of the mid gold shades. Wonderful lustre. And Cees picked out a great colourful necklace for you. He was the source of my Rikitea strand that I love - like yours it's a great bold multicolour !

Thank you for the explanations! Much appreciated!

I will hang around, as I enjoy reading the comments posted here and I am planning to buy myself a pearl set for my birthday (changing the prefix) in a few months. I usually don't spend money on pieces of jewellery but this time I intend to do so.
Now, it is a matter of choosing the right place from where to buy it.

Thank you, Katbran. I am over the moon with my Golden strand. I think it is so versatile a necklace. It can be dressed up, or down, so I should get lots of use of this lovely necklace..

My Tahitian strand is something I had been wanting for a while, and it is all I had hoped. I am thrilled !

Thank you Katbran!

Adelina, I am looking forward to seeing what you choose for your birthday pearls!!

AzFlyGirl, it was worth the wait.:D

CFW metallic strand (again!) from Pacific Pearl, with a mixed Kojima strand from Pearls By The Bay, doubled.
72A0F382-8FEF-46A0-898D-490BE3C5D578.jpg

D2809F64-274A-404D-B63F-005318CC1B2B.jpg

Very light silver Tahitian strand from PP, with an Akoya keshi/baroque strand from Kojima. The SS pendant is from PP.
4AE1F49C-4041-4AE3-A55A-8460B6F84CDC.jpg

7648B579-E80A-4B74-B3DB-B3686CC4FEB3.jpg

Look at all those interesting shapes and colors on those pearls, jeg. Lovely layering and thanks for posting your pretties.

Thanks, Gemandpearlover! I obviously have been wearing it a lot. It’s sitting out on my dresser so I keep grabbing it.

Thanks, Gemandpearlover! I obviously have been wearing it a lot. It’s sitting out on my dresser so I keep grabbing it.

I may have missed the details if you posted them before. But can you tell me more about the strand please? I love that besides being pure metallic, the strand on my monitor has tones of bronze, rose, green and gold. Also- no blemishes that I can see and nice large pearls. Really spectacular and probably my favorite necklace on this forum.

Wow, Gemandpearlover, what a nice compliment! It’s a beautiful strand. No blemishes and the color shifts depending on the lighting and what I’m wearing. It is definitely coppery, and goes from pinks and greens to purples. Sometimes lighter, sometimes darker. Here is the original listing-

BDF60552-8692-4FF7-ABED-BAB9C2BBD3B6.jpg

Back