Sharing eBay purchases made based on great facts shared by PG members...tyvvvm!

Mommy33

Hope I do this right...never uploaded here. Will show SS pearls and FW pearls and Keshi's. I also recent lay bought some Chinese Kasumi-likes and just think they are metallic and gorgeous...and affordable. If I do this right, I'll try to post if anyone wants to see.

Thank you all so much. My friend who owns a jewelry shop told me recently that she's been knotting and selling pearls for 30 years and can't understand how much she doesn't know about pearls from listening to me rattle off what I've . I gave her the website address. This site is precious. I practice my knotting, and still, I hear 'too loose' from her. Someday... IMAG0165.jpgIMAG0156.jpgIMAG0152.jpgIMAG0157.jpgIMAG0154.jpgIMAG0150.jpgIMAG0149.jpgIMAG0148.jpgIMAG0159.jpgIMAG0161.jpgIMAG0163.jpgIMAG0158.jpgIMAG0160.jpgIMAG0162.jpgIMAG0155.jpgIMAG0165.jpgIMAG0165.jpgIMAG0163.jpg

Here is the list for the pictures above:
1) SS gold undrilled keshies, no flash
2) FW from eBay seller lilei1971. I purchased a strand of each color.
3) SS golds, cream and silver. Only the largest gold is in drilled. Flash used.
4) Same as above. No flash.
5) Other side of pearls on above picture with flash.
6) Same as #5. No flash.
7) Bracelet I made from other FW strands not in earlier pics. No flash
8) Same as above with flash.
9) FW on left, SS on right for size comparison.
10) Closer flash picture of SS's.
11) To my gold SS keshi's from pic 1 with flash.
12) SS & FW size differences with and without flash...two pic.
13) Close up of SS's.
14) Close up of Flash
15) Keshi's from pic #1. Dup...sorry.
16) Same keshi's from #1.
17) Ditto

Thank you for looking.
Barbara Mommy 33

Last edited:
Now you'll have to get to work on more of them so we can see the results. Beautiful pearls! :)

Last edited:
Very nice!

Your knotting will improve as you do it more, but I really recommend using doubled thread and pulling the 2 threads apart to tighten and seat the knot snugly. My own problems with loose knots ended when I started doing this. (See my tutorial stickied on the Lowly Beader's Club for how-to.)

Wendy (pearlescence) has videos on Youtube showing how she makes tight knots with a single thread, using a darning needle to position the knot close to the previous pearl.

Thank you for your encouragement. Wendy sold me the chained SS and I bought much of my start up stuff like silk and tools from her. I sometimes just string them and wrap them around my palm like worry beads! Hope I don't wear the shine off..lol.

Here are the rest of my SS'.
I took a flash and no flash of one side then turned them over and took pictures.
This strand is temporary because I can't knot worth beans.
But I collected these literally one at a time. So no matching. I really love the silver ones and the cream ones...yeah and the gold ones and the black ones...you get the idea!

Again, thank you for your candor and honesty and tons of information. I am indebted.
Barbara

Attachments

• IMAG0147.jpg
    IMAG0147.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMAG0146.jpg
    IMAG0146.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 53
  • IMAG0145.jpg
    IMAG0145.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMAG0144.jpg
    IMAG0144.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 46
Here are the Chinese Kasumi-like strand...not sure if earrings are in store for them or maybe a nice tin cup necklace...

Attachments

• IMAG0169.jpg
    IMAG0169.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMAG0168.jpg
    IMAG0168.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 41
Lovely pearls, Barbara. Looks like you have hours of creativity ahead of you! Love the way we can make and re-make with pearls and gemstone beads. Getting new stones or tire or the old style, just re-do it :) And don't worry, tight knotting comes with practice and as Pearl Dreams said, using the 2 strand method. Glad you are having fun :)

Thank you Marianne. Somewhere in this house I have a good collection of Czech beads, old chandelier glass and some Swarovski. I would love to start mixing and playing. And, thank you for the encouragement on knotting. I bought the "big" spools of silk in two thicknesses. Going through it fast!

Have a lovely day/evening.
Barbara

Barbara,

Lots of fun projects there, beautiful pearls! Thanks for the photos!! Isn't it fun watching the pearls on your pretty bracelet change color with the light?

I am especially amazed at how the flash from the camera captures even the most subtle changes in color on the silver SS pearls. There are small patches of gold and cream that aren't so obvious. Oh I love color...don't you?

Have a wonderful day/evening.
Barbara

Very pretty! I love multi colours! I have found that the two strand knotting works really well...but I also knot with a very sharp metal tool that helps place the knot next to the pearl (sometimes I miss..grrrr) But the two strand where you pull the threads apart to tighten it works well every time for me. I don't knot as much as others here so if it works for me it should work for you :)

Thank you Katbran. I must ask...what size thread do you use? I think I might be using thread that is too thin for the size pearls. For example, I only have size two and four. Perhaps I need wider thread for the South Sea pearls so that the holes are covered better. What size silk thread do you recommend for Tahitians and SS pearls that range from 6mm keshies to 13mm SS and Tahitians?

Thank you for your guidance and direction,
Barbara

Hi Barbara,

If you are using silk, are you remembering to stretch it well before you begin? There is always some give insilk and stretching helps.

- Karin

Hi Barbara, Just a few suggestions~

Not all pearls are drilled with the same size hole. There can be quite a variation! And you may notice a difference in hole size when combining pearls from multiple vendors.

With the heavier pearls, it's been my experience that silk will stretch out faster. Making a few test knots with a short length of thread, but also checking to make sure you can get the thread back through the end pearls, deciding if you need to ream them out a little. (or use a bead tip finish, in which case no need to ream.) Wastes a little thread sometimes, but can save one a re-do.

Sarah of Kojima Pearls once gave this extremely useful tip: "thread is proper thickness when beads do not fall without a bit of help."

On occasion I've run a third thread to get the thickness needed to keep the knots from slipping back into the hole.

When I first started knotting (not so long ago), I thought I could figure out my own easy formula for all the variables, but each beautiful pearl strand is unique with its challenges, whether knotting my own design or stringing for someone else.

Thank you Karin and Pattye,

I have not been stretching the silk. The tip about pearls needing help to fall is a great one. So far, all drilled SS pearls on that necklace were from Edi at Agustus Collection. Also, all the golden and smaller white ones are keshi, so they are super smooth and soft, if that is a good descriptor. Also, there are never any ugly pits that expose the bead with her pearls. I don't mind the irregularities, I just love nacre, even with mild indentations. Much more interesting than my round ones. That is just a personal opinion. :) My mom only likes the round ones so...

Thank you very much for all help.
Barbara

Last edited:
Back