Rose or Ivory overtones?

F

Flenser

Hi--

I'm thinking of buying some earrings (and later a necklace) for my wife, and I've been reading a lot on this most excellent forum.

However, I haven't seen discussion of rose vs. ivory overtones. Perhaps I missed it -- there's a lot of good info here.

My wife has very fair "English" skin. Does anyone have an opinion on which type of overtone would look best for her?

I'm trying to make this a surprise; otherwise I'd just ask her. :)

Thanks!

I'd suggest going with a rose overtone with a white body color. My wife has a similar complexion and the rose overtone is really the best color for her.

While many sites, including ours, make selection easier for the consumer by lumping the body color and overtone colors together, they are separate things. The body color of a pearl is the primary color and is usually white or cream for Akoya pearls. Cream can be denoted as off-white, ivory, etc.. and white may be denoted as bright white, brilliant white, etc. A white body color is typically preferred over an ivory body color and makes the pearl more valuable.

The overtone color of a pearl is a subtle, translucent color that lies across a pearl's surface and is secondary to the body color. Overtone colors for Akoya pearls most commonly include rose and silver, though there are others.

The bottom line, my recommendation would be a white body color with a rose overtone.

I would have to agree with Terry. My wife also has a similar complexion - very fair skin. However, during the summer months if she spends any ammount of time in the sun she turns this wonderful shade of golden-brown. The rose overtones do look best on her with or without any sun.

Another thing that should be noted - since we are on the subject. Traditionally Mikimoto has offered Akoya pearls with a rose overtone while Tiffany & Co. has traditionally offered Akoya with a silver overtone.

Pearl colours

Pearl colours

Flenser said:
Hi--

I'm thinking of buying some earrings (and later a necklace) for my wife, and I've been reading a lot on this most excellent forum.

However, I haven't seen discussion of rose vs. ivory overtones. Perhaps I missed it -- there's a lot of good info here.

My wife has very fair "English" skin. Does anyone have an opinion on which type of overtone would look best for her?

I'm trying to make this a surprise; otherwise I'd just ask her. :)

Thanks!

Hi, all members!

here some suggestions I have found in one of my books:

dark skin - golden tints of pearls

pinkish skin - rosy cream colours of pearl

pale skin - pinkish, rosy white, and rosy cream colours of pearl

brunette hair - rosy cream pearls

reddish hair - rosy cream pearls

blonde hair - rose colours of pearl.

I hope that you have found some nice earrings for your wife, there are several of the members on the forum that can offer lots of different high-class pearls.

Jerin :)

I would agree with the others especially for a gift.

owever I have fair skin not pale but fair and Natural really Long red hair. I tend wear all colors of Pearls from white to cream to goleden tints to rosey....to Black, gold a mauve pearls... and more.. My Mama has the same skin tone as your wife and she can wear anything! Absolutely anything.... ( she is the kind of woman that can wear a strand of pearls with a potato sack and meet the queen for tea...... She has the nack to dress up anything with pearls!

Ash

Thanks!

Thanks!

Thanks to everyone who provided feedback.

I bought a pair of rose-overtoned earrings, and my wife loves them!

She hinted about a matching necklace, which will spoil her Christmas present. :)

This forum is definitely one of the best I've seen for polite people willing to help out.

Thanks again!

Excellent! And congratulations on a great purchase. It's always encouraging to see our advice end in another person's happiness.

Question

Question

The Pearl Outlet said:
I'd suggest going with a rose overtone with a white body color. My wife has a similar complexion and the rose overtone is really the best color for her.

While many sites, including ours, make selection easier for the consumer by lumping the body color and overtone colors together, they are separate things. The body color of a pearl is the primary color and is usually white or cream for Akoya pearls. Cream can be denoted as off-white, ivory, etc.. and white may be denoted as bright white, brilliant white, etc. A white body color is typically preferred over an ivory body color and makes the pearl more valuable.

The overtone color of a pearl is a subtle, translucent color that lies across a pearl's surface and is secondary to the body color. Overtone colors for Akoya pearls most commonly include rose and silver, though there are others.

The bottom line, my recommendation would be a white body color with a rose overtone.

Hi, I have one important question in buying the right pearls. I'am very fair skinned with red hair so I was going to go for the white pearls, but I think i might need a overtone like rose, but I have one problem, I need this pearl jewelry to go with every outfit I wear. So if I get a white with rose overtone will it go with all colors of clothes? And I saw your White Freshwater Set - 7.5mm AA+ on your site so I'm just wondering if this set is overtoned or not. Also is there such a thing as a green overtone?

Thanks, Tammi

Tam said:
Hi, I have one important question in buying the right pearls. I'am very fair skinned with red hair so I was going to go for the white pearls, but I think i might need a overtone like rose, but I have one problem, I need this pearl jewelry to go with every outfit I wear. So if I get a white with rose overtone will it go with all colors of clothes? And I saw your White Freshwater Set - 7.5mm AA+ on your site so I'm just wondering if this set is overtoned or not. Also is there such a thing as a green overtone?

Hi Tammi,

I am als oa redheard I wear cream ones. white is good on me only with my darker outfits and the darker colors are between me and the pearls. I love my cream ones... The cram ones go with everything I have from ,yu pastels to my darks, casual wear and eveningwear! Hope it helps

Ashby

Dear Tammi,

Dear Tammi,

Hello Tammi,

We often have customers that express the same concerns in regards to purchasing a color/overtone that won't match most of their outfits. Rose overtone certainly is the best match for your skin color/hair, and because the rose overtones are quite gentle in most cases, they do not appear overtly "pink" but rather most people do not detect the rose overtone unless placed next to cream colored or a true white necklace. My wife also prefers the rose overtone and she matches it with most any outfit, except when prefering to wear black Akoya (which also match well with most any outfit).

All of that just to say, I wouldn't worry so much about matching your pearls with your outfits. Whomever you buy from, simply request that they provide a necklace with a very gentle rose overtone, so that it will compliment your complextion without contrasting with your favorite outfits.

Best of luck!

Satine De La Courcel said:
Tam said:

Hi Tammi,

I am als oa redheard I wear cream ones. white is good on me only with my darker outfits and the darker colors are between me and the pearls. I love my cream ones... The cram ones go with everything I have from ,yu pastels to my darks, casual wear and eveningwear! Hope it helps

Ashby

Hi Ashby,

Thanks for the color advice. It helps me out a lot and I appreciate it, lol now I'm trying to find out if freshwater pearls will last if I wear them daily and if not then would ayoka pearls last if I wore them daily.

Thanks, Tammi

National Pearl said:
Hello Tammi,

We often have customers that express the same concerns in regards to purchasing a color/overtone that won't match most of their outfits. Rose overtone certainly is the best match for your skin color/hair, and because the rose overtones are quite gentle in most cases, they do not appear overtly "pink" but rather most people do not detect the rose overtone unless placed next to cream colored or a true white necklace. My wife also prefers the rose overtone and she matches it with most any outfit, except when prefering to wear black Akoya (which also match well with most any outfit).

All of that just to say, I wouldn't worry so much about matching your pearls with your outfits. Whomever you buy from, simply request that they provide a necklace with a very gentle rose overtone, so that it will compliment your complextion without contrasting with your favorite outfits.

Best of luck!

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for letting me know about the rose overtone and the outfit advice, thanks a bunch.

Thanks Tammi

Hi Tammi,

If you intend to wear them, go for freshwater cultured pearls. They will last. If you just want to display a box and papers and keep your pearls locked up, go for akoyas since they will not hold up.

Zeide

Zeide Erskine said:
Hi Tammi,

If you intend to wear them, go for freshwater cultured pearls. They will last. If you just want to display a box and papers and keep your pearls locked up, go for akoyas since they will not hold up.

Zeide

Hi Zeide,

Thank you for your reply, this is very helpful considering I was thinking about changing my mind and getting ayoka since a freind of mine told me the freshwater would not last. So thanks again for letting me know.

Tammi

Actually for the price that you were prepared to pay for the Akoya, you can get a great set of white Freshwater and a great set of peach or lavender...

Not many people seem to think about this color (lavender) until they actually see it. Without fail the reaction is "wow". To be honest with you this is fast becoming my absolute favorite color of pearl.

It has the advantages of being 100% nacre (since it is Freshwater), it is a naturally occuring color (not dyed), very unique, and looks equally as good on light skin and it does on darker skin tones.

Attachments

• lav2.jpg
    lav2.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Hi Stephen,

Those are lovely! Do you observe orient on the lavender like on the white?

Pattye Saab

Hi Pattye - the short answer is yes. This is a result of the many layers of nacre that make up a Freshwater. The light reflects from deep within, giving it that prism effect.

freshwater vs akoya nacre

freshwater vs akoya nacre

Stephen,

Quite a nice necklace indeed. Thanks for sharing.

Tami,

I think it is good advice to go freshwater if you plan to wear them often. I don't remember anyone really explaining why they last longer. When people on the forum say that freshwater have "more nacre" they are referring to the actual pearl "skin" for lack of a better term. The freshwater are basically 100% nacre, whereas Akoya pearls have an artificial bead implanted in an oyster which after 8 + months, results in a bead with a relatively thin layer of nacre. It could possibly last a lifetime, but it would not become an heirloom, that is for sure. Many prefer the Akoya because of their uniform roundness and luster. They tend to have higher luster than freshwater. However, freshwater are becoming rounder and rounder all the time because of advances in culturing techniques, and since they are 100% nacre, they will certainly last longer.

Hope this helps :)

Best Regards,

Hi Andrew,

Even a hanadama strand will deteriorate significantly within 10 years (or wear all the way down to the bead in case of larger pearls and highly treated smaller ones) while a freshwater strand of top quality will last for many lifetimes of daily wear.

Zeide

Pearls_by_Angela_Carol said:
Actually for the price that you were prepared to pay for the Akoya, you can get a great set of white Freshwater and a great set of peach or lavender...

Not many people seem to think about this color (lavender) until they actually see it. Without fail the reaction is "wow". To be honest with you this is fast becoming my absolute favorite color of pearl.

It has the advantages of being 100% nacre (since it is Freshwater), it is a naturally occuring color (not dyed), very unique, and looks equally as good on light skin and it does on darker skin tones.

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for the picture, I also thought the peach and lavender colors were nice also, thanks for the advice.

Tammi

Back