Rose or Ivory overtones?

National Pearl said:
Stephen,

Quite a nice necklace indeed. Thanks for sharing.

Tami,

I think it is good advice to go freshwater if you plan to wear them often. I don't remember anyone really explaining why they last longer. When people on the forum say that freshwater have "more nacre" they are referring to the actual pearl "skin" for lack of a better term. The freshwater are basically 100% nacre, whereas Akoya pearls have an artificial bead implanted in an oyster which after 8 + months, results in a bead with a relatively thin layer of nacre. It could possibly last a lifetime, but it would not become an heirloom, that is for sure. Many prefer the Akoya because of their uniform roundness and luster. They tend to have higher luster than freshwater. However, freshwater are becoming rounder and rounder all the time because of advances in culturing techniques, and since they are 100% nacre, they will certainly last longer.

Hope this helps :)

Best Regards,

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your reply, it definantly helps with the pearl buying.

Tammi

Zeide Erskine said:
Hi Andrew,

Even a hanadama strand will deteriorate significantly within 10 years (or wear all the way down to the bead in case of larger pearls and highly treated smaller ones) while a freshwater strand of top quality will last for many lifetimes of daily wear.

Zeide

Hi Zeide,

Does top quality mean I have to get AAA grade freshwaters or is AA still good quality to wear daily and have it last a lifetime?

Thanks, Tammi

Tami - I would like to comment on the question about AA quality vs AAA quality. First, be aware of the different grading scales of where you are buying. If the company uses A, AA, AA+ and AAA grades then you are getting the next to the lowest grade in Freshwater with an AA quality. IF the company also has an AAAA grade be wary. You will most likely be getting a lower grade than what other companies have at the same level. In other words their AAAA grade would be the same as everyone elses AAA grade (therefore you can not even compare their AAA grade to everyone elses AAA grade).

If the company uses the universally accepted AAA (three A) grading scale, the AA quality is still low. Look for AA+ or above. One large difference between AA, AA+ and AAA is the surface quality. AA grades will have about 85% of the surface that is inclusion free. AA+ will have about 90% of the surface that is inclusion free and AAA grades will have about 95% of the surface inclusion free. Also, there is a difference in roundness between the grades. While all of the freshwater pearls are all 100% nacre, they will all be as durable, it is only a question of surface quality, luster and roundness.

Personally I would not look for anything other than AA+ or AAA grades.

I would encourage yo to go with the AAA freshwater if this is to be your necklace and you want it to look good for many years and many generations of wear.

Right now, the prices are low compared to akoyas the same size. CFWP (Cultured Freshwater Pearls) are the best buy right now, because the market popularity has not caught up to the fast-improving quality of the culturing techniques. I think this is a unique situation in the history of cultured pearls and should not last, as more and more people see how high quality they are and compete to buy.

We consumers are lucky to be here and now, and have this knowledge- this imbalance in quality and price will probably not last.

Pearls_by_Angela_Carol said:
Tami - I would like to comment on the question about AA quality vs AAA quality. First, be aware of the different grading scales of where you are buying. If the company uses A, AA, AA+ and AAA grades then you are getting the next to the lowest grade in Freshwater with an AA quality. IF the company also has an AAAA grade be wary. You will most likely be getting a lower grade than what other companies have at the same level. In other words their AAAA grade would be the same as everyone elses AAA grade (therefore you can not even compare their AAA grade to everyone elses AAA grade).

If the company uses the universally accepted AAA (three A) grading scale, the AA quality is still low. Look for AA+ or above. One large difference between AA, AA+ and AAA is the surface quality. AA grades will have about 85% of the surface that is inclusion free. AA+ will have about 90% of the surface that is inclusion free and AAA grades will have about 95% of the surface inclusion free. Also, there is a difference in roundness between the grades. While all of the freshwater pearls are all 100% nacre, they will all be as durable, it is only a question of surface quality, luster and roundness.

Personally I would not look for anything other than AA+ or AAA grades.

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your reply, I saw a few sets that were AA+ that I liked. So AA+ is pretty much as good as AAA, right?

Thanks, Tammi

Caitlin Williams said:
I would encourage yo to go with the AAA freshwater if this is to be your necklace and you want it to look good for many years and many generations of wear.

Right now, the prices are low compared to akoyas the same size. CFWP (Cultured Freshwater Pearls) are the best buy right now, because the market popularity has not caught up to the fast-improving quality of the culturing techniques. I think this is a unique situation in the history of cultured pearls and should not last, as more and more people see how high quality they are and compete to buy.

We consumers are lucky to be here and now, and have this knowledge- this imbalance in quality and price will probably not last.

Hi Caitlin,

Thanks for your advice on the freshwater quality, it helps out a lot in choosing the right pearls.

Thanks, Tammi

Tam said:
Hi, I have one important question in buying the right pearls. I'am very fair skinned with red hair so I was going to go for the white pearls, but I think i might need a overtone like rose, but I have one problem, I need this pearl jewelry to go with every outfit I wear. So if I get a white with rose overtone will it go with all colors of clothes? And I saw your White Freshwater Set - 7.5mm + AAon your site so I'm just wondering if this set is overtoned or not. Also is there such a thing as a green overtone?

Thanks, Tammi[/QUOTE

Hi Terry,

I asked about your White Freshwater Set - 7.5mm + AA on your site a while back and I needed to know if it was more like a cream colored or overtoned since it's hard to tell looking at it online and also can I increase the length of the the necklace?

Thanks, Tammi

Tam said:
Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your reply, I saw a few sets that were AA+ that I liked. So AA+ is pretty much as good as AAA, right?

Thanks, Tammi

Tammi, it depends on what you mean by "as good". In terms of makeup - yes, they are both 100% nacre (as are all Freshwater pearls). However, the AAA grade will be round where the AA+ grade will not be as round. Also, the AAA grade will only have about 5% or less of the pearl with inclusions on the surface and the AA+ grade will have up to 10% of the surface with inclusions.

This is not to say that AA+ pearls are not good - they are. But there is a difference between the two. One that is noticeable. Personally I agree with Caitlin and would go for AAA Freshwater pearls. She is correct in that the prices are good right now and that they will do noting but increase in value over time.

As a business owner I have made a "personal" choice not to carry any Freshwater pearls other than AAA quality. The only exception to this is dyed black Freshwater. We have some AAA quality blacks, but most of the blacks are AA+ quality. In white, peach and lavender we only carry AAA grade.

Pearls_by_Angela_Carol said:
Tammi, it depends on what you mean by "as good". In terms of makeup - yes, they are both 100% nacre (as are all Freshwater pearls). However, the AAA grade will be round where the AA+ grade will not be as round. Also, the AAA grade will only have about 5% or less of the pearl with inclusions on the surface and the AA+ grade will have up to 10% of the surface with inclusions.

This is not to say that AA+ pearls are not good - they are. But there is a difference between the two. One that is noticeable. Personally I agree with Caitlin and would go for AAA Freshwater pearls. She is correct in that the prices are good right now and that they will do noting but increase in value over time.

As a business owner I have made a "personal" choice not to carry any Freshwater pearls other than AAA quality. The only exception to this is dyed black Freshwater. We have some AAA quality blacks, but most of the blacks are AA+ quality. In white, peach and lavender we only carry AAA grade.

Stephen,

When I said "as good" I meant would they last as long as AAA grade freshwaters would. Thanks for all the advice you have given me.

Thanks, Tammi

Christmas time...

Christmas time...

OK, so previously in this thread I bought my wife some 8-8.5mm white Akoya earrings, which she loves. Now it's time for the necklace.

From comments on this forum, it appears that freshwater pearls are now "it"?

Can I get freshwaters that will go with the Akoyas, or should I stick with the Akoyas?

Should I get the same size pearls for the necklace as I did for the earrings, or larger, or smaller?

As always, thanks for your help!

Back