Rio has Galatea pearls on sale

Oh cool, thanks for letting us know. I personally love them!

I saw that in my email from Rio today! NOTE: Read the descriptions carefully, as some are full drilled and some are half drilled.

I am fascinated by these pearls and would love to see them in person. I have been contemplating various tin cup options since yesterday. I haven't pulled the trigger because I already have another project in the works at PP.

KaySD, don't know if this helps or not, but you might look at PP for ideas ... they have/had a necklace I bought in the clearance sale. It's a short 18" or so, "stations" or "tin cup" style, only the stations are about 2" of tiny black spinel, interspersed with dark Galatea pearls. At the center there is a loose Galatea pearl dangling charm. My pearls are all the "acorn" carving. Not exactly what you're talking about, but it might get you started :) If there's not a photo on PP I could take a photo; I love my set (it has matching earrings).

I am tempted as well. At first, I really disliked the idea of carved pearls. Then, I saw a video of one in motion and changed my mind. I would love to see one in real life. Unfortunately, the fun fund has been obliterated. Well, maybe if a few pieces sell this weekend.

KaySD, don't know if this helps or not, but you might look at PP for ideas ... they have/had a necklace I bought in the clearance sale. It's a short 18" or so, "stations" or "tin cup" style, only the stations are about 2" of tiny black spinel, interspersed with dark Galatea pearls. At the center there is a loose Galatea pearl dangling charm. My pearls are all the "acorn" carving. Not exactly what you're talking about, but it might get you started :) If there's not a photo on PP I could take a photo; I love my set (it has matching earrings).

I would love to see a photo of your set! I was thinking of using 3-4" of small faceted aquamarine rondelles between the pearl stations. The aquas and white FW should be lovely together for Spring/Summer. Of course, I also love the way Tahitians look with aquas on Jersey Pearl's Mermaid necklace! (The Tahitians would be a bigger budget hit, of course.)

I'm having a long tin cup with GSS and Tahitians and black spinel made right now.

I'll see if I can get a photo for you tomorrow KaySD :)

Beatriz, it's been my somewhat limited experience that the carved pearls are much prettier in person! Mine are Tahitian acorns and one leaf teardrop from Pearl Paradise. There is a certain subtle, glittery and lovely gem-like quality to the edges of the carving that just doesn't show up online or in photos.

I know you've all seen this before, but here's my carved Galatea drop. The color is fairly uniform, but those cut edges sparkle and glitter in the sun almost like a gemstone ... quite surprising to me. Rio so far doesn't have the "leaf" or the "acorn" carvings.

3 Pearl Pendant 1.jpg

Thanks Baby Nurse ... it's a favorite of mine. I just wish the photo, as great as it is (courtesy of Pearl Paradise glamour shot, not my bad photography), could capture that unusual glittery edge along the carvings. Subtle, but yet like the edges were dipped in the finest bit of diamond dust, and only seen in certain lights. My "acorn" pearls don't really exhibit the same, but those are much darker in color.

Back