require advice

cobaltblue

Hi
I've been reading this forum and researching online looking for the 'perfect' strand of pearls for my daughter for the last several days. Now I'm so overwhelmed and confused about pearls:) HELP!

Sooo the particulars that may help.
- a short strand for her birthday (14"), but want it to be special enough to last her
- 5'6", golden brown hair, green eyes, fair and very slim
- has elegant taste and very mature for an older teen
- budget up to $300 (maybe a little more)
- it would be her first pearl necklace

** recommend a good online store - I live in Canada

Thank you so much....

Hi Cobalt. So much of it is just personal preference, so for what it's worth, here are my thoughts. I'm focusing on your desire for her to get long term use from it:

- 14" is very short. 18" (or at least 16") seems to me much more versatile, unless she specifically requested a collar/choker. I believe 18" is the most popular length but I could be wrong on that. And 14" may be hard to find, you may have to get it as a custom order which would probably make it nonreturnable. Also for long term use, 7.5-8.0mm pearl size is very nice. Many of the "teenish" (small pearls) strands seem too small just a few years later.

- Just one company suggestion, because they are huge and well trusted here, is Pearl Paradise. They are in California. I don't know any companies in Canada but maybe someone else will have more company suggestions.

- Every pearl company seems to have their own grading scale. Pearl Paradise's top-of-the-line is called "freshadama," but their AAA is also quite nice. If you use the chat function on the site, you can ask to see some actual photos of strands to choose from. The strand below in AAA quality would be a good choice, in my opinion, especially if you wanted to get the stud earrings at the same time. That way they could match the overtones well for you, and the set would come in at just under $300. :)

http://www.pearlparadise.com/7580-mm-White-Freshwater-Pearl-Necklace60.aspx

Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:
I recommend getting this one in 16": http://www.pearlparadise.com/7580-mm-White-Freshadama-Freshwater-Pearl-Necklace746.aspx

If you want it to be more adaptable for when she is older, buy the 18" length, but have them string it up as a 16" length and send you the extra few pearls so that it could be lengthened later with pearls that already are matched.

Be sure that it would not be a custom order though as they are not returnable, as Sea Urchin pointed out. Use Live Chat to have a discussiom with staff who will help you get the right tone for her fair skin.

Since she is young and very slender I would definitely opt for 16" or under and go for a smaller mm pearl...maybe 6-6.5mm. I am in my 30's and very slim and I still enjoy wearing smaller mm pearls :D You might also consider a 35" rope. I have a 36" 5.5-6mm akoya strand from Pearl Paradise that I absolutely love. I like the versatility of being able to wear it as a rope or as a double strand. I would go with this 35" freshwater rope from Pearl Paradise if I were buying for my own daughter, and definitey go for the AAA. There is also a great post on the Pearl Paradise blog HERE that talks about the versatility of a smaller mm rope. Good luck!

That's a great idea, LitGeek. And even in AAA it's within the $300 price limit.

WOW - Thank you so much for your ideas. I agree that the 16" would be best - not sure what I was thinking at 14"! I'll have a look at your links and muse some more - but time is running out!:D

BTW - I happened to source a Canadian online store based in Nova Scotia called Select Pearls. Has anyone heard of them?

I'll try the Live Chat - thanks again

Back