Red dyed CFWPearls are becoming more popular every year

Not big ones, especially for the cranberry/lavenders. They're very quickly sold out as well due to limited quantities.

It's painful to keep chasing an obsession, I tell ya ...

It's great that now we are getting some quality chocolate pearls, red and gold, and green? and of course, peacocks. But for a long time, most of the dyed pearls were only the poorer quality pearls, and dyed all sorts of funky colors, still are, okay for crafts but not suitable for nicer jewelry. Wonder what colors will be next?

There were certainly a lot of better quality pearls dyed at the show. Almost all of the emerald/olive greens were decent pearls. Didn't chase any myself, but there were also lots of yellow golds - almost like the yellow akoya type colour, only just a touch brighter.

I am only going to say this once and then duck. I think pearls should look like pearls. Not Cranberry's. or Chocolate. But that's just me. I know that taste is wide ranging. And that sales are the biz we are in. Just a personal preference.:)

I'm not sure why I'm currently so obsessed. I have never been a fan of dyed pearls, especially the low grade ones. But perhaps the purist in me is dying out as the Aussie dollar drops ... dyed freshwaters can be a funky cheap thrill until I have enough fire power to burn a huge hole in my pocket. I've got enough of the regular pearls to want to branch out.

I'm not sure why I'm currently so obsessed. I have never been a fan of dyed pearls, especially the low grade ones. But perhaps the purist in me is dying out as the Aussie dollar drops ... dyed freshwaters can be a funky cheap thrill until I have enough fire power to burn a huge hole in my pocket. I've got enough of the regular pearls to want to branch out.
They are pretty. I won't argue that point at all. And many people like them. And that's what sales are about.

I am only going to say this once and then duck. I think pearls should look like pearls. Not Cranberry's. or Chocolate. But that's just me. I know that taste is wide ranging. And that sales are the biz we are in. Just a personal preference.:)

I agree to some extent. Chocolates can be beautiful in person... I'm just excited to see these ones-- high quality- dyed pearls.

Also, I don't really like the look of pearl+other gemstone jewelry (with the exception of aquamarine, ultra dainty wire jewelry). It looks really odd imo. I like them as either strands or pendants.

Hi Andrew!
Welcome!
I just changed the post above that misled you. Let let me explain more: Those Lop Noors are faux Lop Noors because they are just beautiful, dyed, red Chinese CFWP!

Thanks Caitlin, now I can share the joke!(Though I do feel like I made a real faux pas. I guess that's better than a faux faux pas, anyway. Good thing I'm not using a webcam otherwise you'd see I'm dyed red!)

Ok, I finally have a photo of the new Lop Noors. They are 9-10mm and we'll do a private (PG Only) offering next week.
lop-noor-zoom.jpg

Ooh! Nice :D

Very nice! Just what I've been looking for ...

They are nice, Terry, and certainly are a good quality pearl underneath the dye. Still, sadly, not for me - but that's not what counts!

These are the well-known local variant on Lop Noors, the eeeh bye gum pearls which come from the near-by Black pool.....

Last edited:
Back